U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2018, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
16,760 posts, read 42,403,049 times
Reputation: 9297

Advertisements

Quote:
It's almost a law of physics that one day Mother Nature will destroy Earth.
https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science...ary-ncna851226

Michio Kaku foretells humanity's extraordinary future - The popular physicist weighs in on climate change, Mars colonies, immortality, and more. Michio Kaku foresees a world where humans colonize Mars and fuse with robots.

Kaku... grew up to be not only a physicist but a famous one, known as a co-founder of string field theory as well as a popular science communicator. And he's written a dozen books on science-themed topics, including the newly published "The Future of Humanity: Terraforming Mars, Interstellar Travel, Immortality, and Our Destiny Beyond Earth."

Quote:
MICHIO KAKU: We like to think of Mother Nature as being nurturing and friendly, but 99.9 percent of all life forms on Earth eventually go extinct. Extinction is the norm. It's almost a law of physics that one day Mother Nature will destroy Earth.


I guess I knew that, but it was an eyeopener to see it in the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2018, 02:50 PM
 
Location: on the wind
9,689 posts, read 4,314,527 times
Reputation: 32679
When you think this through for a while it makes sense. We tend to forget just how long ol' planet Earth has been around, and how many life forms had the time to form, evolve, dwindle, and disappear in that time. Nothing is static; everything is constantly adapting to conditions. Some can't evolve fast enough. Some can't compete successfully enough. Sometimes large scale disasters happen that end up re-setting the clock for everything in a specific place. The one I have the most trouble witnessing is humanity-a truly world-wide large scale disaster. Humans don't even need to live in a place to destroy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Boonies of N. Alabama
3,033 posts, read 2,614,435 times
Reputation: 5572
I'd venture to say that eventually 100% of life on earth will be extinct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
16,760 posts, read 42,403,049 times
Reputation: 9297
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
When you think this through for a while it makes sense. We tend to forget just how long ol' planet Earth has been around, and how many life forms had the time to form, evolve, dwindle, and disappear in that time. Nothing is static; everything is constantly adapting to conditions. Some can't evolve fast enough. Some can't compete successfully enough. Sometimes large scale disasters happen that end up re-setting the clock for everything in a specific place. The one I have the most trouble witnessing is humanity-a truly world-wide large scale disaster. Humans don't even need to live in a place to destroy it.
He is a scientist, but I'm still skeptical of that 99.9% figure he uses. But I am sure its probably pretty high. Some of the earlier forms of humans... neanderthal, have gone extinct. But we do still carry a little of their DNA in our bodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
16,760 posts, read 42,403,049 times
Reputation: 9297
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I'd venture to say that eventually 100% of life on earth will be extinct.
I'm a lot more optimistic than that, but have not really tried to put a number on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Out in the Badlands
10,422 posts, read 9,118,991 times
Reputation: 7765
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I'd venture to say that eventually 100% of life on earth will be extinct.
Yep the sun will eventually "burn out" https://www.livescience.com/32879-wh...-sun-dies.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 02:08 PM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
6,406 posts, read 2,892,596 times
Reputation: 19938
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post


I guess I knew that, but it was an eyeopener to see it in the news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Yep the sun will eventually "burn out" https://www.livescience.com/32879-wh...-sun-dies.html
Sometimes I wonder at all these predictions. Are they confirmed as fact (somehow)? Or are they well-educated theory? Hypothesis.

You see this all the time in medical/health-science research; where something thought to be a final concensous is overturned.

Per the above link:

"Rather, when the sun expands into a red giant during the throes of death, it will vaporize the Earth.

Perhaps not the story you were hoping for, but there's no need to start buying star-death insurance yet. The time scale is long — 7 billion or 8 billion years from now, at least. Humans have been around only about 40-thousandth that amount of time; if the age of the Earth were compressed into a 24-hour day, humans would occupy only the last second, at most. If contemplating stellar lifetimes does nothing else, it should underscore the existential insignificance of our lives."

Yikes. But if humanity has been on the earth for one "40-thousandth" of 7 billion years? With the Hubble being launched in 1990; that is around one "250-millionth" of 7 billion years.

How do we know everything in the first 29 years of the next 7 billion?

I would also question our "insignificance" given that there has been no (unclassified, at least) evidence that humans exist anywhere else other than right here. Holy crap; that's not insignificant ...that's miraculous.

Even if it all started with a big bang; there is something hugely significant going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
16,760 posts, read 42,403,049 times
Reputation: 9297
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Sometimes I wonder at all these predictions. Are they confirmed as fact (somehow)? Or are they well-educated theory? Hypothesis.

You see this all the time in medical/health-science research; where something thought to be a final concensous is overturned.
Any conjecture about the future can at best be a "well-educated theory? Hypothesis."


Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Yikes. But if humanity has been on the earth for one "40-thousandth" of 7 billion years? With the Hubble being launched in 1990; that is around one "250-millionth" of 7 billion years.

How do we know everything in the first 29 years of the next 7 billion?

I would also question our "insignificance" given that there has been no (unclassified, at least) evidence that humans exist anywhere else other than right here. Holy crap; that's not insignificant ...that's miraculous.

Even if it all started with a big bang; there is something hugely significant going on.
Yes, I agree, I think it is more than our own ego that suggests "there is something hugely significant going on." Which definitely puts us well into the "well-educated theory and hypothesis" range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Boonies of N. Alabama
3,033 posts, read 2,614,435 times
Reputation: 5572
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I'm a lot more optimistic than that, but have not really tried to put a number on it.
Well... for me it's not a matter of pessimism...it's my belief system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 08:58 PM
 
1,096 posts, read 538,728 times
Reputation: 2594
If humans exist long enough we may discover that to exist is the ultimate dream. A dream ( know no other word to use) is all life has ever been since the big bang.

We are nothing more than DNA.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:27 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top