U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 10:12 AM

24,083 posts, read 20,669,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
R U serious ! I got stung under the fingernail on my ring finger/left hand -- in the "old" days when I was taking dry sheets off the line outside. My finger swelled so much, not to mention the abject pain, I had to go to the ER where they cut my wedding ring off. I never hung out laundry again, and am totally scared now of stinging insects; they are nothing to take lightly. And I'm not going to a shrink to 'get over it' either.
WHERE you get stung also plays into how much pain you will feel. ANYTHING under a fingernail will hurt. Why do you think that is a form used for torture?? The fatter the place you get stung, the less pain it will cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 12:06 AM

923 posts, read 342,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
R U serious ! I got stung under the fingernail on my ring finger/left hand -- in the "old" days when I was taking dry sheets off the line outside. My finger swelled so much, not to mention the abject pain, I had to go to the ER where they cut my wedding ring off. I never hung out laundry again, and am totally scared now of stinging insects; they are nothing to take lightly. And I'm not going to a shrink to 'get over it' either.
loved your response. The OP isn't asking for therapy but just a human question to other humans. It's insulting to say you need therapy for such a common fear.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:13 AM

923 posts, read 342,437 times
The fear is not irrational. I strongly encourage you to be tested for allergic reaction. I've seen people do some pretty funny things when attacked by a single bee, like nearly drown in a swimming pool, rip off their shirt in public, and break glass from fighting the bee and there's even one where the parent leaving the kid to tend with a swarm.

They say bees don't attack, but bees are like bears. You can easily accidentally provoke an attack and that can be anything from getting between light and a hive. or god forbid if you accidentally kill a hornet, they'll camp outside your door and they seem to hold a grudge. I saw that one first hand.

So go get tested, and that will make you feel safer. Good luck!

Old 09-02-2018, 05:48 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,792,998 times
I also have a phobia for wasps and hornets.

It started when I was about 4 years old and was with my mother in a field. She had found a hazel nut tree and was picking them. Bored and tired, about 15 feet away from the tree, I sat on a stack of boards which disturbed a bumble bee nest inside. I had them all over me before my brother's friend scooped me up and ran with me. From that day on, my phobia was ingrained in my brain.

I really don't think there is anything you can do about a bee/hornet/wasp phobia... not so much bees, but those bald headed black hornets put a fear into me right to my core.

As for people (most people) who say don't move, don't run, don't swat at them, I'm sorry, but I think they are WRONG. I've witnessed two people (my mother and my husband) who got stung just sitting there doing nothing.

A friend of mine was out in a kayak about a mile from shore on a very calm day on Lake Superior. She watched something big flying straight at her. This huge a-hole of a hornet, totally unprovoked, landed on her arm and stung her for NO reason.

I've owned horses and they seem to attract wasps and guess what horses do? They swat at them with their tails, jiggle their hide in that location when one lands, or reach around and hit at them with their muzzles. Not once did I see a horse dash away which would be their normal reaction to pain. I'm not say that they've never been stung, but I've never witnessed it.

So yes, I act like a crazy lady when there are wasps and hornets around. I yell, scream, swat and run. We fish a lot out in our boat and I can't run from them, but I keep a hand towel close by and make a helicopter with it when a wasp/hornet comes by.

The last time I was stung was when I was a teenager. I had my arm out the car window and felt something hit my thumb. I brought my arm in a short time later and when I went to rest my elbow on the armrest, he nailed me. I just about jumped across the seat into my mom's lap to get away from that devil. It hurt for hours. The next morning my whole elbow was red and swollen. I keep Benadryl on hand just in case I have a worse reaction if I ever get stung again.

Last edited by gouligann; 09-02-2018 at 06:38 AM..

Old 06-25-2020, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 48 times
Hey! So I totally understand how you feel about hornets as I have suffered from this fear for a long time.
It’s actually embarrassing as none of my friends or family have ever had the same issue. I would love to help you since I tried many different things and none worked as well as this YouTube I found. Granted, it’s for bees and wasps, but it worked super well!

Here is that link >>> [url]https://tii.ai/51WtS9h[/url]

Click on the link above and when you get to the landing page, click where it says I am not a robot’ and then you will be sent to the YouTube video that will have the steps you can take to help you with your fear.
The best part is you don’t need to buy anything just watch the video and follow the advice and tips it gives you.
I hope it helps, all the best!

Old 06-25-2020, 06:49 PM

1,142 posts, read 225,687 times
You mean the killer bees and murder hornets.... Gotta love the people that come up with these names.

Unless you have violent reaction to their venom and you swell up where you cant breathe, sting hurts but wont kill you.

I swear last couple years, other than ticks and mosquitoes, noticed what seems like big decline in insects of all kinds. Its oddly quiet summer nights now. Used to be quite lot night noise, least in rural areas.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:04 PM

8,804 posts, read 4,851,992 times
I am allergic to bee venom, but I am not afraid of bees. We use them for pollination here on our farm. I am more afraid of the side effects of the epinephrine that I have to shoot into my thigh should I get stung. That stuff... is no joke!

Old 06-25-2020, 09:24 PM

7,285 posts, read 2,387,136 times
Well I can assure you no one wants to be near a bee or a wasp, so a healthy fear is totally natural.

But if it’s disrupting your personal life then it’s time to seek professional help.

Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM

13,022 posts, read 14,474,140 times
I can't really speak for extreme phobias...

But I think it helps when you learn to respect that bees or other insects (animals, people, everything) were created as life on Earth with as much detail and design as we are. They have a purpose, and they really just want to be left alone and go about their daily business the same way we do. They have families to feed, too!

Old Today, 06:25 PM

28,001 posts, read 26,679,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Well I can assure you no one wants to be near a bee or a wasp, so a healthy fear is totally natural.

But if it’s disrupting your personal life then it’s time to seek professional help.
I like to be near bees. They're fascinating to watch. I'm not as enthusiastic about wasps and hornets, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature