U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 12:01 PM

15,670 posts, read 12,585,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Why, you old softie...

I happen to agree with you. I don't see the "sport" in using a high power sight & rifle to plug a defenseless creature from 1000m away. Now, if the guy had stalked it, confronted it face to face, wrestled with it and choked it to death like Tarzan, then maybe I'd be impressed.

Tarzan used his Fathers hunting knife in contests with the big cats. Numa, Sheeta, Sabor. A Jag would be Sheeta in the Mangani language I think. Haha. Just being cheeky. Though in this case I happen to agree with you. Such a rare animal seen this far North. Shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 09:12 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,165,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
As much as I love jaguars the game is up unless they're reintroduced. One or two strays is not a breeding population. Even if they find each other to breed there would not be any genetic diversity.

That was why wolves needed to be reintroduced to Yellowstone. Stray or dispersing animals from Canada did not make a viable population, even with the pre-reintroduction abundance of ungulate prey.
The entire population of thousands in MI and WI came from dispersers from MN.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:07 AM

19,969 posts, read 7,843,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
The entire population of thousands in MI and WI came from dispersers from MN.
Minnesota and Canada. And that's a much thicker migration channel than the spine of the Rockies.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Minnesota and Canada. And that's a much thicker migration channel than the spine of the Rockies.

I dont think Canada can be proven to have contributed many wolves at all. There were occasional crossings into the UP, but not many. And the Rockies are much more remote and inaccessible and roadless, and I'm not sure how you can say MN-WI has a thicker migration channel. Most of those MI-WI wolves ancestors came through an area no more than about 70 miles wide into WI, an area riddled with roads and highways which means easy access for hunters/poachers/trappers.

If left alone, the Rockies would have repopulated itself by now. Maybe not to the same numbers, but it would be well on its way.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:47 AM

19,969 posts, read 7,843,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I dont think Canada can be proven to have contributed many wolves at all. There were occasional crossings into the UP, but not many. And the Rockies are much more remote and inaccessible and roadless, and I'm not sure how you can say MN-WI has a thicker migration channel. Most of those MI-WI wolves ancestors came through an area no more than about 70 miles wide into WI, an area riddled with roads and highways which means easy access for hunters/poachers/trappers.

If left alone, the Rockies would have repopulated itself by now. Maybe not to the same numbers, but it would be well on its way.
The hunting, or "SSS" (shoot, shovel and shut up) population in the Rockies is greater than in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. And even though the Rockies look wide, rugged mountains actually offer fewer migration opportunities. Much of the land is quite steep and not especially rich in game.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:52 PM

That's why it would have taken a while longer. But they would have come back, and reports/sightings were increasing when the reintroductions began and made it a moot point. Anti-wolf sentiment is even stronger because of the reintroductions than it was before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature