U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 01:47 AM

17,861 posts, read 11,357,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote lite View Post
Wow! What a blessing, and it's wonderful that you're appreciative of your good fortune. I've only been to MT once so far, and was blown away by the beauty. I have no words to do it justice. Just . . . wow.

I'm in corn country in IL so have plenty (too many) deer. We have groundhogs, raccoons and possums, gophers, and turkey vultures. And skunks, lots of skunks! I'd be happy to send a pickup load of any of the above critters to anyone who's lacking . . .

I'd like a load of skunks delivered to my former boss, please. Anonymously of course.

Someday, I will go see an elk. Only a few counties over. Maybe this fall when the leaves are off the trees. Might be easier to see.

Thanks for sharing that, Griz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 11:46 AM

15,613 posts, read 12,566,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Well folks, this just happened.........

I am sitting here in the Liv Rm on the couch facing the TV watching the 1 o'clock news and right next to the TV is a 4' x 6.5' sliding glass door (closed) looking out on about 2.5 acres of open area of lush wild field grasses and wild flowers..
Behind this grass and wild flower area are about 7 acres of 40 to 50 Ponderosa Pines, 80 Aspen and all kinds of thick brush that ends up against the 40 foot wide creek that is my southern boundry.....lot is about 1190 x 515.

About 1:15 I look up and see 2 White Tail bucks grazing about 60 feet from the house...along with 3 wild Turkeys catching insects about 30 feet away.
All of a sudden (2) cow Elk come running (spooked) out of the wooded area with (2) brand new born calves right behind them. They see the deer and turkeys and evidently think this is a "safe-place".........they put on the brakes....stop about 60 feet from them and stand perfectly still for about a minute.............they then start grazing just like the deer.

So here I 've got: ....(2) 3to4 yr old deer in velvet....2 cow elk w/ 2 new born calves,.....and 3 turkeys, ......all within 250 feet of each other........AND a mated pair of Valley Quail nested under the deck!!!
First time I've ever (in 40 yrs) had this variety of wildlife in view from my living room ALL AT THE SAME TIME!

Life is good..........man, I love living here!!!!!

Lol. I envy you. Right now I live in the city, but don't fit in. I spent most of my life butting up against the wilds and miss it dearly. Looking at life from the back of a horse and either making peace or waging war with the various wild life we coexisted with. When it was war it was always mostly with marauding coyotes or mountain lions. The cats we had to go after were always old or injured. But they would go blood drunk and slaughter whole pens of sheep and multiple calves eating only selected portions. The end of the trail was both solemn and a relief.

Racoons, porcupines, kit foxes, all manner of hawks owls and even eagles, ring tailed cats and lots of snakes would visit us all the time. I really miss it.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:45 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,528,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lol. I envy you. Right now I live in the city, but don't fit in. I spent most of my life butting up against the wilds and miss it dearly. Looking at life from the back of a horse and either making peace or waging war with the various wild life we coexisted with. When it was war it was always mostly with marauding coyotes or mountain lions. The cats we had to go after were always old or injured. 》》》》》》》》》But they would go blood drunk and slaughter whole pens of sheep《《《《《《《《《《 and multiple calves eating only selected portions. The end of the trail was both solemn and a relief.

Racoons, porcupines, kit foxes, all manner of hawks owls and even eagles, ring tailed cats and lots of snakes would visit us all the time. I really miss it.
I really do understand your feelings regarding living in the city vs out in the boonies......I hope that can change for you some time in the near future.
Regarding your comment about a whole flock of Sheep being slaughtered..........
........IIRC, about 8 or 9 years ago, a rancher outside of Dillion, MT had spent many,many years building up a very large registered flock of a very rare specie of Sheep. ... He had the original Foundation Bucks and Ewes flown over from the Perenyees Mountains in Spain..............IIRC, it had taken him over 25 yrs and lots of money to get his Flock up around 400.
.............Long story short...........

One night when he had over two Hundred of them corralled up for SHEARING over the next several days ,.....a pack of (7) wolves got into the enclosures and killed 220!!!!!!!!!!
Needless to say, rumor has it that the THREE "S" RULE was implemented in that area by all the locals and wolf problems were reduced to almost zero over the next several months!

Old 06-05-2018, 04:51 PM

2,975 posts, read 2,543,562 times
I love these posts!

I’m tired of hearing “oh , when you get older, move to a condo! Downsize! Who wants to take care of a yard! You have to live in the suburbs/city! What about getting to the hospital?” Blah blah blah.

You’re my heroes.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:06 PM

391 posts, read 205,433 times
Quote:
I was born in Cook County, Il and raised in northern Lake County until the age of 19......Grew up as a kid in the rural area between Diamond Lake and Libertyville......my bird dog, a shotgun, rifle or fishing rod were my constant companions
I then worked my way through college and graduated in 1954.
In those years rabbits, squirrels, ducks, geese and fish were a frequent part of our menu at home.
After college and a few years of working in Illinois, .....I changed companies that I knew wanted someone to move to Colorado.........made the move and ultimately ended up in Montana.........Smartest thing I ever did was get out of IL.
Plan, research, make connections and always be aware that your every day life is more productive, ,fulfilling and enjoyable if you live where you can pursue your interests, hobbies and past-times.
It wasn't easy, ...but nothing in life that is worthwhile ever comes easy.
In my 87th year now, ..I still look every morning at the engraving that's on my kitchen table on my coffee mug: .....CARPE DIEM!

Your childhood sounds wonderful! Sadly I think your happy hunting grounds are paved over now. The last statistic I heard, several years ago, was that the Chicago suburbs were expanding half a mile a year. Thinking of all that rich fertile farm soil being taken out of food production forever makes me want to cry.

On the bright side, Illinois has the distinction of having four - count 'em, four! - consecutive governors serving time in prison. We're so proud.

I sincerely applaud your vision and determination to go where you knew you'd be happier. We're dreaming of retiring to the west, but whether we have the guts remains to be seen. I hope so.

Carpe Diem ("seize the carp", right?) has always been my favorite guide. As an obsessed photographer/painter, I look for - and find - much beauty every day. Even in Illinois.

Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom here!

Last edited by couch coyote; 06-05-2018 at 11:15 PM..

Old 06-06-2018, 03:24 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,528,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote lite View Post

on the bright side, illinois has the distinction of having four - count 'em, four! - consecutive governors serving time in prison. We're so proud. :d

...................🤔🤑my favorite is "blago"................

Carpe diem ("seize the carp", right?)
....................my favorite is blago🤑🤑

...carpe diem = sieze the day!

Old 06-08-2018, 05:30 PM

391 posts, read 205,433 times
Quote:
....................my favorite is blago🤑🤑

...carpe diem = sieze the day!
Blago, definitely! Arrogant, entitled crooks rub me the wrong way. I must be too judgemental . . .

'Seize the carp' was a lame attempt at humor. I better keep my day job.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:27 AM

15,613 posts, read 12,566,784 times
Quote:
I really do understand your feelings regarding living in the city vs out in the boonies......I hope that can change for you some time in the near future.
Regarding your comment about a whole flock of Sheep being slaughtered..........
........IIRC, about 8 or 9 years ago, a rancher outside of Dillion, MT had spent many,many years building up a very large registered flock of a very rare specie of Sheep. ... He had the original Foundation Bucks and Ewes flown over from the Perenyees Mountains in Spain..............IIRC, it had taken him over 25 yrs and lots of money to get his Flock up around 400.
.............Long story short...........

One night when he had over two Hundred of them corralled up for SHEARING over the next several days ,.....a pack of (7) wolves got into the enclosures and killed 220!!!!!!!!!!
Needless to say, rumor has it that the THREE "S" RULE was implemented in that area by all the locals and wolf problems were reduced to almost zero over the next several months!

I confess to having zero first hand experience with wolves. Lots with yotes, but their behavior patterns are much different from wolves.Any predator can and will go blood drunk when killing livestock. They just snap when so many animals are penned and can't get away. Its a tough life running stock on open range.

Predator loss is a gimme. If you have critters (be they sheep or cattle) in a range roundup pen and they are going to stay there for a bit it pays to have a guard on watch especially at night. It's interesting that the cats can stay out of sight the way the do given that there are a lot of them here. Natures Ninja. Guard on watch, fire going and they will still prowl close to the camp. We've found fresh sign disturbingly close in the morning after a guard shift and lit them up with a spotlight at night to close for comfort as well.

When you're on watch at the pens falling asleep is not advised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or