U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 08:23 PM

27,091 posts, read 7,318,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Loss of habitat. Period.

That's what I was thinking...
and why it's upsetting not to see butterflies, bees etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 06:24 AM

7,538 posts, read 4,300,081 times
Southern MN. I surreptitiously sowed a few wild milkweed next to the fence a couple of years ago. No luck. Same with butterfly weed. But then this year a few showed up.

I can't tell Mother Nature what to do. When she plants they grow; when I plant, not so much.

I begged Dh to let them stay and he's only pulled one so far. They're in his tomato patch. Little trespassers.
Now if it would just stop drizzling I could start checking them.

We went out to the State park to see the new baby buffalo last week and the air smelled so wonderful I had to pick a sprig and bring it home to identify. Turns out it's a variety of milkweed I didn't know. I checked the milkweed out there but didn't see any evidence of the larvae.

My new delightfully scented friend, whorled milkweed.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:16 AM

15,570 posts, read 13,730,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

Has anyone had a large no. of butterflies in your garden this year?

My butterfly bush has numerous blooms but one butterfly (that I've seen) so far.

Hoping we have not killed them off.
Our butterfly and bee population has also dwindled and yes we are killing them all off. and if they die so do we... this is what is being overlooked with pesticides use..

Old 06-22-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Our butterfly and bee population has also dwindled and yes we are killing them all off. and if they die so do we... this is what is being overlooked with pesticides use..
Yes, and loss of habitat. It hurts my heart what we've done to our natural world.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:44 AM

4,080 posts, read 1,594,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post

Not quite time to start wringing our hands. Pesticides are not the problem they have been accused of being compared to habitat loss.

Habitat loss is a big problem, but fragmentation of habitat may actually have a bigger effect in the real world. Keep in mind that 50% of the world's population lives within 50 miles of an ocean shore. There's a heckuvalot of space left over after we sterilize our own home areas, but much of that is in patches that are not contiguous, limiting a population's ability to travel about, spread their seeds, etc.

A big advantage of the notorious devil glyphosate is that it has a short half-life (ie- it's quickly degraded and rendered harmless), and don't forget, it's a herbicide and doesn't have much effect on animal enzyme systems.

The pesticides are usually neurotoxic agents and don't harm plants (plants don't have neuros to toxify)) and most row crops on which they are used are wind/self pollinated and not attractive to pollinator insects, therefore the exposure to those agents is limited.

BTW- a recent study from Germany that said insect populations are down 75% has been followed up with another study that blames light pollution even more than poison or habitat loss: artificial lighting is disrupting the normal diurnal/nocturnal signals for mating, feeding, migrating.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:27 PM

3,192 posts, read 2,175,738 times
We have significant butterfly habitat on my property complete with everything they like....not seeing them this year. Last year we had insane numbers.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
We have significant butterfly habitat on my property complete with everything they like....not seeing them this year. Last year we had insane numbers.
it's so disturbing....

Old 06-23-2018, 09:20 AM

2,217 posts, read 1,407,132 times
Nothing here either.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:37 AM

4,080 posts, read 1,594,138 times
Responders here show conditions seem to be variable across the country.. We're having a typically good year for butterflies here, but then, we are rural- mostly forests & pasture, not much row cropping. And not much new building.

I wonder how much of that variability is due to local changes in land use vs natural population fluctuations? Last time the 17 yr cicada has an outbreak here (2007) butterfly populations seemed to skyrocket as the birds had "easy pickin's" on the cicadas and left the caterpillars alone (for example).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or