Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 02:31 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times

Advertisements

Could we each do our best to keep natural settings natural?

Just out on a pretty loop trail with a friend. First time walking with her. She had her smart phone with her. She likes an app called "Map My Walk. Every 10 minutes or so, a rather loud electronic voice rattles off distance covered, pace.

I found it disturbing to be in the woods to hear this. The voice disrupted our conversation. Anyone else nearby could hear it too.

I asked her if she could mute or turn off the app. After grumbling, she did turn off the sound. She could still record the distance and stuff at the end of the walk to enter into her data base.

She thought I was weird for finding the sounds annoying. She told me "it was just for a few seconds every 10 minutes or so." I found her weird for letting this electronic voice disturb the tranquility with its announcements.

This "rant" is not about who is right and who is wrong in this situation.

But for anyone who does hike or amble on trails far removed from civilization smells and sounds, please do think about others. Many of us go to nature to escape our electronic devices and listen to wind in the trees and birdsong.

Maybe we could all enjoy this peacefulness without electronic intrusion? That would be so pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 02:59 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Could we each do our best to keep natural settings natural?...
Why are you admonishing us???? You're the one who brought this nuisance into the woods.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Why are you admonishing us???? You're the one who brought this nuisance into the woods.
Admonishing you? Not at all. As I said, a gentle request. I did not know I'd be subjected to electronics with this friend. First time hiking with her, as I said.

Hoping no one else does the same thing. Maybe she's the only one? Have you heard anyone on their cell phone while in the woods? Or heard a voice coming from an app?

Found it unusual.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:15 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
...Have you heard anyone on their cell phone while in the woods?...
Cell phones don't work where we go, and we rarely encounter others.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:20 PM

126,270 posts, read 19,041,682 times
When I go hiking with my group we all carry our cellphones with us set on silence.We take them along in case of emergency.

I too like the tranquility while hiking and I am known to be non talkative while being outside on the trails.

Maybe she thought it was no big deal.I occasionally pass trail bikers or people who run on the trails with their app on telling them how much they walked.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
When I go hiking with my group we all carry our cellphones with us set on silence.We take them along in case of emergency.

I too like the tranquility while hiking and I am known to be non talkative while being outside on the trails.

Maybe she thought it was no big deal.I occasionally pass trail bikers or people who run on the trails with their app on telling them how much they walked.
'
Yep. Getting away from civilization seems more and more challenging. Cell phones for emergencies aren't problematic. An interruption every 10 minutes from a chattering app is. At least to me. I'll be walking solo or with my equally unplugged partner from now on.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:33 PM

30,517 posts, read 16,213,477 times
I've met some folks with those ear plugs in. Ok, not plugs, don't know what they're called but the people are listening to something. Fortunately they keep it to themselves.

and I agree. I go on walks to hear the birds and the bees. and the water and the breeze. (hey, that rhymes!)

I also don't like a lot of conversation when walking.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:40 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Could we each do our best to keep natural settings natural?

Just out on a pretty loop trail with a friend. First time walking with her. She had her smart phone with her. She likes an app called "Map My Walk. Every 10 minutes or so, a rather loud electronic voice rattles off distance covered, pace.

I found it disturbing to be in the woods to hear this. The voice disrupted our conversation. Anyone else nearby could hear it too.

I asked her if she could mute or turn off the app. After grumbling, she did turn off the sound. She could still record the distance and stuff at the end of the walk to enter into her data base.

She thought I was weird for finding the sounds annoying. She told me "it was just for a few seconds every 10 minutes or so." I found her weird for letting this electronic voice disturb the tranquility with its announcements.

This "rant" is not about who is right and who is wrong in this situation.

But for anyone who does hike or amble on trails far removed from civilization smells and sounds, please do think about others. Many of us go to nature to escape our electronic devices and listen to wind in the trees and birdsong.

Maybe we could all enjoy this peacefulness without electronic intrusion? That would be so pleasant.
I'm with you. I do have cell and satellite phones for emergency use, but I never have them on. I like to be away from electronic gadgets whenever possible.

The distance is irrelevant. She sounds like one of these people who time themselves as well. I don't go for exercise; I go to see.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:04 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
I do carry my cellphone but have it on vibrate.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:54 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I do carry my cellphone but have it on vibrate.
I leave it off in my vehicles as well. I do not get any calls that can't wait a few hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature