U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 03:12 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,309 posts, read 3,523,457 times

Advertisements

Well folks, this just happened.........

I am sitting here in the Liv Rm on the couch facing the TV watching the 1 o'clock news and right next to the TV is a 4' x 6.5' sliding glass door (closed) looking out on about 2.5 acres of open area of lush wild field grasses and wild flowers..
Behind this grass and wild flower area are about 7 acres of 40 to 50 Ponderosa Pines, 80 Aspen and all kinds of thick brush that ends up against the 40 foot wide creek that is my southern boundry.....lot is about 1190 x 515.

About 1:15 I look up and see 2 White Tail bucks grazing about 60 feet from the house...along with 3 wild Turkeys catching insects about 30 feet away.
All of a sudden (2) cow Elk come running (spooked) out of the wooded area with (2) brand new born calves right behind them. They see the deer and turkeys and evidently think this is a "safe-place".........they put on the brakes....stop about 60 feet from them and stand perfectly still for about a minute.............they then start grazing just like the deer.

So here I 've got: ....(2) 3to4 yr old deer in velvet....2 cow elk w/ 2 new born calves,.....and 3 turkeys, ......all within 250 feet of each other........AND a mated pair of Valley Quail nested under the deck!!!
First time I've ever (in 40 yrs) had this variety of wildlife in view from my living room ALL AT THE SAME TIME!

Life is good..........man, I love living here!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 03:16 PM

27,091 posts, read 7,263,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Well folks, this just happened.........

I am sitting here in the Liv Rm on the couch facing the TV watching the 1 o'clock news and right next to the TV is a 4' x 6.5' sliding glass door (closed) looking out on about 2.5 acres of open area of lush wild field grasses and wild flowers..
Behind this grass and wild flower area are about 7 acres of 40 to 50 Ponderosa Pines, 80 Aspen and all kinds of thick brush that ends up against the 40 foot wide creek that is my southern boundry.....lot is about 1190 x 515.

About 1:15 I look up and see 2 White Tail bucks grazing about 60 feet from the house...along with 3 wild Turkeys catching insects about 30 feet away.
All of a sudden (2) cow Elk come running (spooked) out of the wooded area with (2) brand new born calves right behind them. They see the deer and turkeys and evidently think this is a "safe-place".........they put on the brakes....stop about 60 feet from them and stand perfectly still for about a minute.............they then start grazing just like the deer.

So here I 've got: ....(2) 3to4 yr old deer in velvet....2 cow elk w/ 2 new born calves,.....and 3 turkeys, ......all within 250 feet of each other........AND a mated pair of Valley Quail nested under the deck!!!
First time I've ever (in 40 yrs) had this variety of wildlife in view from my living room ALL AT THE SAME TIME!

Life is good..........man, I love living here!!!!!

Yay! Happy for you....pics??

You do live in an area rich with wildlife....any one of those would have been a good viewing.

Would love to have seen the elk and babies...

Old 05-30-2018, 04:27 PM

4,000 posts, read 1,565,845 times
I know just what you mean, Griz. After living the first 66 yrs of my life in the relatively sterile Chicagoland (roaches, flies, pigeons, rats, dogs & cats; that's just about it for wildlife), I retired to 40 acres in WI. We have a valley running diagonally thru the middle, about 100 ft below the level of the house, with a half dozen smaller cuts forming a "fern leaf" topography. 30 ac of pasture; 10 ac oak/ hickory mature woods, with a small stand of pine.

Every day this spring as I go to do my barnyard chores at 6AM, I'm greeted with turkeys gobbling in the bush, the loud, staccato honking of a pair of sand cranes for several minutes before they take their daily, majestic, constitutional flight around the surrounding wooded hills and the tweeting of an armada of birds in the trees. We've counted more than 40 species at our feeders (filthy with goldfinches, Balt orioles, cardinals, red breasted grossbills and the occasional indigo bunting and scarlet tanager; pretty colorful array). Bald eagles occasionally do a fly-by and the turkey vultures regularly play, riding the air currents above the valley (I think they're keeping an eye on me. They must think I'm almost done.)

A half dozen deer routinely take their water each evening at the small, spring fed stream that starts at the high end of the valley. And each nite we're serenaded by a chorus of coyote.

We are indeed conscious of how lucky we are to be living this way now, and regularly say our devotions to MotherNature, showing our appreciation.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:36 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Yay! Happy for you....pics??

You do live in an area rich with wildlife....any one of those would have been a good viewing.

Would love to have seen the elk and babies...
Thank you for your comments.
I really have no justaphiable reason(s) for not taking pictures of the hundreds (maybe thousands) of wildlife situations I have experienced in the almost 40 years I have lived on this property, ..........except for the fact that I see wildlife EVERY DAY, in some fashion or specie, and it is so 'common place' to me, that I very seldom bother to go find the camera.......it's usually out in the car.
and I also should admit that I am probably a bit lazy being in my 87th yr., and don't have the level of enthusiasm I had when I first bought this property back in 1976. Also, I have hundreds and hundreds of slides taken in many, many years past...........Today was different in that all 4 specie were visible to me at the same time......
Before I forget, I should mention that your avatar picture of the Great Blue Heron is striking.......I have a
hand-painted GBH (about 16 inches tall) that I bought from a sculpture artist at the Annual Whooping Crane Festival (Feb 15-17. 2000) held in Port Aransas, TX... I have it displayed on the fireplace mantel in the Liv Rm.
I don't have them on my property, however a mile and a quarter down the lane to the corner with the County road, there is a swampy/pond area by my mailbox that attracts them, Sand Hill Cranes, Sandpipers and Snipe on occasion.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I know just what you mean, Griz. After living the first 66 yrs of my life in the relatively sterile Chicagoland (roaches, flies, pigeons, rats, dogs & cats; that's just about it for wildlife), I retired to 40 acres in WI. We have a valley running diagonally thru the middle, about 100 ft below the level of the house, with a half dozen smaller cuts forming a "fern leaf" topography. 30 ac of pasture; 10 ac oak/ hickory mature woods, with a small stand of pine.

Every day this spring as I go to do my barnyard chores at 6AM, I'm greeted with turkeys gobbling in the bush, the loud, staccato honking of a pair of sand cranes for several minutes before they take their daily, majestic, constitutional flight around the surrounding wooded hills and the tweeting of an armada of birds in the trees. We've counted more than 40 species at our feeders (filthy with goldfinches, Balt orioles, cardinals, red breasted grossbills and the occasional indigo bunting and scarlet tanager; pretty colorful array). Bald eagles occasionally do a fly-by and the turkey vultures regularly play, riding the air currents above the valley (I think they're keeping an eye on me. They must think I'm almost done.)

A half dozen deer routinely take their water each evening at the small, spring fed stream that starts at the high end of the valley. And each nite we're serenaded by a chorus of coyote.

We are indeed conscious of how lucky we are to be living this way now, and regularly say our devotions to MotherNature, showing our appreciation.
Yes Guido, as I have aged, I realize more every year how fortunate I am to live in a location that still has about 90% of the wildlife that was here when I first camped on these 14 acres back in 1975 and bought them in 1976.
The only specie that have really dropped off (as much as 90%) in numbers are the moose. ...The coyotes have been replaced by the wolves & the Mule Deer have been replaced by the White Tail......The Elk are still here but have been reduced in number by as much as 75% in some areas by a variety of factors including the wolves and grizzly bears.
There were no Quail or Turkeys until about 2000.....we now have plenty. The Ruffed Grouse have really dropped in numbers, where as the Sharp Tails, Pheasants and Huns are about the same as they were 25 yrs ago.
.....NOTE:...THE above statements are my opinions that apply to my immediate area of western Montana and may or may not apply to others areas in the state.
As you may remember I grew up on a small lake(Diamond) in a rural area of northern Lake County. IL until I went out of state to
college.......The only wild life I had were rabbits, squirrels, doves, pheasants, ducks and geese.......Still it was a great rural area to grow up in with a shotgun in one hand and a fishing rod in the other.
Your present location in central WI is a great area in the state... I have a friend who lives about 15 miles out side of Eau Claire and I visited him several years ago.......very nice rural area.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:49 AM

