U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 07:36 PM

5,331 posts, read 2,914,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Could we each do our best to keep natural settings natural?

Just out on a pretty loop trail with a friend. First time walking with her. She had her smart phone with her. She likes an app called "Map My Walk. Every 10 minutes or so, a rather loud electronic voice rattles off distance covered, pace.

I found it disturbing to be in the woods to hear this. The voice disrupted our conversation. Anyone else nearby could hear it too.

I asked her if she could mute or turn off the app. After grumbling, she did turn off the sound. She could still record the distance and stuff at the end of the walk to enter into her data base.

She thought I was weird for finding the sounds annoying. She told me "it was just for a few seconds every 10 minutes or so." I found her weird for letting this electronic voice disturb the tranquility with its announcements.

This "rant" is not about who is right and who is wrong in this situation.

But for anyone who does hike or amble on trails far removed from civilization smells and sounds, please do think about others. Many of us go to nature to escape our electronic devices and listen to wind in the trees and birdsong.

Maybe we could all enjoy this peacefulness without electronic intrusion? That would be so pleasant.
Agreed! I also would prefer it if walking trails were for well, walking, not biking, for example, unless the trails tend not to be very busy and are wider so walkers and bikers can better co-exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 09:50 PM

2,030 posts, read 1,211,328 times
Yep, in agreement here. There is a Japanese saying or phrase: shinrin yoku. It means forest bathing or listening and immersing yourself in the natural world. If I really want solitude, I go to the valleys and mountains between highways 50 and 6 in Nevada. No one except an occasional stray cow or wild horse.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:01 AM

2,812 posts, read 1,148,043 times
I agree with the OP. That racket could also possibly run off any wildlife you may see. I know the critters can usually hear us coming a mile away, but the extra noise doesn't help. The app was ok to track her hike, but nix on the noise for multiple reasons. I usually just loosely time the entire hike with my watch. But some folks really love their toys.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:14 AM

2,812 posts, read 1,148,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Why are you admonishing us???? You're the one who brought this nuisance into the woods.
I never felt like the OP was admonishing me as I don't do those things on a hike. Why do you think the OP was talking about you? If the shoe doesn't fit..... Also she/he had no idea their new hiking partner would do that. According to the op they had never hiked together before this first, and possibly last time.

Thank you OP for bringing this to our general attention. Some people may not be aware of how their actions affect others.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:27 AM

5,945 posts, read 9,219,756 times
I find music invigorating while walking uphill. I use headphones, of course. For me it's better to be far up the trail with musical assist than dragging along at a lower elevation.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:39 AM

735 posts, read 489,016 times
I ride my horse on trails and I am always amazed by people and their iPhones. I hear people coming and step my horse off the trail so they can go by. People are so glued to their phones they do not even notice a horse- A HORSE!- standing in the woods.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:59 AM

121,062 posts, read 14,904,550 times
I took many walks with my father when little and the first thing he taught me while walking in the forest is to be quiet and listen to nature. Mother Nature will speak to us and we listen and learn.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:47 AM

7,176 posts, read 4,066,442 times
This is a subject dear to my heart. I live in a little piece of river valley and rolling prairie in Southern MN. We have so many people pushing for development of every nook and cranny either for housing or recreation.

I can't tell you how many of my "private" haunts have been plowed and paved over for bike trails and roadside stops, picnic areas, fishing holes with docks. The wildlife retreats to quieter spots or dies off. I'm not sure which. Both perhaps.

With every new development I see loss of wild flora and fauna and the ecology of the area reordered to man's direction.

It's a price we pay for being a prosperous state. The money is there and marked for recreation and parks. If it isn't used, it's gone. Too many of us don't realize that just because it's there doesn't mean we have to use it.

I do understand the convenience of the parking lots and the fishing docks, the safety and pleasure of the bike trails. But it seems that no stone is left unturned and what we are gaining in shiny new facilities we are losing in rustic charm and especially enjoyment and education of what is natural in our world. There are many healthy lessons to be learned in observing an undisturbed (as much as is possible these days) ecology.

A parking lot can be renovated as it ages. But can a wildlife prairie be restored once the crucial elements have scattered?

I think that last paragraph must have been inspired by Joni Mitchell.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:47 PM

5,524 posts, read 10,222,667 times
There are many healthy lessons to be learned in observing an undisturbed (as much as is possible these days) ecology.

Yes, give us these retreats from a world that "is too much with us."

This is from the poem by William Wordsworth (one of my favorite poems --maybe yours, too??):

The World Is Too Much With Us

By William Wordsworth

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;—
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon;
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not. Great God! I’d rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathèd horn.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:57 PM

121,062 posts, read 14,904,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
There are many healthy lessons to be learned in observing an undisturbed (as much as is possible these days) ecology.

Yes, give us these retreats from a world that "is too much with us."

This is from the poem by William Wordsworth (one of my favorite poems --maybe yours, too??):

The World Is Too Much With Us

By William Wordsworth

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;—
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon;
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not. Great God! I’d rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathèd horn.
Beautiful post LittleDolphin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature