U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 05:33 PM

8,665 posts, read 7,418,792 times

Advertisements

A woman who was diving was approached by a humpback whale which then physically intervened with her to protect her from a lurking tiger shark. The whale moved and shoved her around and then pushed her up to the surface to her boat to get her away from the shark.

There's some video footage and a report of this incident at the link.

Incredible moment whale 'protects' diver from nearby shark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 06:44 PM

4,702 posts, read 2,534,844 times
That’s beautiful!

Old 01-08-2018, 06:47 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,231,916 times
Yes. Now if we could protect them---from us. We must work harder at this. Lovely news story Zoisite.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:00 PM

4,635 posts, read 4,019,990 times
Wow, that was amazingly beautiful, thanks for sharing that Zoisite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
A woman who was diving was approached by a humpback whale which then physically intervened with her to protect her from a lurking tiger shark. The whale moved and shoved her around and then pushed her up to the surface to her boat to get her away from the shark.

There's some video footage and a report of this incident at the link.

Incredible moment whale 'protects' diver from nearby shark

Old 01-08-2018, 08:44 PM

8,665 posts, read 7,418,792 times
Thanks. This is one of those kinds of stories that I hope will make headlines around the world. I think it would benefit whales and other cetaceans if more people everywhere can see them in light of them being highly intelligent beings capable of compassion and foresight.

I watched the video before I read through the whole report and was at first perturbed when I saw her touching it with her hand as seen through the camera she was wearing on her head. I was thinking "oh, that person shouldn't be touching and patting it with their hand like that" but then when I read the full report I realized she was touching it from necessity, she was pushing her hand against it to prevent it from thumping and pressing too hard against her so it wouldn't injure her.

I was particularly impressed that the whale waited and surfaced to look at the boat and its occupants to ensure that the woman had actually gotten into the boat safely.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:33 PM

902 posts, read 960,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Yes. Now if we could protect them---from us. We must work harder at this. Lovely news story Zoisite.
True, but we can't even protect ourselves from one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or