Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 05:13 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
OK good. I was afraid it's some toxic stuff. Any way to treat a lake half an acre big? Or can only leave it to mother nature?
Algae. There are toxic types of algae. Blue Green Algae is toxic to humans and animals. Yes, it can kill a dog from drinking it. I'd stay far away from that water unless you know for a fact it's been tested and what the cause is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 05:16 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,582 times
I was a part owner of a ranch that had a 10 acre lake on it and we ended up putting in recirculating pumps to make a fountain in the middle of it to keep the water oxygenated to keep the algae down as it was killing off the fish.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:19 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We had a pond in our front yard when I was a kid. We used Copper Sulfate to kill off algae blooms. I think it was copper sulfate, it was copper somethingate. It was blue crystals similar or rack salt for a water softener. WE put it into a burlap bag and drug it around in our canoe, and then just left the bag in the water. It seems to work great.

Maybe no legal to use anymore. It sure worked like a charm.
Not good for a pond, and any living things in it. highly toxic!

Old 03-14-2018, 07:53 PM

857 posts, read 958,309 times
Selling agent said the owner family has fished the lake for decades.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Selling agent said the owner family has fished the lake for decades.
Doesn't mean anything. They may have done catch & release. The algae may not have been there. And it doesn't mean they didn't get sick. Read up on Blue Green Algae. Nasty stuff! Many people didn't know about it a decade ago. It's in the news a great deal today.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:29 AM

857 posts, read 958,309 times
I will be asking broker questions about the lake.

For now I would like to explore the worst case scenario: Suppose that green color is indeed from the algae and the toxic type. Is this treatable with some reasonable effort? Or will I be stuck with a Superfund site?

I really like the location and geographical situation with this body of water. I would like to bid for it if this problem is not prohibitive.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:10 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:

For now I would like to explore the worst case scenario: Suppose that green color is indeed from the algae and the toxic type. Is this treatable with some reasonable effort? Or will I be stuck with a Superfund site?

I really like the location and geographical situation with this body of water. I would like to bid for it if this problem is not prohibitive.
What elevation is the lake? What feeds it? How deep? What type of fish are they catching? Trout? Trout require clean, cold water with a lot of oxygen. None of that lines up with algae.

I'd be a lot more worried about algae on a pond dug into a pasture than a mountain lake.

Without having seen the landscape, I think you're worrying about nothing. Is there a battery plant or fertilizer company upstream of the pond? Or is it just the color?

https://www.outtherecolorado.com/wha...lakes-so-blue/

Old 03-15-2018, 12:16 PM

419 posts, read 901,913 times
In the grand canyon there lakes and rivers that color green due to the minerals and the water is fine. Algae bloom green usually looks different to me than that, that green looks like some mineral based green.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:46 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregir View Post
In the grand canyon there lakes and rivers that color green due to the minerals and the water is fine. Algae bloom green usually looks different to me than that, that green looks like some mineral based green.
Yeah, in a mountain I don't think I'd be that worried about it.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:35 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
Quote:

EPA used to be an entity one didn't want taking over a body of water, especially a small one without much funds. But I understand they're not such monsters these days. Any ideas? At any rate I know some DEQ agents that have, for years, not been on "witch hunts", as they say, as they used to be in years past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature