U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 05:12 AM

12,907 posts, read 5,935,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It is not that it could have dug a hole, it had a hole. They all have holes. They live in holes. Small mammals survive horrendous wildfires all the time.

I feel sorry for all its babies that were safe in the warren who will now die becaue their mother was taken away by someone that watched Bambi too many times and wanted a cool video to put on social media.
Because it had a hole somewhere it doesn't mean it was able to get to it. The hole was probably already in an area covered in flames. Also, besides the point that rabbits don't breed this time of year, what makes you think it was a female with babies, it could have just as easily been a male rabbit......just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 06:47 AM

10,927 posts, read 8,988,753 times
Do cottontail rabbits dig holes?? I thought they built hollowed nests in underbrush.

European rabbits, which I think are actually hares, do dig holes - but not American rabbits, as far as I know.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:57 AM

2,217 posts, read 1,319,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Do cottontail rabbits dig holes?? I thought they built hollowed nests in underbrush.

European rabbits, which I think are actually hares, do dig holes - but not American rabbits, as far as I know.
Cottontails do dig holes. The underbrush is their protection.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:02 AM

15,739 posts, read 7,824,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
When you really stop to think about it, what's with the cameraman? I'm as big an animal lover as anyone could be, but this one seems a bit staged. Who stops to film someone chasing and catching a bunny just inches from fire on all sides? Nobody I know.
I thought the same thing. I wonder if that guy learned how to hop up and down in acting class.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:26 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,798,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Cottontails do dig holes. The underbrush is their protection.
They aren't digging in our area. Man has to use machines to get through the caliche. They have them in underbrush.
The population dies down noticably this time of year cause of the coyotes. Which are here nightly and the guards say its a blood bath on the golf course.

I'm with the person who states a fire will scrouch the earth and use any air it can get, even in a hole.

The guy's heart was in the right place. That is more than many people can say.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:55 AM

20,012 posts, read 22,344,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
No he's actually getting trashed by wildlife grps as they say the rabbit could have dug a hole and survived...

But I understand his acts, I could not watch a rabbit get burned for anything.
Most wild life activists are morons. That rabbit couldn’t dig a hole fast enough. Not that a rabbit would do that in such situation. The rabbit wouldn’t correlate digging a hole = save my life. Animals don’t think that way. Obviously lots of humans are pretty dumb hence Darwin’s winner awards.
As soon as that guy picked up that rabbit the rabbits survival chances went up 100%.

Even IF the rabbit dig a hole to save its life (that rabbit would need shovels for paws to dig that fast). Heat from a fire tends to travel down in the ground too. I guess roasted wabbit for dinner is a good choice too. and would most likely die well before getting roasted from breathing overheated air, but I won’t let that get in the way.

That guy did a very kind human gesture and saved a helpless animal.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:47 AM

15,880 posts, read 18,671,063 times
I admit I was talking out of my ass regarding the breeding season.

As for burrowing mammals surviving wildfires, that I learned in a lecture on the post- fire ecosystem of Yellowstone NP after the devastating wildfires that struck that area in the mid-80s.

Of course all animal mortality rates are high in events like this, including burrowing mammals. I just don't think people should interfere in situations like this.

I was reminded of the "photo-op" some tourist got last year of an "abandoned" bison calf that they brought to a ranger station and the thing ended up being destroyed anyway because attempts to reunite it with its herd were unsuccessful as they rejected it.

I am just really jaded by all these meaningless nature savior stories. I mean, how many rabbits were turned into roadkill across North America on that morning's commute? How many chickens were eaten? How many dogs euthanized in shelters? Ooh, but here is a bunny and a man sillhouetted by flame!

I am not against saving animals by any means. Almost everyday I read some heartwarming story, but this one just blew up all over social media and was so melodramatic, almost as if by design.

To Rescue or Not, That is the Question With Distressed Animals - Latest Stories
National Geographic
› news › 1...

Old 12-09-2017, 12:45 PM

21,697 posts, read 24,471,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
When you really stop to think about it, what's with the cameraman? I'm as big an animal lover as anyone could be, but this one seems a bit staged. Who stops to film someone chasing and catching a bunny just inches from fire on all sides? Nobody I know.
Maybe it was another person in the car with him who waited until he jumped out to pick up the rabbit. He may not have been alone. I would have taken a video had I been with him. How on earth would he stage this anyway? By throwing the bunny out of car and then going after it? Come on! He didn’t want publicity so why would he even do that?

Old 12-09-2017, 04:37 PM

12,907 posts, read 5,935,349 times
It would have been really hard to stage. I suppose you can throw a rabbit out there next to the flames and hope you can grab it before it either roasts or runs into traffic and becomes road kill.
The video was taken by passers by that stopped because they didn't know what the guy was doing next to the flames and were concerned. They probably thought he might need some help. You can hear two people in the car talking asking each other "what is he doing" and then realizing he was trying to save an animal.
As far as helping animals like this, I think it's fair to help them since the fire isn't even a natural one. You're not interfering with nature because nature didn't start the fire. These fires are caused by people either intentionally or by accident. The only time these dry hills catch on fire naturally is with lightning strikes which wasn't the cause of these fires. So I think it's fair since if not for people interfering to begin with these animals wouldn't be burning to death.
Yes, rabbits are killed by the thousands by predators and traffic and hunting. But for this specific rabbit, he got to live another day which in the grand scheme of things isn't very important except for him or her. I'm certain he liked living a little bit longer rather than die a horrible death by flames.

Last edited by marino760; 12-09-2017 at 04:46 PM..

Old 12-09-2017, 05:04 PM

6,201 posts, read 4,615,636 times
I don't know about down there, but the wild rabbits up here just give birth in tall grass, feed them for a few days to a couple of weeks, and then they are left to fend for themselves.

Kudos to this man who saved this rabbit's life. I would have done the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or