U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 11:28 PM

8,649 posts, read 7,407,133 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for the thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 12:14 AM

8,649 posts, read 7,407,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Very interesting, Zoisite. Thanks for all the info!

However, when the spring brood left the nest they never returned (at least not in the daytime when we could see!).

The spring brood may not have needed to return to the nest box after they left it the first time, depending on what the weather was like. If it wasn't too cold and inclement and they were warm enough they would have been more comfortable staying outside of the box where there was more room to spread and flap growing wings ..... and to get away from the smell. Owls don't have the greatest sense of smell but owl nests inside nest boxes and nest holes in trees develop a pretty horrific build up of ammonia inside those enclosed spaces and it stings the eyes and nostrils.

But now - this is winter. It's really cold in Indiana now, several degrees below freezing point and these babes are growing up in unusual circumstances and harsh environmental conditions, they still need shelter and warmth at nights at this time in spite of having to put up with the ammonia. Do they even have winter down and feathers? They apparently have devoted parents (albeit the parents are rather out of balance with nature and the seasons) but no matter how you look at it there is a lot worse obstacles and difficulties ahead going against this brood at this time of year, with worse to come in the next few winter months to come when food is much more scarce than it is during spring and summer. I hate to sound like a downer but I think it's not going to be easy for them to survive winter and I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for them. I hope that mama owl doesn't go broody in the autumn again next year.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:19 PM

17,182 posts, read 11,026,290 times
too dark to see now, although I can see there's still something in the nest.

any chance you can make this a sticky, at least until they've fledged?

Old 12-26-2017, 10:00 AM

41,049 posts, read 15,831,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
too dark to see now, although I can see there's still something in the nest.

any chance you can make this a sticky, at least until they've fledged?
Okay, I'll do that.

It's bitter cold in Indiana right now, at least here in the NW corner of the state. I'm not certain of the location of the nest box; it's somewhere in southern Indiana. We are barely above zero today. I hope it's not that cold at the south end of the state; I worry about the babies!

Right now, there are three owlets in the box and all look okay. They're huddled in the back, as usual, and are frequently preening and stretching their wings.

I wish there was a camera outside the nest so we could see the owls come and go. As Zoisite said earlier, there's likely a lot of activity going on outside that we can't see!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The spring brood may not have needed to return to the nest box after they left it the first time, depending on what the weather was like. If it wasn't too cold and inclement and they were warm enough they would have been more comfortable staying outside of the box where there was more room to spread and flap growing wings ..... and to get away from the smell. Owls don't have the greatest sense of smell but owl nests inside nest boxes and nest holes in trees develop a pretty horrific build up of ammonia inside those enclosed spaces and it stings the eyes and nostrils.

But now - this is winter. It's really cold in Indiana now, several degrees below freezing point and these babes are growing up in unusual circumstances and harsh environmental conditions, they still need shelter and warmth at nights at this time in spite of having to put up with the ammonia. Do they even have winter down and feathers? They apparently have devoted parents (albeit the parents are rather out of balance with nature and the seasons) but no matter how you look at it there is a lot worse obstacles and difficulties ahead going against this brood at this time of year, with worse to come in the next few winter months to come when food is much more scarce than it is during spring and summer. I hate to sound like a downer but I think it's not going to be easy for them to survive winter and I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for them. I hope that mama owl doesn't go broody in the autumn again next year.

I fear for them as well, Zoisite. Yes, they've got feathers and no more visible tufts of down. When they stretch their wings out it's obvious they have all their flight feathers (or whatever they're called). They matured very quickly, so that's one thing in their favor.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:53 PM

The owlet in front just finished preening and has settled down for a nap. The two in the back (which you can barely see in this photo) are still moving around as well. That's a good sign.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:00 PM

Thank you!

Old 12-27-2017, 08:03 AM

I'm relieved. The owlets have made it through the bitter cold night. They are napping at the moment, but look fine. I'm not certain what city they're near, but I checked the current temp in several southern IN cities, and it's around 10F. The babies must be generating enough heat in the box to protect them from the cold. It's supposed be even colder tonight, followed by about a 10-degree warm-up the next several days.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:44 AM

It says southern Indiana if that helps with a location.

I only see one, rather large. Have the others left or did they not make it?

I'm guessing it/they will stay in the nest a bit longer than spring broods/clutches whatever they're called. Because of the weather. We'll see.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:33 PM

27,091 posts, read 6,880,207 times
They have come and gone several times...more info, read back posts

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
It says southern Indiana if that helps with a location.

I only see one, rather large. Have the others left or did they not make it?

I'm guessing it/they will stay in the nest a bit longer than spring broods/clutches whatever they're called. Because of the weather. We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature