Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 03:19 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,763,936 times

Advertisements

I had a bird nest in my carport. I made sure I left it alone and made sure people walked away from it.

This morning I noticed the nest was on the ground in many pieces. It broke my heart. I kind of live in the woods so perhaps an animal knocked it down. Whenever I had to walk by it, I'd sneak a look and could see the mom and babies in the nest. It's like the mom felt safe around me and wouldn't fly away when I walked by anymore.

Now the mother won't come back. I can look inside and see about 3 birds that look like they were born maybe yesterday. They are pink with no feathers. They open their beaks but no food.

Is there anything I can do to keep them alive or are they destined to die? I feel so bad for them and the little mother.

Should I go out and dig for worms? Would they eat them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 03:27 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
Take them inside into a warm place. Wrap a towel loosely around the group of them. Some birds eat reguritated seeds, others eat worms and the like. Do you know what bird species they are?

Call local rescue groups. Baby birds must eat often, so they won't last very long with no food. I have raised baby parrots, in which you bend the two sides of a spoon upwards. A syringe might work too. You have to 'shoot' the food deep enough to whereas they swallow. Make sure it is warmed too. As warm as a baby bottle fluid for a human child would be. You don't want them to eat cold food because they are so tiny, cold food could make them too cold.

Please get them inside and warmed up. I wanted to respond right away so you can do that. Hopefully, others with more experience than me can chime in soon, and help you further.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:00 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Take them inside into a warm place. Wrap a towel loosely around the group of them. Some birds eat reguritated seeds, others eat worms and the like. Do you know what bird species they are?

Call local rescue groups. Baby birds must eat often, so they won't last very long with no food. I have raised baby parrots, in which you bend the two sides of a spoon upwards. A syringe might work too. You have to 'shoot' the food deep enough to whereas they swallow. Make sure it is warmed too. As warm as a baby bottle fluid for a human child would be. You don't want them to eat cold food because they are so tiny, cold food could make them too cold.

Please get them inside and warmed up. I wanted to respond right away so you can do that. Hopefully, others with more experience than me can chime in soon, and help you further.

Yes call wildlife rescue asap....good luck.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:32 PM

Thanks guys. The mom looked like a wren. Im pretty sure that's what it was.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:16 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
You can go to the pet store and buy mealworms. They also have dried mealworms if you want to go that route.
Make a wet paste with them and use a syringe to feed them until you can get them to a wildlife shelter.
If you can get live mealworms, they may take them whole from your hands, just make sure they go down their gullet
completely.
If you have sunflower seeds, make sure to rinse all the salt off, and make a wet paste of them. They will eat that too. A loose, wet peanut butter paste would also work, or a mixture of both/all three.
Thank you for being a kind soul and trying to help these poor little creatures.

PS: Wrens eat both insects and seeds.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Dry baby cereal mixed with water, loose, in a medicine dropper. Also, some mashed soft fruit like strawberries.We did this many times when I was a kid and we had them fall out of nests. Raised them until they could fly away. Meanwhile look for a rescue center. We didn’t have those back then, but there were 9 of us so we could take turns feeding. They need to eat every 2-3 hours.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:19 AM

Thanks everyone. Even though yesterday I had picked the part of the nest that had the birds/eggs off the carport floor and placed it where it was originally, their mom is back this morning. Yay. Happy Mothers Day to the mom and her babies.

I figured when I picked it up, there was no way the mom was going to touch that nest anymore but at the moment it was instinct and I knew they'd never live on the carport ground but I'm excited the little babies are being taken care of and the mom didn't leave.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:09 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Great news, dd...

I too thought she'd not return once the nest was disturbed.

Keep us updated on the eggs and babies

Old 05-12-2018, 07:30 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
Wonderful! I went thru a very similar thing recently. Thought mom disappeared so did some research and then mom returned.
(by the way.. most of what I read said to take canned cat food or dog food, thin it a bit and feed with a dropper and don't give them water at all)

Old 05-12-2018, 08:18 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Thanks everyone. Even though yesterday I had picked the part of the nest that had the birds/eggs off the carport floor and placed it where it was originally, their mom is back this morning. Yay. Happy Mothers Day to the mom and her babies.

I figured when I picked it up, there was no way the mom was going to touch that nest anymore but at the moment it was instinct and I knew they'd never live on the carport ground but I'm excited the little babies are being taken care of and the mom didn't leave.
awesome!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature