U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2018, 07:55 AM

4,324 posts, read 2,583,561 times

Advertisements

I found this interesting Article. It says that bears on the Kuril Islands are turning white/silver possibly due to inbreeding. Also it is unknown how the bears got to the islands in the first place, some speculate that they were introduced by the Japanese, or possibly they swam to the islands on their own either from Kamchatka or Japan, and yet another theory states they existed their since the Ice age when the Island were connected to the mainland. I don't know if this article warrants an entire new thread, but I didn't know where to share it. You can also talk about other mutations going around the world too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 04:44 AM

12,782 posts, read 32,906,891 times
Some years ago some one killed what they thought was a Polar bear....was Snow White but Built like a Brown Bear. DNA prove it was a Mix of the 2 breeds... Sorry to say Old News....BTW the Bear was in Alaska or Canada

Here is the one I was talking about [tho not a brown bear]

https://www.bing.com/search?q=grizzl...FORM=QBRE&sp=2

Old 01-30-2018, 06:41 PM

8,719 posts, read 7,452,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I found this interesting Article. It says that bears on the Kuril Islands are turning white/silver possibly due to inbreeding. ........

Thanks for sharing that article. I think those Kuril Islands bears pictured are really very attractive looking with those colours and patterns. You can see from their body build that they are descended from brown bear.

It reminds me somewhat of the white colour phase Kermode (Spirit Bears) of BC. Only instead of white and dark patterns they are mostly white with pale apricot coloured patterns. Kermodes are actually a genetic colour phase subspecies of black bears.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...f+bc&FORM=IGRE

And then there's the North American cinnamon bears, another colour phase subspecies of black bear: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_bear

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...3678BC931AD3AE

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-30-2018 at 07:26 PM..

Old 02-02-2018, 02:11 AM

yes I've heard of the spirit bears. Does anyone know why the white color is so prevalent, it's about 10-20% on some of the islands. And they are not albinos either. I guess it's some what similar to the black panthers, but at least the black color is good for camouflage.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:14 AM

also curious enough there is such a thing as a white panther too. Though I suppose it's not that alarming once I think about it since many animals have white variations, Leucism. However the Kuril brown bears are not exhibiting Leucism or albinism, so I do find it quite peculiar.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:25 AM

Here is another example of animals changing/evolving. https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0318132627.htm

Swallows in Nebraska are growing shorter wings spans due to birds with longer wingspans getting hit by cars since they are not as agile as birds with shorter wingspans.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:55 AM

13,015 posts, read 5,991,570 times
I suppose it's all part of natural selection. If light colored bears weren't successful, they wouldn't live long enough to reproduce and therefore the color phase would eventually disappear or become very rare.

I read that some rattlesnakes are losing their ability to rattle. The reason is that those that use their rattle more are the ones most often killed by people since those that stay quiet remain unseen and left alone. What was once an advantage to a snake has now become it's disadvantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or