U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 01:11 PM

7,295 posts, read 8,988,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I know they've been confirmed in parts of the state, but didn't think they were around here.
Since they've been confirmed in Tennessee it's entirely possible that they're in your area, too. Cougars can travel an incredible distance. The longest trek on record is of a Cougar that went through Michigan's Upper Peninsula on its way from South Dakota to Connecticut. Unfortunately, it was killed by a car in Connecticut.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...76Q5ZE20110727
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 02:51 PM

16,404 posts, read 13,175,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Since they've been confirmed in Tennessee it's entirely possible that they're in your area, too. Cougars can travel an incredible distance. The longest trek on record is of a Cougar that went through Michigan's Upper Peninsula on its way from South Dakota to Connecticut. Unfortunately, it was killed by a car in Connecticut.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...76Q5ZE20110727

I think that we spotted that lion on it's way to Connecticut. Considering how much time had elapsed from out sighting until it was killed on the Connecticut roads; it very easily could have been the same cat - but I will never know. Some had speculated that that cat taken a northern route; but that would have involved crossing the St. Lawrence Seaway and I would think that might not happen.

But it is irrelevant now. My Game Commission claims that there are none in PA and they do have the facts on their side. They do not have one carcass. with our very busy roads it is a amazing that one has never been killed in PA. But there is always tomorrow and who knows!

Old 06-25-2018, 04:31 PM

7,295 posts, read 8,988,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
But it is irrelevant now. My Game Commission claims that there are none in PA and they do have the facts on their side. They do not have one carcass. with our very busy roads it is a amazing that one has never been killed in PA. But there is always tomorrow and who knows!
I wouldn't consider the lack of a roadkill carcass as being definitive. Michigan has had several sightings over the years--in both the Upper and Lower Peninsula--and there have been a number of Cougars documented on trail cams. Although there may have been a roadkill many years ago (I couldn't find evidence of any after a quick online search), there have been no roadkill that I'm aware of in recent years.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:45 PM

1,566 posts, read 1,239,568 times
Most black panther reports turn out to be house cats. The remainder are probably cryptids.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:46 PM

16,404 posts, read 13,175,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I wouldn't consider the lack of a roadkill carcass as being definitive. Michigan has had several sightings over the years--in both the Upper and Lower Peninsula--and there have been a number of Cougars documented on trail cams. Although there may have been a roadkill many years ago (I couldn't find evidence of any after a quick online search), there have been no roadkill that I'm aware of in recent years.

We got within 20 yards of the animal chasing it down a dirt road in our pickup at about 35 mph. As soon as we got home I called our Game Commission with the hope that they would come out and document our encounter. But they were not interested. Part of that is because they are understaffed in the summer; when there is no hunting season. As a matter of fact, in my area, they have an office that covers three counties. I do admit that it would have been hard to document even if they came out. The road was dry and dusty and maybe we rode over the tracks chasing the cat.

To our Game Commission PA mountain lions are like Big Foot. Give them the carcass, let them test it, and then they might believe. Of course there is a danger in this. When I reported our sighting and they did not believe me; I asked them if it was OK to shoot it the next time I encountered the lion. They said absolutely NO - it was an endangered species. I asked how it could be endangered if it did not exist? Thinking over who I was talking to I withdrew my question and promised never to shoot one, at least with a gun, if I ever encountered one again. I never did see another one.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:43 AM

5,989 posts, read 4,177,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Most black panther reports turn out to be house cats. The remainder are probably cryptids.
About 15 years ago, in South Florida, a large animal crossed the road in front of me at night. It was about the size of a German Shepard, had a long tail, Was solid black . I presumed it was some type of cat. Four of us us saw it and we all agreed on its description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or