U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2018, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
11,179 posts, read 6,113,231 times
Reputation: 9262

Advertisements

We just met at no more than 6 feet ..... and a pane of glass or two.

So thoughts on feeders.....or leave them alone? Thoughts on construction to avoid doing? Thoughts?

On Monday, I will see what the extension service says but for now.........thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2018, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Boonies of N. Alabama
3,024 posts, read 2,602,554 times
Reputation: 5548
?? I don't quite understand your situation or question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
11,179 posts, read 6,113,231 times
Reputation: 9262
I want to have hummingbirds (and others).

How do I let them know they are welcomed here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 08:39 AM
 
4,881 posts, read 5,072,488 times
Reputation: 7358
This:
Expert Tips for Attracting Hummingbirds - Birds and Blooms
(making your own nectar is easy and there is no need to use food coloring)

Note- depending where you place the feeder, most likely it might attract ants. There are
several ways to discourage ants from hummingbird feeders (non-toxic).
How To Keep Ants Out Of Your Hummingbird Feeder

Flowers (scroll down on this link):
https://www.abchomeandcommercial.com...irds-in-texas/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
11,179 posts, read 6,113,231 times
Reputation: 9262
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
This:
Expert Tips for Attracting Hummingbirds - Birds and Blooms
(making your own nectar is easy and there is no need to use food coloring)

Note- depending where you place the feeder, most likely it might attract ants. There are
several ways to discourage ants from hummingbird feeders (non-toxic).
How To Keep Ants Out Of Your Hummingbird Feeder

Flowers (scroll down on this link):
https://www.abchomeandcommercial.com...irds-in-texas/
Ants!

That's a good point to work on. ABC is my pest control service and they spray monthly to keep the ants, wasps, and scorpions away from the house. I use them and pay them a bundle because I trust them to use specifics that don't harm other things. I don't use the sayings of my yard crew who tell me I am wasting money and should just go down to "Lowes", get a sprayer, some poison, and do it myself.

I don't "mind" ants if they are not in the house. In fact, I view the fire ants as part of the defense system.

So if I placed the feeders out in the surrounding trees, both those in inside the house perimeter, those more distant, and even those in the "deep forest", what problems might I be looking at?

I suppose that I view my ranch as an animal preserve. Right now, it is just natural habitat. I have one bird house out but I don't think it is used, they do like to nest under the cap for my propane tank. Eventually, I might put up bat houses in the ranch, probably won't put those up next to the house.

Finally, there is also that consideration for down the road if I ever decide to start raising chickens and goats. Will having feeders out for the wild birds "now" produce complications ever I go that direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
12,230 posts, read 3,726,888 times
Reputation: 9026
I would think that if you keep the bird feeders away from where the goats and chickens are, you should have no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Boonies of N. Alabama
3,024 posts, read 2,602,554 times
Reputation: 5548
What we do... and we are deep in the forest... and here's a peek at just one of our feeders and we frequently end up with 4 or 5...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tao8ibrw8XA&t=17s (closest one near the door so I didn't scatter them going outside).
I set bright fake flowers out on my patio so they will see them and be drawn in since I'm deep in the woods. We have been putting feeders out for 20 some odd yrs. Always put them out at the same date... hummingbirds will return and often bring others with them and if the feeder isn't out when they return from migration, they will go elsewhere. If you have the feeders up your population will continue to grow over the years. I''m in North Alabama and I have to have my feeders out by March 15th every year.
Do NOT color the nectar.. they don't need it to attract them and it's not good for them anyway.
Nectar is 1 part sugar, 4 parts water. Boil 2 cups water, add in 1/2 c. sugar, bring back to a boil quickly while stirring, then take off the heat and let cool then fill feeders.
Right now, I change the nectar about every week but could prob go a little longer. As it gets hotter out you might have to change it a bit more frequently to keep mildew from building in it.
If you let it run dry... they'll leave if it's empty too long. That's when we start putting up more or larger feeders. When we are at the height of the season we use huge feeders and sometimes have to refill in the same day. (those are busy feeders)

If you really want to build up a population it is a commitment. If you just want to observe the occasional hummingbirds you don't need to be quite so diligent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Boonies of N. Alabama
3,024 posts, read 2,602,554 times
Reputation: 5548
Oh.. and a lot of the feeders have ant moats built right into the top.. and you can buy some that hang above the feeder.
If you don't get any nectar on the outside of the feeder it shouldn't be too much of a problem.. if you do get some on the outside of the feeder.. rinse it off or you can really have a nightmare on your hands.
Occasionally you might see a praying mantis near the feeder. If so, knock it away or something. They will kill hummingbirds. They lie in wait for them by the feeders sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Lone Mountain Las Vegas NV
14,748 posts, read 5,832,063 times
Reputation: 6825
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
What we do... and we are deep in the forest... and here's a peek at just one of our feeders and we frequently end up with 4 or 5...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tao8ibrw8XA&t=17s (closest one near the door so I didn't scatter them going outside).
I set bright fake flowers out on my patio so they will see them and be drawn in since I'm deep in the woods. We have been putting feeders out for 20 some odd yrs. Always put them out at the same date... hummingbirds will return and often bring others with them and if the feeder isn't out when they return from migration, they will go elsewhere. If you have the feeders up your population will continue to grow over the years. I''m in North Alabama and I have to have my feeders out by March 15th every year.
Do NOT color the nectar.. they don't need it to attract them and it's not good for them anyway.
Nectar is 1 part sugar, 4 parts water. Boil 2 cups water, add in 1/2 c. sugar, bring back to a boil quickly while stirring, then take off the heat and let cool then fill feeders.
Right now, I change the nectar about every week but could prob go a little longer. As it gets hotter out you might have to change it a bit more frequently to keep mildew from building in it.
If you let it run dry... they'll leave if it's empty too long. That's when we start putting up more or larger feeders. When we are at the height of the season we use huge feeders and sometimes have to refill in the same day. (those are busy feeders)

If you really want to build up a population it is a commitment. If you just want to observe the occasional hummingbirds you don't need to be quite so diligent.
Fascinating...my guys are territorial. Get two at the feeder at once the war is on. And they play rough. Whack each other. And one or the other leaves. Different species?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2018, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Canada
6,203 posts, read 4,617,794 times
Reputation: 17182
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Fascinating...my guys are territorial. Get two at the feeder at once the war is on. And they play rough. Whack each other. And one or the other leaves. Different species?
We have hummers at our cottage. I used to have just one feeder out the front but the little darlings were spending more time fighting/defending, than eating.

So okay I thought, I'll buy two so they'll each have a feeder and won't fight.

I left the one in front and put the other one around the side near the back of the cottage hanging from a tree. Well, that worked for all of five minutes. One of the little darlings got smart and parked his little toes in a tree at the corner so he could watch and guard BOTH of them. lol Two feeders and they still fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top