Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 12:53 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times

Advertisements

A pair of barn owls recently started a second brood (in 2017) of chicks in southern Indiana. This is unheard of! They normally lay eggs in April, which hatch in May. The pair did the usual thing in the spring, and then in October mama barn owl laid 6 new eggs. No one expected them to hatch, and when 4 of them did, no one expected the chicks to survive. But they are thriving. It's so fun to watch them growing up. I saw two of them hatch. Two hatched a little later than the others, so there are two large babies who have quite a few feathers already and two smaller babies who are still fuzzballs. But all are doing well.

Here's a link so you all can play voyeur along with me. DNR: Barn Owl Nest Webcam

Enjoy!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-26-2017 at 10:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 03:28 PM

37 posts, read 51,255 times
Thanks for posting this! Just now tuned in for the first time, but there's not enough daylight now. I will definitely be following them. What has happened is simply amazing!

Old 12-13-2017, 03:32 PM

Yes! The babies are doing fine. All four are quite big now, and getting more feathers each day. I'm still amazed that this late-season brood survived. Beautiful!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:55 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Thanks for link, PJ

Old 12-13-2017, 08:46 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
How cool! Thanks for the link!

Old 12-14-2017, 08:06 AM

You're welcome! At this moment, it's still rather dark in the nest box, but in an hour or so the babies will be much more visible. Late morning to mid-afternoon is the best time to view them, as the light is better then. Breakfast today was the usual - mice!

I hope you all get a good look at the owlets soon. They grow so fast. It won't be long before they're fledged and take off for the wild blue yonder.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:19 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
This is wonderful!! Thank you for posting.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:25 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Fantastic!!

Old 12-18-2017, 12:33 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Beautiful babies PJ. Thanks.
When I was a young boy, one late winter/early spring, I watched a nest of baby owls in the forest we lived in.
What an education. One I wouldn't change for anything.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:28 AM

The owlets have grown so quickly! Two of them appear ready to leave the nest any day now. I will be sad to see them go, but glad that they are thriving.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature