U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 08:24 AM

8,007 posts, read 4,499,970 times

Advertisements

While driving home yesterday in rural Tennessee, a large cat crossed the road. At first I thought coyote, but quickly realized it was definitely a cat. Then I thought perhaps bobcat since I've seen several of those around here. Until it turned sideways and I saw the long tail.

The only thing that fits what I saw would be a yearling cougar, yet we're not supposed to have them in this part of Tennessee. Either that or the dag gum biggest cat that anyone ever saw. I know they've been confirmed in parts of the state, but didn't think they were around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 03:45 PM

10,913 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Did it have any markings or spots? If so, there's a chance some careless owner's hybrid savannah or Bengal cat got loose. Cougars are incredibly secretive and survive in many places no one expects. A juvenile cougar would show some spotting too.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:42 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,809,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
While driving home yesterday in rural Tennessee, a large cat crossed the road. At first I thought coyote, but quickly realized it was definitely a cat. Then I thought perhaps bobcat since I've seen several of those around here. Until it turned sideways and I saw the long tail.

The only thing that fits what I saw would be a yearling cougar, yet we're not supposed to have them in this part of Tennessee. Either that or the dag gum biggest cat that anyone ever saw. I know they've been confirmed in parts of the state, but didn't think they were around here.

What color was it? I saw a black panther just outside Midland Michigan about 20 years ago. It was no further away from me than just a few hundred feet, so I guarantee you I'm not mistaken. There's no way a black panther should exist around here either, yet I saw one... I only wish I had a camera with me back then.

Google "Phantom Cat" or "Ghost Cat" and read.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:27 PM

16,424 posts, read 13,191,282 times
My wife and I spotted a large tan mountain lion in PA many years ago. I reported it on page three of this CD thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/north...ynx-oh-my.html. I also reported it to our Game Commission that thought I was drinking! I guess it was easier than coming out to verify our sighting!

Old 06-20-2018, 03:09 PM

4,059 posts, read 1,584,325 times
Rogue males definitely get around, having run out of territory out west.

We have sightings every year or two here in WI, and a few yrs ago one made it into the middle of Chicago:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...1&&FORM=VRDGAR

Old 06-24-2018, 06:56 AM

13,293 posts, read 6,303,769 times
Cougars are out there even if they are not confirmed by local authorities. Every once in a while, one gets hit by a car and that's all you need to know that they exist but are rarely seen in some states.
Black panthers are a whole other matter. A black panther has to be either a black jaguar or leopard escaped from someones private home.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:20 AM

8,007 posts, read 4,499,970 times
I did make a report to the state and got a "Thank you for your time" response.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:54 PM

12,713 posts, read 4,063,452 times
Indeed, there have been confirmed sightings in TN:
https://www.tn.gov/twra/wildlife/mam...e/cougars.html

Old 06-24-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
It only makes sense that they are expanding their territory. There's plenty of deer to eat and many of these states have large forested areas where they can remain undetected for a long time since they generally go out of their way not to mix with people.
Unless someone goes out with hound dogs and tracks them down, people in general are not going to see them.

Last edited by marino760; 06-24-2018 at 03:47 PM..

Old 06-25-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Also I forgot to add that the article you posted is wrong in stating cougars are the largest cats in North America. The Jaguar is a good bit larger than a cougar and is also native and still exists in parts of North America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or