U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 09:44 AM

27,091 posts, read 6,884,296 times

Advertisements

Too soon! But they do look ready and so healthy...napping right now. Do they ever "sit" or get in a different position besides standing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 12:49 PM

41,050 posts, read 15,836,752 times
Right now they are extremely active. One left the nest today and another keeps flapping his wings and jumping up to the opening of the box. I think he'll be going any time now. Very exciting to watch!

They often rest on one leg, but I've never seen them sit.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:55 PM

Will go to the site now to watch...

Old 12-20-2017, 12:58 PM

53,638 posts, read 3,870,430 times
They are fairly restless right now. What beautiful creatures.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:31 PM

Oh they are, one keeps spreading his wings...getting ready. Will keep this on rest of the afternoon...

Old 12-20-2017, 01:38 PM

Exciting stuff! Unfortunately, dusk will come all too soon and we won't be able to see any more. Here's a screen shot I took a bit ago.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:07 PM

The mother just paid a brief visit...her talon was visible, hanging onto the box, plus she poked her head in...she's ready for them to come out...might they do so later, since they are nocturnal...?

Old 12-20-2017, 02:26 PM

The second one left about 15 minutes ago, when I wasn't watching, of course! Two down; two to go. Two hatched a few days later than the others, so perhaps those chicks aren't quite ready to fly the coop yet, to so speak. Perhaps we'll get one more day of voyeurism. Unless they leave after dark. This has been a fun day to watch them. I remember watching the first one hatch.

ETA: I lied. Now that they've moved around again, it looks like there's a third one back in the corner.

ETA: Okay, I think the young'un was just back for a visit. He took off again. It was not the parent. Or maybe it was the parent. Heck, I can't tell now!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-20-2017 at 03:18 PM..

Old 12-20-2017, 03:42 PM

One has been flapping wings like crazy and standing in front of the door...one is in the corner and another appears to be up high in the box...guess that is the talon I saw.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:07 PM

8,654 posts, read 7,411,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Exciting stuff! Unfortunately, dusk will come all too soon and we won't be able to see any more. Here's a screen shot I took a bit ago.

Exciting stuff indeed. PJSinger, I want to say thanks to you for posting this thread. Unfortunately the link to the live cam doesn't work for me (because of my out-of-country location) but I've been following this thread and am pleased to see that screen shot you posted today. Sweet!

I'm really happy that these 4 owlets are thriving in this unheard of late season hatching, and even happier still that it is all 4 of them are still alive. At first I had expected that one or two of the two later hatchlings might be dead by now because it's not uncommon for stronger, first hatched raptor chicks to deliberately push the weaker, smaller late hatchers (competition for food) out of the nest to perish. Evidently there is lots of food for the parents to provide to all 4 owlets so these babies aren't any competition for each other and all 4 have developed a good companionable bond with each other. And kudos to the excellent devoted parents they have.

Barn owls are my favourites of all the owls. I love their heart shaped faces and their warm golden colouring and distinctive feather patterns. I appreciate that they are so curious and sociable and have learned how to adapt to humans and human built infrastructures. I especially appreciate that barn owls will make attempts to communicate with humans that they feel comfortable with.

I apologize that this is a long post and I'm not trying to upstage this thread but I want to tell you a story about my experience with a family of barn owls about 25 years ago.

I was manager at an "organic" commercial waterfowl and land fowl poultry farm where we raised the birds for their eggs to be incubated and hatched. All the waterfowl and land fowl had free range within the fenced outdoor acreage and ponds, etc. and free run throughout the whole barn where they came inside to sleep at night and laid their eggs in the mornings. There was a welcome family of barn owls that took up residence inside that same barn with the farm birds. The barn owls kept the barn free of mice, rats, weasels, possums, skunks, minks, snakes, feral cats, starlings, crows and any other varmints that were small enough to find some way into the barn to attempt to steal eggs, bird food or to prey on smaller farm birds. The owls protected the barn and the outside acreage from predators, never attacked any of the farm birds and we knew this to be true because we had full video surveillance of all of their activities on the premises. Our farm became the owls' farm.

Here is the special part about barn owls adapting and communicating with humans. Sometimes during the spring through to autumn months we would have evening bonfires outside on weekends, to roast hot dogs and marshmallows, or have a crab-boil or cook oysters, clams and mussels, drink a few brewskies and just generally make merry with our feet up around the fire. At such times the barn owls would often come to hover in place above the fire and play in the updrafts from the fire, and they would swoop down to face level then hover in place and click, click, click at us begging us for morsels of hot dog, crab or shellfish. We could throw them some morsels and those owls could flip over in the air to snag the food right out of the air with their talons or beaks without losing a beat. (They did NOT like marshmallows - too sticky I guess - and they knew the difference between marshmallows and pieces of meat thrown to them and would just let the marshmallows drop to the ground). Delightful and smart creatures they are!

I hope the owlets in this topic continue to thrive and do well into the upcoming winter months. Thanks again for posting this thread.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature