U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 10:49 PM

1,804 posts, read 916,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
I hate to admit it, but I did capture an albino corn snake while hiking a few years ago. He makes a great pet. I felt badly about, and still do, but I knew a bright pink snake wriggling around in an open field wouldn't have a very long life expectancy.
Sounds like you did the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 11:31 PM

7,195 posts, read 3,213,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
That's why I am scared of those snakes...they can appear in an instant in lakes and rivers....glad you were ok.
Thanks & me too! We used to go searching for the little garter snakes down by the river all the time. Found a lot too.

We were cautious about Rattlers, growing up in southern Colorado & spending summers in New Mexico; my uncle had a big German Shepherd named Sarah who had survived a rattlesnake bite but it left fang scars on her nose. That Water Moccasins would be a possiblity, however; had never crossed my mind.

But it should have. I’ll never forget the look on the faces of the people on the river bank when my leg came out of the water with that snake on it; one guy tried to scream something but he froze. I already had seen it anyway.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:49 AM

31,767 posts, read 21,326,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
1) Best wishes for that man to fully recover. Let it be a warning to all who read this thread.

2) Re the life, times, and death of Joe Slowinski, read Jamie James, The Snake Charmer: A Life and Death in Pursuit of Knowledge: https://smile.amazon.com/Snake-Charm...+snake+charmer

It is a fascinating read and very well written, by a professional writer. It has little sections on herpetology interlaced in the narrative. He interviewed the participants on that mission to Myamar (was it called Burma back then?), and Joe's friends and colleagues in academia.

3) I have been told that water moccasins are "territorial", so that may explain why one might trail you along a bank, appearing to "track" you. But the other poison N. American snakes (coral, copperhead, rattlesnake) are not aggressive. If a human gets bitten, it is most probably because almost stepped on the snake, or were handling the snake.

Basically, we humans have destroyed and invaded their habitat. If they could talk, they would say "get out of my yard!" However that may be, I can understand protecting young children and pets from their bite. Please relocate them if at all possible -- cities have animal control officers who can do this safely.

4) Texas (where I have lived my entire life) is shameful in its treatment of snakes. As elsewhere in the deep South, Sweetwater has its annual herpetological holocaust, AKA rattlesnake roundup. There are prizes for who catches the most, and the biggest rattler, etc. These rattlers are not found around town, nor in people's yards, but mostly out in the desert. Most are captured when gasoline/kerosene fumes are sprayed into their dens, forcing them to vacate the den.

Prior to the show, the snakes are kept in barrels,and many suffocate or die from dehydration prior to the event.

Environmentalists have tried to get this shut down, but Sweetwater businesses make too much money off this roundup. Come to find out that torturing snakes is a boom for the local economy. TX Parks & Wildlife raised concern several years ago, because it violates agency standards against fossil fuels being released in the environment. They did a long study and, after all was said and done, the politicians made them back off. No ban was issued. I would like to tell you this didn't happen, but it did.

Investigative reporters are routinely harassed or even arrested by local law enforcement officers if they try to report on this event. I even wrote the elected representative (in whose district Sweetwater is located) asking her to ban this needless cruelty.

Snakes are vertebrates with advanced nervous systems. They can and do experience pain; they simply don't have vocal cords to express such. They are amazing creatures that we need to treat with utmost respect and it is best to leave them alone.

Get a grip -- it must be depressing for a snake that enjoys the natural environment and its den to be confined to a plastic case for its entire life. There are plenty of domestic critters that make great pets; don't take wild animals and lock 'em up. That should be self-evident.

Thank you. You may now returned to your regular Internet surfing. And have a great day.
i once attended a similar event [rattlesnake roundup] in western Oklahoma. never again.

every year there is a pretty substantial prize, like a nice, big ATV, for the person who brings in the largest rattler. and as it turned out, people knowing this in advance, had taken to raising some absolute whoppers in their basements. they even devised contraptions that would force-feed big cans of dog food down the snakes' gullets. they got so big and fat they didn't even want to move :|

Old 05-18-2018, 11:54 AM

27,091 posts, read 7,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
1) Best wishes for that man to fully recover. Let it be a warning to all who read this thread.

2) Re the life, times, and death of Joe Slowinski, read Jamie James, The Snake Charmer: A Life and Death in Pursuit of Knowledge: https://smile.amazon.com/Snake-Charm...+snake+charmer

It is a fascinating read and very well written, by a professional writer. It has little sections on herpetology interlaced in the narrative. He interviewed the participants on that mission to Myamar (was it called Burma back then?), and Joe's friends and colleagues in academia.

3) I have been told that water moccasins are "territorial", so that may explain why one might trail you along a bank, appearing to "track" you. But the other poison N. American snakes (coral, copperhead, rattlesnake) are not aggressive. If a human gets bitten, it is most probably because almost stepped on the snake, or were handling the snake.

Basically, we humans have destroyed and invaded their habitat. If they could talk, they would say "get out of my yard!" However that may be, I can understand protecting young children and pets from their bite. Please relocate them if at all possible -- cities have animal control officers who can do this safely.

4) Texas (where I have lived my entire life) is shameful in its treatment of snakes. As elsewhere in the deep South, Sweetwater has its annual herpetological holocaust, AKA rattlesnake roundup. There are prizes for who catches the most, and the biggest rattler, etc. These rattlers are not found around town, nor in people's yards, but mostly out in the desert. Most are captured when gasoline/kerosene fumes are sprayed into their dens, forcing them to vacate the den.

Prior to the show, the snakes are kept in barrels,and many suffocate or die from dehydration prior to the event.

Environmentalists have tried to get this shut down, but Sweetwater businesses make too much money off this roundup. Come to find out that torturing snakes is a boom for the local economy. TX Parks & Wildlife raised concern several years ago, because it violates agency standards against fossil fuels being released in the environment. They did a long study and, after all was said and done, the politicians made them back off. No ban was issued. I would like to tell you this didn't happen, but it did.

Investigative reporters are routinely harassed or even arrested by local law enforcement officers if they try to report on this event. I even wrote the elected representative (in whose district Sweetwater is located) asking her to ban this needless cruelty.

Snakes are vertebrates with advanced nervous systems. They can and do experience pain; they simply don't have vocal cords to express such. They are amazing creatures that we need to treat with utmost respect and it is best to leave them alone.

Get a grip -- it must be depressing for a snake that enjoys the natural environment and its den to be confined to a plastic case for its entire life. There are plenty of domestic critters that make great pets; don't take wild animals and lock 'em up. That should be self-evident.

Thank you. You may now returned to your regular Internet surfing. And have a great day.

Hearing this about a rattlesnake roundup gives me nausea...

I had no idea and can't believe there are such vile and ignorant people. It's vicious and horrible and so very unfair. There is so much to appreciate about all snakes, venomous and otherwise.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:00 PM

6,427 posts, read 434,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
poor guy.
Poor guy???

No, I say poor kids! They have an adult in their lives showing/teaching them that picking up or messing with wildlife is acceptable behavior. It is sad to think of how many stupid things are being taught to kids everyday, everywhere, by stupid people. (Yeah, that's right, I broke a PC law by saying some people are stupid.)

Forrest Gump's mama was right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tldGgGFe194

Old 05-18-2018, 12:46 PM

4,852 posts, read 7,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I can't conceive of being any stupider than picking up a snake to play with it. Maybe let your kid "pet" it.

They talk about make-believe "hate crimes." What there SHOULD be is "stupidity crimes."
Those are real, and not constitutionally protected.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:07 PM

24,055 posts, read 15,737,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
All creatures have their place. But not all creatures belong everywhere. A cockroach in the baby's bassinet is going to be quickly dispatched. Any scorpion spotted here is doomed as quick as a way to dispatch it is available.

Any venomous reptile is out of our yard immediately. If the situation allows...bag and relocate. But if not out. We will leave rodent control to the cat and dog and the coyotes on the other side of the wall.

And note that a bitten cat or dog can run through thousands of dollars. And we love our creatures so we are not going to be sensible about it. So those things that threaten them...gone.

We have already had one $30,000 dog. Do not need another.
Sure, when venomous creatures threaten your family or pets, they should be dispatched or trapped and relocated. When they are in their natural environment, or when you are in their backyard, you should leave them alone. I think most people would agree.

Sorry to hear about your dog, would love to hear more details on what happened.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:22 PM

3,180 posts, read 2,163,860 times
I have a pretty good variety of snakes on my property. Copperheads, black snakes, garter snakes, green snakes, ring necked snakes, king snakes, northern water snakes, etc. I see no reason to kill any of them unless said snake represents a clear and present danger to life and limb....fact is, most don't...even the poisonous ones. All my dogs have been bitten by copperheads at one time or another and recovered within a short period of time.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:17 PM

1,558 posts, read 1,232,999 times
What gripes me are the people that purposefully run over snakes that are crossing the highway.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:22 PM

27,091 posts, read 7,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
What gripes me are the people that purposefully run over snakes that are crossing the highway.

Me too...or turtles, frogs etc. To purposefully kill an innocent animal or reptile is revolting...not a fan of hunting either, guess you can tell.

I don't like those people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or