27,091 posts, read 7,263,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Thank you for your comments.
I really have no justaphiable reason(s) for not taking pictures of the hundreds (maybe thousands) of wildlife situations I have experienced in the almost 40 years I have lived on this property, ..........except for the fact that I see wildlife EVERY DAY, in some fashion or specie, and it is so 'common place' to me, that I very seldom bother to go find the camera.......it's usually out in the car.
and I also should admit that I am probably a bit lazy being in my 87th yr., and don't have the level of enthusiasm I had when I first bought this property back in 1976. Also, I have hundreds and hundreds of slides taken in many, many years past...........Today was different in that all 4 specie were visible to me at the same time......
Before I forget, I should mention that your avatar picture of the Great Blue Heron is striking.......I have a
hand-painted GBH (about 16 inches tall) that I bought from a sculpture artist at the Annual Whooping Crane Festival (Feb 15-17. 2000) held in Port Aransas, TX... I have it displayed on the fireplace mantel in the Liv Rm.
I don't have them on my property, however a mile and a quarter down the lane to the corner with the County road, there is a swampy/pond area by my mailbox that attracts them, Sand Hill Cranes, Sandpipers and Snipe on occasion.
I understand.....I don't even own a camera...

but I do have wildlife cameras around the property to see who's about when I'm not looking....

Old 05-31-2018, 10:00 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,726,519 times
Nice!

Old 06-03-2018, 11:17 AM

5,359 posts, read 3,795,244 times
I am living vicariously through the lens of your posts. It takes me right out of my (at times) boring, mundane surroundings and I imagine I am right there in the middle of it all.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:45 PM

391 posts, read 205,164 times
Wow! What a blessing, and it's wonderful that you're appreciative of your good fortune. I've only been to MT once so far, and was blown away by the beauty. I have no words to do it justice. Just . . . wow.

I'm in corn country in IL so have plenty (too many) deer. We have groundhogs, raccoons and possums, gophers, and turkey vultures. And skunks, lots of skunks! I'd be happy to send a pickup load of any of the above critters to anyone who's lacking . . .

Old 06-04-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote lite View Post
Wow! What a blessing, and it's wonderful that you're appreciative of your good fortune. I've only been to MT once so far, and was blown away by the beauty. I have no words to do it justice. Just . . . wow.

I'm in corn country in IL so have plenty (too many) deer. We have groundhogs, raccoons and possums, gophers, and turkey vultures. And skunks, lots of skunks! I'd be happy to send a pickup load of any of the above critters to anyone who's lacking . . .
I was born in Cook County, Il and raised in northern Lake County until the age of 19......Grew up as a kid in the rural area between Diamond Lake and Libertyville......my bird dog, a shotgun, rifle or fishing rod were my constant companions
I then worked my way through college and graduated in 1954.
In those years rabbits, squirrels, ducks, geese and fish were a frequent part of our menu at home.
After college and a few years of working in Illinois, .....I changed companies that I knew wanted someone to move to Colorado.........made the move and ultimately ended up in Montana.........Smartest thing I ever did was get out of IL.
Plan, research, make connections and always be aware that your every day life is more productive, ,fulfilling and enjoyable if you live where you can pursue your interests, hobbies and past-times.
It wasn't easy, ...but nothing in life that is worthwhile ever comes easy.
In my 87th year now, ..I still look every morning at the engraving that's on my kitchen table on my coffee mug: .....CARPE DIEM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or