U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 10:30 AM

12,915 posts, read 5,940,548 times

Advertisements

Wow, this is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZxpz3hQmRY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 10:36 AM

17,160 posts, read 13,957,400 times
yes, it was all over the news yesterday. I hope he's going to get some $$$ for that - he is a true hero - I am sure he is getting invited to lots of tv stations.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:19 AM

27,091 posts, read 6,884,296 times
No he's actually getting trashed by wildlife grps as they say the rabbit could have dug a hole and survived...

But I understand his acts, I could not watch a rabbit get burned for anything.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:40 AM

21,908 posts, read 23,076,490 times
all's well that ends well, but he's lucky that it wasn't the The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog...the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on

Old 12-08-2017, 11:43 AM

12,915 posts, read 5,940,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
No he's actually getting trashed by wildlife grps as they say the rabbit could have dug a hole and survived...

But I understand his acts, I could not watch a rabbit get burned for anything.
I think it was a little too late for that rabbit to dig a hole. He was obviously confused and scared, stuck between the flames and the highway with no where else to go.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:45 PM

8,654 posts, read 7,411,353 times
Kudos to that young man for taking the time to rescue a terrified animal from fire. He did the conscientious and right thing for the circumstances.

I hope he doesn't take the trashing from the wildlife groups peanut galleries to heart because they don't know what they're talking about.

I don't have a beef with most wildlife groups who are based in knowledge and reality but sometimes the armchair wildlife groups are clueless about reality. Any people trashing the rabbit rescuer and saying the rabbit could have dug a hole - well, they obviously weren't there and they don't know much about reality or rabbits or the condition of the terrain. They didn't ask themselves if it would be possible for a panicked rabbit flanked by racing fire on all sides to quickly dig a hole through a hard packed hot gravel shoulder at the side of a paved road (it can't) and they're too thoughtless and impractical to think about the reality of something like that.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:00 PM

15,880 posts, read 18,675,022 times
It is not that it could have dug a hole, it had a hole. They all have holes. They live in holes. Small mammals survive horrendous wildfires all the time.

I feel sorry for all its babies that were safe in the warren who will now die becaue their mother was taken away by someone that watched Bambi too many times and wanted a cool video to put on social media.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:58 PM

4,508 posts, read 2,279,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It is not that it could have dug a hole, it had a hole. They all have holes. They live in holes. Small mammals survive horrendous wildfires all the time.

I feel sorry for all its babies that were safe in the warren who will now die becaue their mother was taken away by someone that watched Bambi too many times and wanted a cool video to put on social media.
When you really stop to think about it, what's with the cameraman? I'm as big an animal lover as anyone could be, but this one seems a bit staged. Who stops to film someone chasing and catching a bunny just inches from fire on all sides? Nobody I know.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:22 PM

9,915 posts, read 11,591,861 times
Quote:

This is untrue. Rabbits do not breed at this time of the year. That's why this is the hunting season for rabbits. The season ends the last Sunday in January. The longer days will stimulate estrus.

Austen Henry Layardwww.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx#307

Old 12-09-2017, 01:59 AM

8,654 posts, read 7,411,353 times
Quote:

See, you just set an example of someone making an assumption. As mentioned above, they don't breed at this time of year so it didn't have any babies in a hole. If the fire was during breeding season and the rabbit had babies in a hole then why would the rabbit have been out of its warren running around in a panic during a fire anyway instead of being underground protecting it's babies?

Not trying to rag on you (because I like you and I like most of your posts) but where did you get the information that small mammals survive horrendous wildfires all the time? It's been my experience during wildfires that all animals of all sizes try desperately to escape from fires, including small tunnelers because many warrens don't go deep enough to protect them.

Are you a fire fighter who deals with wildfires in wilderness places and have direct experience with small mammals in those fires? If you're a wildfire fighter then you must know that intense fires can scorch the earth to a considerable depth and melt it or turn it to ashes, or that fires can burn underground and smoulder quite deep down (sometimes smouldering there for months or even years), or that oxygen gets sucked out of tunnels in the ground due to intense heat above ground and that asphyxiating smoke can get sucked down into holes in the ground. Going underground can be just as much of a death sentence as being above ground for any living thing in the paths of fires and floods.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or