U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 01:34 AM

8,654 posts, read 7,411,353 times

Advertisements

A video taken recently of a herd of deer being careful, law abiding Canadian citizens on our streets.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/anim...cid=spartanntp

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 06:48 AM

12,146 posts, read 5,741,803 times
Hey that last one didn't look both ways or stop. He needs to be reprimanded. :-)

Old 02-27-2018, 08:33 AM

2,279 posts, read 833,892 times
They appear to have more sense than the ones here in Maryland. I probably see more dead deer along the road than I do dead squirrels.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:57 AM

15,894 posts, read 12,695,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
A video taken recently of a herd of deer being careful, law abiding Canadian citizens on our streets.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/anim...cid=spartanntp

They run the roads like that when the snow is too deep like in that video. It is so much easier for them to walk or run where we plow. They will also use our roads if there is a hard crust on the snow that cuts their legs or there is a heavy ice coating on the ground that is too slippery for them to walk.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:29 PM

12,769 posts, read 32,853,952 times
One Way Street

Old 02-27-2018, 06:36 PM

13,617 posts, read 5,592,653 times
I saw a street dog in San Antonio stand and wait for the pedestrian crosswalk sign to light up. Astounding. He was standing there with the human pedestrians, and when the walk light came on, he started across the street.

Amazing.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:36 PM

12,226 posts, read 3,726,888 times
I suspect those deer have crossed enough streets to figure out the smart thing to do. Too bad more deer don't do that.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:31 PM

13,940 posts, read 8,347,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
They appear to have more sense than the ones here in Maryland. I probably see more dead deer along the road than I do dead squirrels.
Deer in Maryland are whitetails, and they're stupid. They've got the brains of bunnies in the bodies of deer, I'm convinced. They panic and bounce around everywhere, right into your car even.

We have mule deer here in Colorado, and I have witnessed urban deer in Colorado Springs stop at crosswalks, stroll calmly down sidewalks, and get calmly out of the way of cars without wigging out and acting all dumb.

Although...I did get a shock a couple of days ago during my morning commute through rush hour traffic on a very busy road, like a six lane road with traffic moving at 45 mph... Everyone had to stop because some deer were running across the road. This is a really developed area, so while seeing deer in this town doesn't surprise me, seeing them on that stretch of north Academy Blvd does. Usually they are smarter than that, at least from what I've seen.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:48 AM

15,894 posts, read 12,695,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Deer in Maryland are whitetails, and they're stupid. They've got the brains of bunnies in the bodies of deer, I'm convinced. They panic and bounce around everywhere, right into your car even.

We have mule deer here in Colorado, and I have witnessed urban deer in Colorado Springs stop at crosswalks, stroll calmly down sidewalks, and get calmly out of the way of cars without wigging out and acting all dumb.

Although...I did get a shock a couple of days ago during my morning commute through rush hour traffic on a very busy road, like a six lane road with traffic moving at 45 mph... Everyone had to stop because some deer were running across the road. This is a really developed area, so while seeing deer in this town doesn't surprise me, seeing them on that stretch of north Academy Blvd does. Usually they are smarter than that, at least from what I've seen.
You are leaving out one important part of the equation: predators! When our Eastern whitetails are left alone they will walk across our roads. When a coyote is around; they run for their lives wherever they have to run. All they have to do is smell one of them and they start running; that is their survival mechanism for a predator that savagely hunts them. I think it might be possible that the coyotes even use the roads as a means to kill their prey - but that is just a hunch.

The deer will also run from human hunters; but humans are only allowed to hunt them for a few months every year compared to coyotes that hunt 24/7. During the mating season they also do not think as clearly. That also goes for the mule deer. I do not think the mule deer worry as much about the smaller Western coyotes; but I would presume that a wolf would quickly panic the herd!

Old 04-26-2018, 08:52 AM

13,049 posts, read 16,091,162 times
Yep, they definitely checked both ways before going on.
Reminds me of a farmer out here who used to have his field divided by a fence with a gate.
When he took the fence down, he left the gate (one gate in the middle of a field) ....the cows still used the gate to get to the "other side".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature