U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 08:37 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,678,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I'm paranoid about traveling because I'm afraid I'll bring them home from a hotel. I also have a parrot, and I can't use any of those pesticides with her in the house, so we'd have to move out (?to another hotel) for the weeks/months the treatment would require. The consequences of bedbugs are more dire to me than the flood my town just had.
We had cockatoos when we had an infestation. We had to put them outside and they had to remain for 8 hours after the house was treated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 08:51 PM

5,610 posts, read 3,063,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
While it is true anything bloodsucking has the potential to transmit disease I believe I would have gotten something as many times as I was bitten. Their bites were the itchiest I have ever had, so it could be possible to get a skin infection from the scratching.
You may have been allergic to their bite. And bedbugs can carry typhus, although it's been a while since I've heard of anyone having that.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:17 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,678,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You may have been allergic to their bite. And bedbugs can carry typhus, although it's been a while since I've heard of anyone having that.
I believe the primary carriers of typhus is fleas, ticks and lice although I wouldn't rule out a bedbug. Actually the incredible itching is a reaction not so much to the actual bite but the little bit of local anesthetic these horrid things inject pre-bite.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:48 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,901 times
I was reading last week that predators of bed bugs are centipedes. lol. As benign as centipedes are, they're kind of unpleasant to come across - trying to imagine filling a whole room with them to get rid of the problem.

Otther things that eat bedbugs are cockroaches, ants, spiders, mites and something called Reduvius personatus - a.k.a The Masked Bedbug Hunter. Sounds like a horror movie even without a plot.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:58 AM

14,025 posts, read 14,517,838 times
Bedbugs if you live in a standalone house, are pretty manageable in terms of getting rid of them, but you need to have some off-site storage facilities for it to be easy, I think. In an apartment or hotel room, there's not a lot you can do to avoid them. I was in a hotel room for two nights where I got eaten alive by bedbugs - seriously, my arms and body were covered in bites. I was a paranoid mess for 6 months, but I was very diligent about preventative measures once I understood what was going on.

I checked the seams of every piece of luggage and clothing before it went into my car. I searched the dogs from nose to tail. It was winter, so I left everything in my car in freezing temperatures for a few days after that. And for months, I did random spot checks in the seams and corners of everything I owned. Never any sign of them. It's partly that I was lucky, but also that I was incredibly diligent about checking for them and taking precautions.

You can blame immigrants or whatever, but the truth is that we are in a globalized world. Parasites and insects are going to travel unless you shut down borders.

And honestly, bedbugs have been overhyped as an issue. They are not the malevolently magical creatures that they are made out to be. They can be very difficult to get rid of, but you can do it - you just have to be a certain kind of paranoid and persistent.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:35 AM

5,620 posts, read 5,454,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Bedbugs if you live in a standalone house, are pretty manageable in terms of getting rid of them, but you need to have some off-site storage facilities for it to be easy, I think. In an apartment or hotel room, there's not a lot you can do to avoid them. I was in a hotel room for two nights where I got eaten alive by bedbugs - seriously, my arms and body were covered in bites. I was a paranoid mess for 6 months, but I was very diligent about preventative measures once I understood what was going on.

I checked the seams of every piece of luggage and clothing before it went into my car. I searched the dogs from nose to tail. It was winter, so I left everything in my car in freezing temperatures for a few days after that. And for months, I did random spot checks in the seams and corners of everything I owned. Never any sign of them. It's partly that I was lucky, but also that I was incredibly diligent about checking for them and taking precautions.

You can blame immigrants or whatever, but the truth is that we are in a globalized world. Parasites and insects are going to travel unless you shut down borders.

And honestly, bedbugs have been overhyped as an issue. They are not the malevolently magical creatures that they are made out to be. They can be very difficult to get rid of, but you can do it - you just have to be a certain kind of paranoid and persistent.

If you think bedbugs are overhyped as an issue, then why take all those precautions? I don't think it's been hyped enough. Surely it hasn't been hyped enough if hotels are loaded with them. Surely it hasn't been hyped enough if second hand stores can sell infested items without so much as a disclaimer being posted. Surely it hasn't been hyped enough if rental property, even re-sale home, are not required to treat for them.

We may be living in a globalized world, but that doesn't mean we can't seek effective solutions for the problems caused by globalization.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:57 AM

4,807 posts, read 6,996,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post

Here's how you can find out if you have bed bugs where you live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WMGmuKza_E
I don't understand...if they could climb up the outside of the cup to get inside, why can't they climb out again?

Someone said diatomaceous earth (DE) was not legal in some places....huh? Ordered mine on Amazon and also got some at Tractor Supply.

Someone else mentioned using themselves for bait...when you are doing this, the best way to do it is to put cups or saucers of some sort under the legs of your bed and put DE in them. They walk through it to get to you, and they will die. It is a mechanical method, not a poison method. Do not let any of your bed covers touch the floor while doing this.

You can also put a fine dusting of DE around the baseboards, in nightstands, electrical outlets, etc. Just anywhere they might be hiding.

Apologies if these ideas have already been posted, don't have time to read all posts right now.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I don't understand...if they could climb up the outside of the cup to get inside, why can't they climb out again?

Someone said diatomaceous earth (DE) was not legal in some places....huh? Ordered mine on Amazon and also got some at Tractor Supply.

Someone else mentioned using themselves for bait...when you are doing this, the best way to do it is to put cups or saucers of some sort under the legs of your bed and put DE in them. They walk through it to get to you, and they will die. It is a mechanical method, not a poison method. Do not let any of your bed covers touch the floor while doing this.

You can also put a fine dusting of DE around the baseboards, in nightstands, electrical outlets, etc. Just anywhere they might be hiding.

Apologies if these ideas have already been posted, don't have time to read all posts right now.
I prefer a natural or organic solution to most things, if it exists. DE can be effective under the right circumstances, but is not for everyone, especially if they have respiratory problems, and has to be applied properly and in the correct quantity.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:10 PM

12,102 posts, read 17,122,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think maybe DDT needs to be approved for use limited to indoors and for treatment of bedbugs. That kills them.

The problem with DDT was involved with some species of birds. If the DDT is limited to indoor use, it should not affect birds. This bedbug thing is a plague and really calls for emergency measures.
Actually, phosgen kiils them. Yep, the military gas. They used to sell it in spray cans back in 'ol country. Contact only. Was sold under name Dikhlofos. Di chlorine phosgene.

I am very sorry to read about this. It is a literally impossible to rid of bug. Burning mattresses, sheets, etc, does nothing. They will reside in any tiny crack anywhere around their dinner table - furniture, tapestry, wallpaper (Oh yeah, wallpaper), floorboard, anywhere. They are FLAT. They proliferate very fast. Unlike roaches, cold does not kill them, so opening all doors and windows winter time and freezing out the house don't bother them.

If you live in apartment, they are at neighbors also. So killing them in your apartment means nothing, they will come back.
Then you keep spraying and spraying and spraying, until you basically live in a toxin filled box.
Unfortunately, been there. They were plague where I come from. Have no idea how many years of life we lost due to all the sprays used and inhaled or living with.

About the only method to rid of them in a house is complete fumigation. For couple days. Plus, ridding of literally all soft goods that were around them. Say, you go to hotel while place is fumigated. chances you took some with you, with laptop, clothes - are actually quite good.

I am very sorry, folks. It was a nightmare in my life.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Actually, phosgen kiils them. Yep, the military gas. They used to sell it in spray cans back in 'ol country. Contact only. Was sold under name Dikhlofos. Di chlorine phosgene.

I am very sorry to read about this. It is a literally impossible to rid of bug. Burning mattresses, sheets, etc, does nothing. They will reside in any tiny crack anywhere around their dinner table - furniture, tapestry, wallpaper (Oh yeah, wallpaper), floorboard, anywhere. They are FLAT. They proliferate very fast. Unlike roaches, cold does not kill them, so opening all doors and windows winter time and freezing out the house don't bother them.

If you live in apartment, they are at neighbors also. So killing them in your apartment means nothing, they will come back.
Then you keep spraying and spraying and spraying, until you basically live in a toxin filled box.
Unfortunately, been there. They were plague where I come from. Have no idea how many years of life we lost due to all the sprays used and inhaled or living with.

About the only method to rid of them in a house is complete fumigation. For couple days. Plus, ridding of literally all soft goods that were around them. Say, you go to hotel while place is fumigated. chances you took some with you, with laptop, clothes - are actually quite good.

I am very sorry, folks. It was a nightmare in my life.
Are you from Ukraine? I really appreciate your story and thank you for telling it. People need to understand the reality of this plague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or