U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 07:23 AM

2,083 posts, read 811,271 times

Advertisements

Certainly an amazing setting.

I'm curious about the couple of rectangular smallish pieces of wood floating.

The second picture down. Why was a deep piece of the shoreline sliced out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 08:15 AM

2,217 posts, read 1,327,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Certainly an amazing setting.

I'm curious about the couple of rectangular smallish pieces of wood floating.

The second picture down. Why was a deep piece of the shoreline sliced out?
According to OP, it was a mining hole at one time.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:09 AM

2,083 posts, read 811,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
According to OP, it was a mining hole at one time.
Thanks.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:12 AM

8,735 posts, read 7,463,755 times
That's a gorgeous piece of property in a spectacular setting. Absolutely beautiful. Considering the heavily forested setting I believe you can scratch agricultural run off from your list of suspects.

If it's a deep old mining hole I suspect the most likely culprit is some kind of chemical interaction between the minerals in that light grey clay, sand and rocks combined with dropped foliage from all those acidic trees is the probable cause of that colour.

But I'd also ask about septic field - is there a septic leach field near the pond? Is there any chance at all that the pond itself has been or is being used as a septic lagoon? I ask because many of the septic lagoons I've seen are the same colour as that pond water.

Also, I'd ask is there any chance that the pond has been chemically treated for mosquitoes? A pond like that, if the water is "alive", it will be a prime breeding place as a mosquito hatchery considering the forest location.

Sorry, but I still have strong doubts about there being healthy fish living naturally in that water.

OP, what is the source of household water? Is there a well drilled on the property or is the pond water used for household utility purposes? If the household is not dependent on the pond for all water usage I'd bid on that property myself regardless of the water quality of the pond.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:51 AM

858 posts, read 615,123 times
Water for the house is Domestic Water: Public District

Today is the day folks, I'm putting in the bid today, because another bid is already in. This CA real estate market is crazy.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:16 PM

9,713 posts, read 4,332,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Water for the house is Domestic Water: Public District

Today is the day folks, I'm putting in the bid today, because another bid is already in. This CA real estate market is crazy.
Any info on what they mined there? Could be traces of copper, who knows what else in water from an old mining adit. However, not too toxic if there are live fish in it. I'd include a water test contingency in your bid. You don't want liability for lingering water contamination due to the property's past mining activity.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That's a gorgeous piece of property in a spectacular setting. Absolutely beautiful. Considering the heavily forested setting I believe you can scratch agricultural run off from your list of suspects.

If it's a deep old mining hole I suspect the most likely culprit is some kind of chemical interaction between the minerals in that light grey clay, sand and rocks combined with dropped foliage from all those acidic trees is the probable cause of that colour.

But I'd also ask about septic field - is there a septic leach field near the pond? Is there any chance at all that the pond itself has been or is being used as a septic lagoon? I ask because many of the septic lagoons I've seen are the same colour as that pond water.

Also, I'd ask is there any chance that the pond has been chemically treated for mosquitoes? A pond like that, if the water is "alive", it will be a prime breeding place as a mosquito hatchery considering the forest location.

Sorry, but I still have strong doubts about there being healthy fish living naturally in that water.

OP, what is the source of household water? Is there a well drilled on the property or is the pond water used for household utility purposes? If the household is not dependent on the pond for all water usage I'd bid on that property myself regardless of the water quality of the pond.

I received the following report from my agent:

"I went to the property and here is MY OPINION of the property..
I feel that the photos represent the property well. The Mobile home is old however appears to be well kept in my opinion. The property around the pond has a light colored opaque clay, I believe this to be the reason the color of the water appears as it does. I threw a piece of opaque white plastic and could clearly see it sink through the water until is was so deep it was no longer visible, the area of the water that I walked that was most accessible appears to immediately drop in depth from the edge. The water appears to be very clear to me. I am attaching some photos. In one of them it appears there is a type of algae on the bankside under the water but only grasses on the surface."

I still sent your list of questions to my broker, and will include a contingency to test the water. The septic lagoon question may be a bit repulsive, and the contingency will make my offer weaker, but I think it is important because the lake is what I am going after in this deal; I don't want to take a chance on that.

I suppose lighting condition can have some effect on the color also.

Still more photos for your evaluation:

Is it natural for a mountain lake to be this emerald in color?-10.jpg

Is it natural for a mountain lake to be this emerald in color?-11.jpg

Is it natural for a mountain lake to be this emerald in color?-12.jpg

Is it natural for a mountain lake to be this emerald in color?-13.jpg

Old 03-18-2018, 07:48 PM

rhbj03, in pictures 1 and 3 of these last pictures you posted, I'm looking at the steep rock bank on the far side of the pond. If you look you'll see the dirt and especially the big rocks show a lot of reddish rusty brown, some chalky white, and some streaks of green staining. I suspect those rocks might be copper and iron ore. If there are traces of copper in the rocks it will cause the green colour stain in the water, especially if the pond is a water filled rocky hole in the ground from an old played out copper mine. It might be worth your while to do some research to see if there ever was or still are any malachite or copper mines in that region, or specifically on that property if the information can be found.

The picture below is a sample of copper and iron ore for your color comparison to the rocks/dirt in your photos. In the specimen below the green spots are the copper, the rusty red is oxidized iron, the pale chalky colour is calcium or lime chalk and the sparkly silver and gold bits are pyrite.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
rhbj03, in pictures 1 and 3 of these last pictures you posted, I'm looking at the steep rock bank on the far side of the pond. If you look you'll see the dirt and especially the big rocks show a lot of reddish rusty brown, some chalky white, and some streaks of green staining. I suspect those rocks might be copper and iron ore. If there are traces of copper in the rocks it will cause the green colour stain in the water, especially if the pond is a water filled rocky hole in the ground from an old played out copper mine. It might be worth your while to do some research to see if there ever was or still are any malachite or copper mines in that region, or specifically on that property if the information can be found.

The picture below is a sample of copper and iron ore for your color comparison to the rocks/dirt in your photos. In the specimen below the green spots are the copper, the rusty red is oxidized iron, the pale chalky colour is calcium or lime chalk and the sparkly silver and gold bits are pyrite.

Thanks for the very detailed technical information. Can I ask, if indeed the water condition is due to the residual copper ore, does this make the property undesirable? (like if it is toxic or something)

Old 03-19-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Thanks for the very detailed technical information. Can I ask, if indeed the water condition is due to the residual copper ore, does this make the property undesirable? (like if it is toxic or something)

I'm really not qualified to answer that question as it's not my area of expertise (I'm more of a plants and animals person, not a heavy metal person) but I personally don't think low levels of copper in the water would make the property undesirable. However, if the only reason you wanted the property is because it has that pond on it - well, if it was me I wouldn't want it for the pond because of the opacity and colour of the water, unless I knew for a fact that it is safe for gardens, perfectly safe to swim or bathe in and to drink after filtering.

If those pictures were taken this winter within the past couple of weeks then I think it looks like the natural habitat is in pretty healthy condition, albeit the property's landscape appears to have been somewhat neglected by the current owners.

There appears to be only a few dead evergreen trees that will need to be removed for safety and esthetic reasons but the living evergreen trees look healthy and sturdy and I see no evident signs of bark beetle damage. When new spring and summer foliage comes out on the deciduous trees you'll have a better idea of their condition too. If the pictures are very recent within the past couple of weeks, it looks like there are a couple of cherry trees there that are starting to bloom. On the other hand if those pictures were taken late spring or summer last year when all the deciduous trees and shrubs should have been in full foliage (which they are not, in the pictures) then there are a higher number of dead trees and plants on the property and that would be a big red flag for me and I'd want to know why they were dead.

I think the only way to get definite answers is to have the water tested, and if it was me bidding on it I'd want to get the soil tested too. But if in fact there are healthy fish and other flora and fauna living naturally in and nearby that water then it's probably a good bet that it's safe.

Here are a couple of websites that may be informative for you about sources of copper toxicity and reasons for why the water and possibly the soil should be tested:

https://www.epa.gov/wqc/aquatic-life-criteria-copper

Copper Poisoning Sources - ToxicWaterSolution.com

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or