U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 10:20 PM

10,422 posts, read 9,111,279 times

Advertisements

I'd rather take my chances with DDT than bedbugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 10:28 PM

5,601 posts, read 5,435,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
I'd rather take my chances with DDT than bedbugs.
Absolutely.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:08 AM

4,105 posts, read 3,745,562 times
I read recently --can't remember where, WSJ or NYT maybe--that there's very little scientific research on bedbugs. Now that it's become a big problem in the U.S., there are starting to be studies.

Sooner or later, someone will discover a fix. Until then, stay out of New York hotels which are notorious for bedbugs.

Some people are bringing their own mattress bags and wrapping up the hotel mattress. Of course there's still the carpeting and chairs. Maybe just get an RV when you travel....

Old 11-23-2017, 07:22 AM

27,079 posts, read 54,313,807 times
One of the property managers I know had a continuing problem and it took several years to find the common link.

Single family home with long term tenant.

The Mom kicks her 18 year old daughter out on the street because of daughters lifestyle.

Daughter goes from flop house to flop house... after 6 months is allowed back home... within weeks bedbugs are a problem...

Daughter and mother get into to it and kicked out a again... thousands spent to irradiate with Heat...

9 months no problems... Mother takes daughter back after living on streets and who knows were else... bedbugs come back...

Traveling can certainly make you a carrier and especially when you have no place to stay...

The property owner has had it... selling everything residential... it is not sustainable spending 6-8k per year on pest control for a single family home...

Think about... what in the world did the owner of a single family suburban home have to do with the infestation but the owner is stuck with the costs...

Old 11-23-2017, 08:10 AM

10,712 posts, read 9,319,778 times
Bed Bug hunting dogs, the cheaper alternative:Beagle vs. bedbug: The hunt is on

Old 11-23-2017, 08:23 AM

6,231 posts, read 5,648,507 times
Bed bugs will be around long after humans are gone

Old 11-23-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
One of the property managers I know had a continuing problem and it took several years to find the common link.

Single family home with long term tenant.

The Mom kicks her 18 year old daughter out on the street because of daughters lifestyle.

Daughter goes from flop house to flop house... after 6 months is allowed back home... within weeks bedbugs are a problem...

Daughter and mother get into to it and kicked out a again... thousands spent to irradiate with Heat...

9 months no problems... Mother takes daughter back after living on streets and who knows were else... bedbugs come back...

Traveling can certainly make you a carrier and especially when you have no place to stay...

The property owner has had it... selling everything residential... it is not sustainable spending 6-8k per year on pest control for a single family home...

Think about... what in the world did the owner of a single family suburban home have to do with the infestation but the owner is stuck with the costs...
That sort of dovetails with the anecdote on Dr. Oz, told by an entomologist, who found that a bed bug infestation in an apartment complex. The traced it down to a male tenant was making the rounds of available lades who also lived in the complex. He left them with bed bugs after visiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlnFz3STqHE

Her segment starts at about 4:00 in.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:00 AM

8,158 posts, read 12,119,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
PS: Anyone considering the purchase of a piece of used furniture, not just bedding but ANY used furniture, especially sofas and chairs, should go on line and look up how to test it for bedbugs BEFORE purchasing it. There are some excellent youtube videos on the subject. It can save you some major aggravation.
The scary part is that even with new furniture, appliances and anything that gets delivered you aren't safe.

Buy a brand new mattress? Washing machine? Sofa? XYZ? Its delivered in a truck that hauled an old mattress away. Bedbugs are great hitchhikers.

Haven't had them but living in Ohio, constantly one of the top 5 states for BB for years, it turned up on my radar awhile ago. Years ago it was so bad in Cinncinnati they created a ban for taking furniture from the curb and had a 1800 number for curb pickup of furniture. I'm not sure how or why Ohio got them so early so much but while we have some immigrants I don't think we have ever had some huge major influx.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
The scary part is that even with new furniture, appliances and anything that gets delivered you aren't safe.

Buy a brand new mattress? Washing machine? Sofa? XYZ? Its delivered in a truck that hauled an old mattress away. Bedbugs are great hitchhikers.

Haven't had them but living in Ohio, constantly one of the top 5 states for BB for years, it turned up on my radar awhile ago. Years ago it was so bad in Cinncinnati they created a ban for taking furniture from the curb and had a 1800 number for curb pickup of furniture. I'm not sure how or why Ohio got them so early so much but while we have some immigrants I don't think we have ever had some huge major influx.
You bring up some very good points here. As much as I am not happy with how immigration is and isn't handled at the present time, immigrants, both legal and illegal, have unfairly become sort of a scapegoat for the problem. Sure, immigrants can bring bed bugs, but so can citizens. My guess, regarding Ohio, is that commerce probably had a lot to do with it. Some large shipment or series of shipments that were infected and where Ohio was the final destination. But it could be something else.

You guys have really gotten me interested in the subject with this thread. Lots of youtube videos on bedbugs out there, which is great, but the problem is, you have to become selective in what you watch, because there can be so much incorrect information, sometimes from well meaning people. My favorite source right now is an exterminator in Virginia who has his own channel and does a very good job of explaining things in a "regular guy" sort of way. It's fascinating how certain effective treatments seem to get banned and they have to find something else, and sometimes that "something else" is available in one state but not in others.

I also prefer getting my information from people like him, rather than some hipster Ryan Seacrest look-alike who is basically just a spokesperson who looks good spewing a bunch of "facts" at you. And I've heard a couple of whoppers disguised as "facts". In this age of weaponized, monetized and politicized science, it's hard to know who or what to believe, so someone who has had long experience with eradicating bed bugs carries a lot of weight with me.

While I disagree with the one poster about DDT, the fact that DDT was so effective for decades even long after it was banned, demonstrates the "persistence" of the substance.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:46 PM

9,635 posts, read 4,277,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
It is my understanding that several studies indicate that DDT is not responsible for the thinning/cracking eggs. That said, I still wouldn't use it.
Wow, I've never seen very credible references to those so-called "studies". You can read what you like, trust the sources you like or agree with. Research can always be tainted by a special bias, but over time the majority of studies (on an international scale, not just the US BTW) still recognizes the links found in the 60s and 70s. A very long term program of monitoring in the brown pelican off the CA coast and Channel Islands still bears out that cause/effect work and has been ongoing since the early 70s. Public perception also changes because for many it is no longer an "issue". The links were found, use of the pesticide at those pretty pervasive levels was banned, bird populations eventually recovered, so now people second-guess the whole issue. Hot spots soaked in DDT/DDE are still being found or get re-activated through exposure; and the problem surfaces after local wildlife starts dropping dead. It is also complicated because research into the mechanism by which DDT actually causes these effects has been revised. Its complicated. DDT itself degrades into DDE in environmental systems and that has a more direct link to bird toxicity, calcium metabolism, etc.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-23-2017 at 01:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or