U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 08:36 PM

8,717 posts, read 3,753,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy221 View Post
My mum got this bird feeder that closes when something heavy gets on it

That has been working quite well
After four years of trying to protect a bird feeder that was 12 feet off the ground, hanging over a window on a sheer wall of the house, a feeder like this was the only thing that stopped the clever little bahrstads. I am clever; I am handy; I was motivated (not the least of which was having to replace feeders that broke under the weight of three squirrels); I tried everything up to automated sentry guns.

But the sliding-shell feeder solved the problem. They came, they tried, they wailed, they left. The cardinals and finches actually bowed to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 09:14 PM

8,092 posts, read 6,377,286 times
Look up "squirrel aggravator". I'll have to post mine which is a board that has a screw to hold a corncob that pivots on a horizontal axis with the end opposite the screw wider so that with a squirrel on it it is well balanced but when unoccupied is upright. Squirrel gets on, board rotates, squirrel goes for a ferris wheel ride.
"Hilarity ensues"

Old 02-15-2018, 04:40 AM

1,160 posts, read 574,431 times
We were successful in thwarting the squirrels by threading two empty 59 oz plastic orange juice containers above one feeder (this feeder is hanging from a tree) and threading two (of the same) on both sides of the second feeder that hangs on a clothes line.

Since we've done this, the squirrels have not been able to make it to the feeders. They cannot get a grip on the plastic bottles, so they jump to the ground and feed only on what has fallen.

We are surprised by how well it has worked, for about a year now.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:38 AM

15,978 posts, read 12,772,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
We were successful in thwarting the squirrels by threading two empty 59 oz plastic orange juice containers above one feeder (this feeder is hanging from a tree) and threading two (of the same) on both sides of the second feeder that hangs on a clothes line.

Since we've done this, the squirrels have not been able to make it to the feeders. They cannot get a grip on the plastic bottles, so they jump to the ground and feed only on what has fallen.

We are surprised by how well it has worked, for about a year now.
Years ago we maintained two 'squirrel proof' feeders outside of our windows. Of course the engineers that made those feeder never saw a squirrel in their whole life! They were expensive; I think $85/each. They were supposed to work because squirrels are heavier than birds. Of course they overlooked the fact that squirrels could get to the seed without touching the trip bars or by simply pulling off the springs and then reaching through the cracks.

Regardless of the squirrel 'problems' with the feeders; we had black oily sunflower seed that disappeared every night. My wife thought that it was nocturnal squirrels or squirrels with insomnia - I thought there were other forces at work. We had a cheap proximity sensor set up on our front door that I moved to 'keep an eye' on our feeders. So, when it buzzed, we went to the window with our flashlights. Sure enough; we found out we had a raccoon problem in the middle of the night. At one time we counted 11 different raccoons that were coming to our feeders. We had huge males and mothers with their kits. We have many pictures we shot out our windows only five feet from the raccoons.

We also found out they were not the only visitors. Opossums, skunks, fox and deer came to the feeders. Some simply hung around for the seed that hit the ground; like the skunks, fox and deer. But, finally, all good things come to an end when a party pooper shows up; the bear. $170 worth of feeders were scraped in a matter of minutes. We said; enough is enough and no more feeders!

Old 02-15-2018, 05:42 AM

3,042 posts, read 2,620,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy221 View Post
My mum got this bird feeder that closes when something heavy gets on it

That has been working quite well
I actually did get my dad a couple of these last yr and they are working well.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:43 AM

3,042 posts, read 2,620,588 times
They are tenacious little buggers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EnDwkclDcA

Old 02-15-2018, 06:23 AM

3,258 posts, read 4,395,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Funny!

Wonder if the squirrel will eventually learn to push the Slinky up!
Yes! Squirrel Scientists have apparently already cracked that mystery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=622ktIhwWGQ

Old 02-15-2018, 08:26 AM

5,650 posts, read 5,222,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
They are tenacious little buggers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EnDwkclDcA
That's cute. I really enjoy the antics of squirrels and will gladly absorb the cost of the extra seed so that both birds and squirrels can have something to eat.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:44 AM

8,695 posts, read 4,945,827 times
I'd be afraid they'd figure out how to burrow inside it to climb the pole and would get hopeless stuck in there and starve... Anyone else feel sorry for the squirrels? They have to eat, too...

Old 02-15-2018, 09:02 AM

1,160 posts, read 574,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'd be afraid they'd figure out how to burrow inside it to climb the pole and would get hopeless stuck in there and starve... Anyone else feel sorry for the squirrels? They have to eat, too...
Yes, I agree, otterhere.

Squirrels have to eat also, which is why I'm happy to have them feeding on the spillage. But if left unchecked, they will completely empty a feeder before the birds can even get to it.

Over the years, we have bought "squirrel proof" feeders. Finally got smart and now we try to find free solutions that make everybody (squirrels included) happy. My suggestion up thread about empty plastic OJ containers is one of these solutions that so far has been successful. I'd rather spend my $ on the actual seeds.

Plus, when you think about it, the squirrels don't entertain us for free..... :-) So, letting them eat a bit only seems fair.

And, writerwife, they sure are tenacious little buggers... but it's cold out there!! And they've had lots of opportunity to evolve and get better and better at what they do, every generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature