U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 08:21 AM

3,025 posts, read 2,603,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
And here are the little ones, I think about a week away from fledgling.

Yep.. looks like they'll be fledging soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 08:24 AM

12,926 posts, read 5,945,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
We did pretty good. One of the reasons I'm careful tho is that I read that a lot of birds, once it's dark, they don't see very well to fly and can easily be injured and I didn't want that to happen to mama.
But yeah.. it gets old.
Same here. When mom was staying at the nest, I was careful not to open the door once it got dark out. It was a hassle having to go through the garage or through the back and side gate but worth it.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:50 AM

27,091 posts, read 6,888,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I originally thought they were ruby throated, but they are Anna's. I live in So Cal. For those who don't know this species, here's what an adult male looks like.

Thanks....lovely, we don't have them here.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:36 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,007,623 times
I have eastern phoebes nesting under my eaves for about the tenth year in a row. They started out front on the floodlights right above my door, but I couldnt use that door at night for fear of flushing her which was a bit too much an nconvenience...plus being out front my cars were far too convenient perches to resist, with predictably messy results. So at the end of that summer I knocked it down, and again the next spring when they started to rebuild it. Then they switched to the back, right above my kitchen window. Every time I went to the sink the male would spot me from his perch on the clothes line pole, and come try and scare me off just outside the window. Finally they moved over a few feet away from the window, so we coexist better now.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:02 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,007,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I have eastern phoebes nesting under my eaves for about the tenth year in a row. They started out front on the floodlights right above my door, but I couldnt use that door at night for fear of flushing her which was a bit too much an nconvenience...plus being out front my cars were far too convenient perches to resist, with predictably messy results. So at the end of that summer I knocked it down, and again the next spring when they started to rebuild it. Then they switched to the back, right above my kitchen window. Every time I went to the sink the male would spot me from his perch on the clothes line pole, and come try and scare me off just outside the window. Finally they moved over a few feet away from the window, so we coexist better now.

their babies look like a hairless hungry batch of Burgess Merediths

Old 06-03-2018, 07:19 PM

The big day happened sooner than expected. I happened to be leaving for work this morning and there was one of the babies perched out of the nest. The last few days I witnessed an incredible growth spurt, with their beaks really getting noticeably longer.
I'm elated this had a happy ending for the babies and mom too who worked tirelessly to raise her two little ones.

Here's one of the kids on the left perching and if you look hard, you can see brother or sister still sitting in the nest a little bit to the right.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:10 AM

3,025 posts, read 2,603,552 times
It's amazing, isn't it? How quickly they go from egg to leaving the nest? I was really surprised the first time I saw how quickly the end run is with the babes just before leaving the nest. It's sort of a bittersweet moment.
Thanks for the pics and the follow through tho!! It was great fun!

Old 06-04-2018, 08:13 AM

27,091 posts, read 6,888,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
It's amazing, isn't it? How quickly they go from egg to leaving the nest? I was really surprised the first time I saw how quickly the end run is with the babes just before leaving the nest. It's sort of a bittersweet moment.
Thanks for the pics and the follow through tho!! It was great fun!

Yes, thanks for the pics and updates...glad all went well and they're off to life out in the world.

Congratulations, overseer....

Old 06-04-2018, 08:26 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,230,986 times
What an excellent custodian you have been to Mom and babies. Hope we see this again next year Love the photo journal too. Thanks Marino

Old 04-25-2019, 10:06 AM

Mom is back refurbishing the same nest she used last year almost exactly one year later. Looks like we're going to have babies again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or