U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 01:48 PM

41,051 posts, read 15,836,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Could 2 adults fit in the box...?

Thanks PJ, for letting me know they're back again...
Yes, two adults can fit in the box. I saw both parents in there more than once before the eggs hatched.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:00 AM

The DNR rep told my co-worker that it's the juveniles who have been visiting the next box. Yesterday my co-worker saw three owls in the box at the same time. DNR rep said it's highly unusual for young owls to return to the box once they've left. This little family has been mixed up from the get-go! I'm delighted that they are still visiting, though, so I can peek in on them. They're such beautiful birds.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:40 AM

8,654 posts, read 7,411,353 times
Quote:

DNR rep said it's highly unusual for young owls to return to the box once they've left.

Wise little owls! I think they must understand that the shelter of the nest box and each other's company and warmth will help increase their chances of survival through this winter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 09:35 AM

Two of the owls are still coming and going from the box. They're both in there snoozing right now. Yesterday they were very active and so much fun to watch. Pretty soon, though, they're going to have to skedaddle, since mama owl will surely want to start a spring brood.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the update. That's such good news. Spring is around the corner and I'd think that since they've managed to survive through the worst part of winter their chances of thriving are improved with each passing day.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:55 PM

Here are the kids today.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Thanks for the update. That's such good news. Spring is around the corner and I'd think that since they've managed to survive through the worst part of winter their chances of thriving are improved with each passing day.

I agree. I think these two are good to go. (I'm assuming it's the same two that keep returning. There were four to start out with. I hope all of them survived.)

Old 03-14-2018, 02:13 PM

Mama owl is back, and it appears she's laid at least two eggs. I caught a glimpse of two eggs a bit ago when she stood up to stretch.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:20 PM

12,916 posts, read 5,940,548 times
Mamma's a very busy girl. I hope she successfully raises another nest full.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:40 AM

LOL. That owl is a real going concern, she doesn't waste any time. She's a mama on a mission. I guess the 2 youngsters won't be putting in any more appearances near that box from now on.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature