U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 09:22 PM

911 posts, read 358,109 times

Advertisements

On a worldwide scale IQ levels are dropping, and animals are smart enough to realize this. Lions, tigers, and bears...
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...o-avoid-people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 12:53 PM

2,287 posts, read 1,166,074 times
Various impacts of recreational acticities on wildlife have been known for decades, and switching to night activity is just one effect of many. Maybe now more people will take notice, but I doubt it. I've been preaching the impacts of recreation on wildlife (both vertebrate and invertebrate) for a long time, but it falls on deaf ears and is largely ignored by "environmentalists" in favor of pro-recreation industry stance. After all, that's who pays for the ads in their magazines and its counter-intuitive and just plain unpopular if not heretical to suggest that getting out to enjoy the wilds can actually harm it.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:17 PM

4,108 posts, read 1,599,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
... just plain unpopular if not heretical to suggest that getting out to enjoy the wilds can actually harm it.

Marked nature trails in public forest reserves often admonish hikers not to leave the trails--- besides trampling smaller vegetation & invertebrate life, walking on a tree's root area can cause serious injury (trees don't really want to be hugged.)

Given that loss of natural habitat to human encroachment is the biggest problem facing MotherNature, I often wonder who's doing more harm to the environment-- city dwellers or those who live in rural areas? Maybe the natural world would really be better off if we all concentrated our activities in towns.

In regards the original post-- In grammar school in the 50s, I remember reading that lions had always been diurnal hunters until the advent of Europeans on the African continent in the 19th century. Evolution at work-- lions with diurnal habits were hunted heavily. Lions with nocturnal habits were more likely to survive and pass along their genes. Now most lions are nocturnal.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:32 PM

7,290 posts, read 3,260,931 times
I thought so.

I saw something a decade ago; something that is not supposed to be here anymore. I was wondering why the reports on the sightings were so infrequent (& have never been taken seriously by the scientific community) because this creature was massive.

Then I realized; it was the middle of the night.

I live in an area classified as one of the largest urban-wildland interfaces in the country & it is also one that had a firestorm from a forest fire that raced down the sides of the mountains & into city limits, 6 years ago.

Our forest rehab has been a little atypical: Finally this year some green vegetation but the burnt tree trunks that were expected to fall 2 years ago are still standing.

We still have large populations of “urban wildlife” & I’ve noticed that recently; deer & rabbits are joining the skunks & raccoons at night. I have noticed the birds are nesting later in the evening than normal. Owls still hunting at 8am? Even the insect behavior seems different, although that is likely determined by the birds.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:29 AM

1,075 posts, read 861,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

We still have large populations of “urban wildlife” & I’ve noticed that recently; deer & rabbits are joining the skunks & raccoons at night. I have noticed the birds are nesting later in the evening than normal. Owls still hunting at 8am? Even the insect behavior seems different, although that is likely determined by the birds.

I've noticed the opposite in my city. Animals that were once afraid of people have almost no fear. It's easy to hit a dear with a baseball as they unabashedly raid the garden a few feet from where you stand. They don't even consider moving out of the street as your car approaches. I've also had owls perched on the basketball goal before dusk that show no fear as I stood just a few feet below. If your kid has a bag of popcorn at the park, expect a Canadian goose to approach (and give chase if the demands for food aren't met).

Old 06-18-2018, 08:52 AM

13,325 posts, read 6,328,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I've noticed the opposite in my city. Animals that were once afraid of people have almost no fear. It's easy to hit a dear with a baseball as they unabashedly raid the garden a few feet from where you stand. They don't even consider moving out of the street as your car approaches. I've also had owls perched on the basketball goal before dusk that show no fear as I stood just a few feet below. If your kid has a bag of popcorn at the park, expect a Canadian goose to approach (and give chase if the demands for food aren't met).
It's not just a day and night change either as you stated. I read that rattle snakes in some areas no longer rattle to give a warning and some are losing the ability to rattle all together. This makes sense since those that rattle are the ones most likely to be found and killed by people. Those that don't rattle live on to reproduce.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:11 AM

3,721 posts, read 2,301,662 times
not around here they aren't. saw 7 Red Deer on the edge of a woodland on 2 different days and this was around 12noon not early morning, and I have seen them there before its a favourite location.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:55 AM

5,081 posts, read 13,414,366 times
When we moved here about ten years ago, the raccoons were nocturnal.

But they adjusted their schedule so they could come during the day when they knew we were home.

If there is no food out, they peek in the windows to see where we are.

We had one who would get a rock from the yard and use it to knock on the glass door.

But they don't only come to eat. When it's sunny they sleep on the deck with the cats.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:48 AM

3,256 posts, read 2,751,923 times
My local raccoons are out there at 9:30am, 1pm, 4pm, etc.. raiding the birdfeeders. ugh. They know I drag them down at nightfall now.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:33 AM

8,333 posts, read 1,623,514 times
I have noticed behavior changes as well with our Peregrines. We rarely see them flying high and then diving, they know simply fly straight and fast and catch smaller birds.

In Rome I have heard they now fly more at night and attack upwards to take starlings trying to roost, and pigeons. But with pigeons they are relying on people leaving waste food when they go out at night, which attracts the pigeons, and then the Peregrines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or