U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 04:39 PM

27,650 posts, read 12,067,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The bird is seeing his own reflection and thinks it's a competitor moving into his territory, so he attacks. As long as he can see his reflection, it will continue.
This is exactly it. I had the same thing happen to me many years ago. It was affecting my sleep as it would start at the break of down, and woke me up hours before my normal time. I'd go into work dead tired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 09:21 PM

5,611 posts, read 3,176,120 times
Maybe this robin has given himself brain damage by this time banging into the windows.

I used to have one set up a nest in the tree right over my fence every year. Once a stray cat took up residence and every time that cat sat out in my yard, the robin went nuts and shrieked non-stop. I swore if I could catch that robin, I'd feed him to the cat.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:22 PM

13,374 posts, read 6,381,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Maybe this robin has given himself brain damage by this time banging into the windows.

I used to have one set up a nest in the tree right over my fence every year. Once a stray cat took up residence and every time that cat sat out in my yard, the robin went nuts and shrieked non-stop. I swore if I could catch that robin, I'd feed him to the cat.
You could have just chased the cat out of your yard, LOL.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:52 AM

3,309 posts, read 2,779,055 times
I taped up some pieces of brightly colored construction paper on my back patio door for the same reason. It has helped tremendously.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:06 AM

752 posts, read 755,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I was going to suggest the same thing. Put something outside your window like a sheet, newspaper, whatever so he sees it as a solid, not an open space and his reflection. After a few days, he'll move on to another part of his territory since that other bird he keeps seeing is no longer there.
I’ve done the sheet thingy to no avail. Thanks, my wife says that at the bus stops in Germany they put those decals up. We have ordered some off Amazing. Good thing is we are going to our home in Maine after Memorial Day, as long as he doesn’t follow..........

Old 05-18-2018, 10:13 AM

752 posts, read 755,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
We are having this problem for the first time ever. Oh sure, we've occasionally had a bird fly into a window, sometimes with a very bad outcome, and other times they are stunned a bit, sit on the ground for a while and then fly away.

But the past few weeks....there is a robin that does this on and off from sun up until sun down. It's actually getting to the point where I'm getting angry and I told my wife I'm about ready to go outside and take the pellet gun after him. I too am an animal lover and haven't intentionally killed any animal in over 30 years....but this robin is flat out pissing me off.

There are times he does it 5 or 6 times in a 30 second period. He approaches the window, bangs against it, backs up a bit (in the air while flying) and bangs it again....and again, and again. There may be a 5 minute break and then he'll start on another window and do the same thing. We may then have a half hour break and it all starts over again on another window.

I'm pretty sure it's same robin because a few times I've gone outside and watched for a bit.

My wife googled the problem and said it's a male robin seeing himself in the reflection and trying to scare off other potential male mates competing for females to mate with.

Whatever it is, we've never had it before, and it's getting irritating real fast.

I'd think the window decals would be a good idea, except banging into the same window 5 or 6 times in a row tells me he's either not a real quick learner, he's mentally challenged, or he just likes hitting things.....and a decal isn't likely to change his behavior.

I showed my wife your post and we laughed in sympathy for you. We could have penned the same words. She told me about the KIA , a bird in her Native New Zealand that’s been known to eat windshield wipers, tires, and generally be a huge PITA to any human civilization efforts that come in its path!

Old 05-18-2018, 11:01 AM

4,909 posts, read 7,686,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Dwatted, just repped you on another post. But really...newspaper? They still make that stuff?
Yes, in fact we actually read them!

AND...old newspapers come in very handy when we get lucky enough to trap a feral and get them to the fix-and-return vet. Our last spayed kitty had to stay inside for two weeks, according to the vet, because she was in heat though not pregnant.

She was so sweet and personable, and we didn't have the heart to return her to the males who'd been chasing and raping her regularly, that we adopted her. She is the sweetest and goofiest kitty, she purrs when you touch her, she's adapted nicely.

I always had a fondness for robins. A friend mentioned one is doing the same thing to his window. I'll have to ask him how it turned out.

Having ferals, as well as squirrels, raccoons, possums, boo coo birds, the occasional bunnykins and ground hog/burrower of some sort in our back yard, has given me a vastly greater appreciation for how difficult life in the wild really is. I found a run-over momma possum about a year ago out on the street. She had about eight babies inside. All dead of course. I gave her a Christian possum burial.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:53 PM

5,611 posts, read 3,176,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You could have just chased the cat out of your yard, LOL.
I did. He was like a husband. He kept finding his way back.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:49 PM

2,341 posts, read 1,168,891 times
I had a crazy Robin attacking a window a few yes ago. The crazy thing was it was a window with a screen over it. But apparently could still make out a hazy reflection through the screen. After a few days or more of attacking the screen it must have gotten one of its legs caught because the crazy thing continued to attack but one of its legs a dangling, obviously broken. It stopped after a week or so, must ha e found a mate, that's my happy ending to it's story anyway.

If you look at a Robin going after a worm or bug in the grass they really do look like a velociraptor.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:13 AM

808 posts, read 834,333 times
Male cardinals do this to my house windows and my car side mirrors. Kinda funny. But they see a reflection and are being territorial. Something needs to be hung on the outside to prevent the reflection, won't work if you hang a blanket on the inside, they'll still see the reflection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or