U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 03:00 PM

4,456 posts, read 2,011,387 times

Advertisements

we went camping one holiday weekend. The campground was crowded, and nearly every campsite had music playing--all different songs. Our nearest neighbor told me he had turned his music up so we could enjoy it when he noticed we didn't have music. Nice guy on the wrong track. We never went back to that campground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 03:02 PM

53,645 posts, read 3,870,430 times
Little dolphin, ITA! Just this morning we went on a walk, & some loudmouth was blathering on to her walking companion about her upcoming reno, I went to hear the birds sing, not what kind of tiles she prefers. People, in general, talk far too loudly, everywhere, but it is especailly annoying in parks or other Nature settings. It is not just phones, it also the loud voices.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:06 PM

7,169 posts, read 4,060,987 times
Yes, Little Dolphin! Once-upon-a-time English major here. Aren't we lucky that some who have come before us had such fitting thoughts and wrote them down in such elegant words?

Alm speaks of her father and reminded me of mine. Dad was a cradle to grave Lutheran, participated in many ways in the church and community and also grew huge gardens in the country when farmers would let him use a part of their land.

It wasn't until he died that I began to realize that although he was Lutheran in name his additional spiritual practices and worship perhaps were very true to his long-forgotten pagan roots. And how could they not be? The natural world is one huge gift to be tended and appreciated.

I once leaned across the dinner table and whispered to him as he shared the bounty of his garden with us, "Dad, I think God must be in your garden."

He winked at me and answered, "I KNOW He is."

He often told me stories about how when he was gardening alone the animals would come near him to investigate. And once he was so happy that a mother fox had brought her kits to visit.

I am modestly educated in the world's great religions and often think there is not a lesson written within which does not play out for all patient observers in the natural world. It's a giant guide for good living practices.

No cellphones, please. They scare the bunnies.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:10 PM

7,169 posts, read 4,060,987 times
John Neihardt, one time Poet Laureate of Nebraska and author of Black Elk Speaks, used to do his writing in the Wayne, Nebraska cemetery. The locals thought he was a little loony.

I imagine it was one place he could find some peace and quiet. LOL.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:34 PM

5,523 posts, read 10,216,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
John Neihardt, one time Poet Laureate of Nebraska and author of Black Elk Speaks, used to do his writing in the Wayne, Nebraska cemetery. The locals thought he was a little loony.

I imagine it was one place he could find some peace and quiet. LOL.
Yes, must have been peaceful and maybe the spirits spoke to him.

Our local, old "burying ground" has giant old oaks and lovely azaleas a-blooming in the Spring. It is quite serene -- but never thought about writing there..just like to wander through and try to decipher some of the very old tombstones dating back to the 1700's...

Old 01-13-2018, 05:19 PM

11,826 posts, read 12,743,388 times
There's nothing like waking up in the morning (camping) and frying bacon and scrambling eggs outside on your grill, while you listen to the birds chirping, greeting the morning. I prefer the natural sounds of the forest and outdoors. I honestly don't want to hear a cell phone ringing out there. Silent mode is fine.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:34 AM

7,601 posts, read 13,412,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
There's nothing like waking up in the morning (camping) and frying bacon and scrambling eggs outside on your grill, while you listen to the birds chirping, greeting the morning. I prefer the natural sounds of the forest and outdoors. I honestly don't want to hear a cell phone ringing out there. Silent mode is fine.
Except alas, at many campgrounds you will hear loud music playing from people who I guess didn't really want to "escape" from what they do at home. (See post #21 of this thread!)

Decades ago I went to a silent retreat in Naragansett, Rhode Island. My favorite thing to do was sit and stare at the ocean, listening to ITS sounds, which were so peaceful and wonderful. These days, if I go to a "regular" beach, there are inevitably people there with boomboxes (or whatever today's version is called). I really wish those kinds of noises could be banned outside (why should EVERYONE AROUND YOU be subjected to YOUR music?!!), but I suspect that will never happen.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:55 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,296,938 times
It is sad that some folks in our modern world cannot do 'quiet'. I hear/see people on trails all the time yammering away on their phones, and/or glued to some 'social' app or another. I wonder what they get from the walk. Load music on trails is the worst. I'm getting that more and more often, along with the load talking that accompanies such behavior.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:35 PM

17,199 posts, read 22,933,790 times
Worst thing I see is the mountain bikers who insist on shouting back and forth to each other while racing through the woods. The woods are more than a playground.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:44 AM

5,523 posts, read 10,216,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Worst thing I see is the mountain bikers who insist on shouting back and forth to each other while racing through the woods. The woods are more than a playground.
Oh, you're so right. I try to seek out tails that are solely for walkers and maybe horses.

Out of control or hurtling mtn. bikers don't make for good trail companions. I like to ride my bike, but on the street. I imagine it's thrilling to mt. bike on trails, but it's not relaxing for the walkers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature