U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 07:57 AM

12,146 posts, read 5,741,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
We've lived in NJ, FL, and now in GA. We have far more birds here. Granted, we've made an effort to attract them, with plenty of natural coverage, four feeders, and an aerated bird bath. There were plenty of birds in FL, but not nearly the variety we now enjoy.
I agree - I have seen a far fewer variety of birds here in SW Florida than when I lived in North Carolina and Long Island, especially lately. Back around 2002 when I was planting a garden at my previous house I saw cardinals and red winged black birds regularly. Now I'm living about 4 miles away and the only thing I see are blackbirds, mockingbirds, mourning doves and an occasional blue jay. We also used to get the robin migration but I haven't seen them in many years. I have two bird and one hummingbird feeder.

On a different note are people doing a disservice by feeding the birds? Do we make them dependent on us? I realize in cold climates feeding the birds is a good thing but in places like Florida are we only doing it for our own enjoyment? Maybe this goes in the philosophy section....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 10:50 AM

4,100 posts, read 7,813,081 times
When I lived in El Monte, California, I walked almost every day at Peck Water Conservation Park. It was not the most beautiful place, but during the two years or so that I walked there I identified almost 100 species. (There were others that I saw, but I'm not good at identifying the tough ones.) There were the water birds: white pelicans, lots of kinds of ducks, grebes, cormorants, terns, herons and egrets, stilts, even avocets a couple times.

I saw great horned owls, phainopepla, western tanager, lesser nighthawk, great-tailed grackles, American and lesser goldfinch, osprey, a few woodpecker species, and many others.

A few of the common backyard ones, though, are mourning doves, mockingbirds, black phoebe, a couple kinds of hummingbirds, house sparrows, house finches, goldfinches (if you have a feeder), and scrub jays (my favorite jay).

Then we moved to the western piedmont of North Carolina. There our common backyard birds included chickadees, cardinals, bluejays, robins, and tufted titmice.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:39 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,602,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

On a different note are people doing a disservice by feeding the birds? Do we make them dependent on us? I realize in cold climates feeding the birds is a good thing but in places like Florida are we only doing it for our own enjoyment? Maybe this goes in the philosophy section....
Everything I've read and heard says no. Even Cornell Bird Lab feeds the birds all over. They say that the birds still know how to collect seeds, bugs or nectar. It's not the same as say feeding baby tiger cubs and then setting them loose not having learned how to hunt.
It's supposedly the equivalent of humans having restaurants instead of going thru the bother of shopping, cooking and eating at home.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:41 PM

Sometimes the difference is what kind of yard and town you live in. What trees and plants are nearby for them or.. water supplies. Woods or open land? Wild flower? Bugs? All of those variables create the environment of what birds you will see.

I lived in the exact same town as my mom.. just in another area and she got some birds I never saw in my own yard. I got some that she never did.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:23 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,706,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf View Post
Where is the best place in the U.S. for year-round backyard birds? I'm thinking about moving and one factor is diversity of bird species and overall abundance of birds year round. I've had a backyard in central Maine and southern Maryland. Southern Maryland definitely has central Maine beat. Has anyone who has lived in multiple places in the U.S. noticed which places are better?
We've got so many different varieties here in South-Central PA. Where do I start? Recently our feeders have been raided by rose-breasted grosbeaks (that's a new frequent visitor for us. We saw one once in NC but it didn't frequent us). You have your cardinals, goldfinches, blue-jays, mourning doves, red-bellied and downy woodpeckers, chickadees, nuthatches, titmice. Juncos in the winter. Purple finches are the "house sparrows" here that I had back in Indiana. I saw a yellow-bellied sapsucker a few times at our feeder. There's Flickers around too, but they didn't stop at our feeders. Grackles and Starlings are annoying, but they're there. Mockingbirds stop by a lot and they're very aggressive! Once I even saw a Brown Thrasher, but he hasn't come back at least when I could see him. There's a few different sparrows here too (I believe they're the white-throated sparrow and chipping sparrow but I could be off on identifying those).

So definitely a lot of varieties here (and there's probably some I missed). I'm still hoping to get my favorite bird, a pileated woodpecker to stop by, but he hasn't visited yet. The only time I've been able to get one of those to my bird feeder is when I lived in south-central Indiana. There were a lot of varieties there too, but so long ago my memory of it is a bit faint.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:59 PM

10,269 posts, read 3,539,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Yesterday... I took a few pics but thru windows so as not to run everything off.... looked out the window, had about 10 deer in the backyard. Then noticed 3 bright blue Indigo Buntings have arrived... hummingbirds have been here a few weeks now. The male and female Summer Tanagers have arrived (3rd yr in a row) and 2 Rose Breasted Grossbeaks! Then of course, the usual array of cardinals, mourning doves, wrens and titmouse. Oh.. and a flycatcher with some babies (dont know how many) under front porch. Definitely a colorful nature day here on the Ponderosa!!

Oh.. and night before last...very unusual... 2 Great Horned Owls really hooting back and forth LOUDLY late at night for a few hrs. No idea what that was all about, they usually don't make too much noise in the middle of the night.

And this is in a little hole in the woods (literally) in N. Alabama. I can only imagine what I might have here if I weren't covered in trees.

I spent my time in the Army, near Huntsville in that state. And there were many birds, all the year. Out at Wheeler NWR, there were a lot of migratory waterfowl and herons and egrets. A mockingbird often perched in a magnolia tree outside our barracks and kept us awake after 3 a.m., with its singing. The bobwhites and mourning doves were plentiful.

When I arrived at the base, there were no deer or wild turkeys in the region. But the Army and the Alabama Wildlife Dept. started a project to re-introduce them. I heard later, that this was successful and there were turkeys and deer all over the place. Do you have turkeys where you live now? If so, I wonder if they came from that bunch that started at the Army base? They also tried to re-introduce red wolves, but that failed. When they let the wolves out of a cage where they had kept them, to accustom themselves to the area near the Tennessee River, they disappeared and were never seen again.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I spent my time in the Army, near Huntsville in that state. And there were many birds, all the year. Out at Wheeler NWR, there were a lot of migratory waterfowl and herons and egrets. A mockingbird often perched in a magnolia tree outside our barracks and kept us awake after 3 a.m., with its singing. The bobwhites and mourning doves were plentiful.

When I arrived at the base, there were no deer or wild turkeys in the region. But the Army and the Alabama Wildlife Dept. started a project to re-introduce them. I heard later, that this was successful and there were turkeys and deer all over the place. Do you have turkeys where you live now? If so, I wonder if they came from that bunch that started at the Army base? They also tried to re-introduce red wolves, but that failed. When they let the wolves out of a cage where they had kept them, to accustom themselves to the area near the Tennessee River, they disappeared and were never seen again.
Huntsville is where I shop and where most of my family live...there and around it (My husband was once stationed at Redstone also, then off to Korea). I'm not terribly far from Wheeler. I'm actually in the edge of Bankhead Nat'l Forest.
And yes.. there are lots of turkey here now. I don't get too many of them personally on my property. If I go to my sisters around Sept and Oct especially I'll see quite a lot of them off the sides of the road...sort of in Hazel Green. They get them on their property quite a bit too. Usually I see them in groups of 10-15 or so.
No wolves that I'm aware of but the coyote population is getting out of control. They're all over the place inside populated Hsv now. Stealing people's pets.
Oh.. and my parents, in S. Hsv have a few foxes living in their backyard now also.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:59 AM

1,984 posts, read 2,022,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
We've got so many different varieties here in South-Central PA. Where do I start? Recently our feeders have been raided by rose-breasted grosbeaks (that's a new frequent visitor for us. We saw one once in NC but it didn't frequent us). You have your cardinals, goldfinches, blue-jays, mourning doves, red-bellied and downy woodpeckers, chickadees, nuthatches, titmice. Juncos in the winter. Purple finches are the "house sparrows" here that I had back in Indiana. I saw a yellow-bellied sapsucker a few times at our feeder. There's Flickers around too, but they didn't stop at our feeders. Grackles and Starlings are annoying, but they're there. Mockingbirds stop by a lot and they're very aggressive! Once I even saw a Brown Thrasher, but he hasn't come back at least when I could see him. There's a few different sparrows here too (I believe they're the white-throated sparrow and chipping sparrow but I could be off on identifying those).

So definitely a lot of varieties here (and there's probably some I missed). I'm still hoping to get my favorite bird, a pileated woodpecker to stop by, but he hasn't visited yet. The only time I've been able to get one of those to my bird feeder is when I lived in south-central Indiana. There were a lot of varieties there too, but so long ago my memory of it is a bit faint.
I have a pair of pileated woodpeckers in my yard. I can't imagine them coming to a feeder. They seem to be nesting in a hollow limb and haven't come lower than maybe 30 feet. My yard is part of a mature oak/hickory forest in a suburban area.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:32 PM

2,787 posts, read 1,524,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

On a different note are people doing a disservice by feeding the birds? Do we make them dependent on us? .

I wondered that too. Then I thought, if I was growing sunflowers on a farm, I'd be inadvertently feeding the birds with my crop, the same as other various farms and other crops. Birds take advantage of crops seasonally when there is an abundance there, such as blackberry bushes on my property, huckleberry bushes, etc., and they use other sources the rest of the year. After that thought occurred to me, I now think of my bird feeders as just another source of food for them, like a crop in a field, bugs on the ground, or native plant sources in the wild. My feeders are only full part of each day, so they do still look for other sources besides my feeders, and they are not completely dependent on me for food. From that point of view, I don't think I'm doing them a disservice (at least I hope not).

I do, however, worry about people who don't keep their bird feeders clean so as not to spread disease, and I'm fanatical about cleaning the feeders and birdbaths for that reason.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:35 AM

23,878 posts, read 20,292,699 times
Another thing I am disappointed with about Florida. At least SWFL. Non-variety of birds. I had more of a variety back in Plymouth, Mass. Unfortunately I have no say about planting anything since I am just a tenant, so I try and appreciate what I can see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or