Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 05:30 PM

82 posts, read 105,099 times

Advertisements

Where is the best place in the U.S. for year-round backyard birds? I'm thinking about moving and one factor is diversity of bird species and overall abundance of birds year round. I've had a backyard in central Maine and southern Maryland. Southern Maryland definitely has central Maine beat. Has anyone who has lived in multiple places in the U.S. noticed which places are better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 06:32 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Traveling parts of the US.... Texas, Florida....southern coastal states....having birds who over winter there, plus migrants, plus the birds that live there year round, including coastal and sea birds.

But someone else might disagree.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:02 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,532,948 times
When I lived in Seattle I missed the Cardinals I got while living on the east coast. That said, I kinda liked the Stellar's jays a bit better than Blue jays, and I got Chestnut-backed chickadees in addition to Black-capped. Plus I got Pine siskins ... which were actually like weeds. There were also 3 different kinds of hummingbirds around Seattle, including Anna's, which stayed around even in the winter!

Now that I'm in Kansas City I like having Cardinals again. And while I don't get any other chickadees besides Black-capped, I also get Tufted titmice which I didn't get in Seattle. Seattle has bushtits but they don't go to bird feeders.

When I lived in Spokane I saw a lot of Mountain chickadees (which were VERY tame), though I didn't have a bird feeder there so I can't give a full briefing.

I've sometimes wondered what kinds of nifty birds you'd get in southern California?

But seriously, my general observation in the places I lived is that it's a bit of a wash. Some places you get nifty species you don't get in other places ... but that's true of most places.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:23 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
We've lived in NJ, FL, and now in GA. We have far more birds here. Granted, we've made an effort to attract them, with plenty of natural coverage, four feeders, and an aerated bird bath. There were plenty of birds in FL, but not nearly the variety we now enjoy.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:41 PM

1,665 posts, read 974,799 times
We live in a rural area in SWLA. Throughout the year, we have many species that grace our presence. Our area is known for a flyway between Canada and Mexico. We see a number of birds ranging from Whooping Cranes to Meadowlarks. Thankfully just about all year, I see my favorite. The Red Winged Black Bird. Also there's another that catches my eye, and that would be the Roseate Spoonbill. The occasional Blue Jay and Cardinals are always out. And for a laugh, we can't get enough of watching the Mockingbirds swoop down and antagonize Oscar, our cat.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:00 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
Apparently, after doing a little reading because I thought that was an interesting question... there is no one best place in the US.... different birds have different migrating patterns and there isn't any 'best' area or path (like one might find for tornadoes or such) according to the different websites I landed on.

Birding Hotspots | Where Do Migrating Birds Spend the Winter?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ion/691347001/

Old 04-26-2018, 05:32 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
I have lived in fla , ohio , ga , tn and now sc . I must say florida and sc have had the most backyard birds to me . I provide feeders and bird bath and water and they certainly love it and I love hearing them sing and chirp .

Old 04-27-2018, 07:46 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
I can tell you that the piedmont area NC is pretty good. We get a large number of species both during migration and those that stay.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:27 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
Yesterday... I took a few pics but thru windows so as not to run everything off.... looked out the window, had about 10 deer in the backyard. Then noticed 3 bright blue Indigo Buntings have arrived... hummingbirds have been here a few weeks now. The male and female Summer Tanagers have arrived (3rd yr in a row) and 2 Rose Breasted Grossbeaks! Then of course, the usual array of cardinals, mourning doves, wrens and titmouse. Oh.. and a flycatcher with some babies (dont know how many) under front porch. Definitely a colorful nature day here on the Ponderosa!!

Oh.. and night before last...very unusual... 2 Great Horned Owls really hooting back and forth LOUDLY late at night for a few hrs. No idea what that was all about, they usually don't make too much noise in the middle of the night.

And this is in a little hole in the woods (literally) in N. Alabama. I can only imagine what I might have here if I weren't covered in trees.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:38 PM

36 posts, read 43,250 times
Everglades in Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature