U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 10:46 AM

385 posts, read 244,210 times

Advertisements

I live in a highly wooded area and am now noticing lots of woodpeckers in my backyard. Is it true that they only peck at dead trees? If not, will they kill my trees and what exactly are they doing ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 10:53 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,821,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little pink View Post
I live in a highly wooded area and am now noticing lots of woodpeckers in my backyard. Is it true that they only peck at dead trees? If not, will they kill my trees and what exactly are they doing ?
Woodpeckers don’t only peck on dead trees - but most species are pecking on trees that have an under-the-bark insect infestation. It’s the bugs they are after. The woodpeckers won’t kill your trees, but the bugs certainly can.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:53 AM

27,091 posts, read 6,921,603 times
Quote:

They are fun to watch, as many times they will go around and around the tree for those bugs...and those beautiful colors of the feathers...

OP, do you know what the names are for your woodpeckers?

Old 03-02-2018, 01:14 PM

9,689 posts, read 4,314,527 times
Quote:
They can be testing trees for dead or punky wood that is a sign of a bug infestation. Also for a soft spot to dig out a nest cavity. Spring is on the way! There can be rotted areas on live trees too such as where large limbs have broken off, places where one tree hit another, rot at the base of the tree or from a broken crown. That's an area of weakness. If you walk your woods you'll probably find standing dead or dying trees that have attracted them. Then they "test" other trees around the same area. Another sign of a compromised or diseased tree is conks or "brackets" (fungal fruiting bodies) on the bark.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:15 PM

34,873 posts, read 44,407,940 times
If you have wood siding or trim they will also peck at that. Also during breeding season on metal gutters or poles.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:29 PM

9,689 posts, read 4,314,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If you have wood siding or trim they will also peck at that. Also during breeding season on metal gutters or poles.
HATE it when they do this!! What a racket! Makes it worse that they know it full well.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:39 PM

2,764 posts, read 1,498,982 times
Quote:
We have woodpeckers pounding on our gutters. Drives our cats nuts!

Old 03-02-2018, 04:01 PM

34,873 posts, read 44,407,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
We have woodpeckers pounding on our gutters. Drives our cats nuts!
One, or rather several, over the course of a couple decades used to hammer the gutter outside my youngest daughter's room. Drove her crazy (and for her it wasn't a very long drive).

She came back from her first year in college and we hadn't heard it all Spring. First morning she's back and it's waking her up at 6AM.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:24 PM

12,304 posts, read 11,351,902 times
Quote:
OMG! That's what they do to our roof...same time every year. Such a racket! They don't stop no matter how much you bang on the ceiling.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:25 PM

12,304 posts, read 11,351,902 times
Quote:
Hang up some woodpecker suet feeders. This helps keep the locals off our house with wood siding most of the year. Mating season though they lose their minds and peck our roof.....not sure why they think the green asphalt shingles are their new honey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature