Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 12:37 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

I like seagulls. When I lived in St. Petersburg FL. many years ago, I would buy french fries at the McDonald's across the street from the beach and sit outside at the table, holding the fries overhead. It wouldn't be long before seagulls would hover over me and take the fries from my hand. I got nipped on the finger sometimes, but it was fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 01:06 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
The ones along the NC coast nest on uninhabited barrier islands where you can see dozens and dozens late in the evening, or back in the marshes.

I've never seen a baby gull either, except on film.

They must grow to juvenile size quickly so they can search for food and learn to fly before late autumn and winter. Most of the juveniles have brownish feathers.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:30 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Sorry it's been so long since I posted. The heat here is ridiculous. The only times I really get to see the chicks is early morning before the sun swings round and then they really aren't doing anything. And I still haven't gotten a cord for my camera - at $20, I think I'll have to wait till the August 1st on that one.

We're supposed to have 3 or 4 more insanely hot (for this area anyway) days and then when it cools down, I can make some more observations.

Right now I can tell you that the chicks have grown - a lot! They're almost as big as their parents right now. I saw the two on the top roof flap their wings for the first time this morning. They can't fly, but they can augment running across the top of the building with a little wing power.

I haven't seen the chick on the lower roof for about a week now, but as I said, it's been hot and when it's hot, they stay in the shade. With their color, they sort of blend into the shadows and there's lots of machinery on that roof. I'll keep an eye out for him, though.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the update, I was wondering

Glad they are growing and seem well, strengthening those wings, muscles etc.

Yeah, hope your hot days are almost over....it can be miserable....you at least can look forward to cooler air coming in fall.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:39 AM

OK, the little chick on the lower building is still there. I saw him yesterday and again today. He's growing like a weed, so Mama is taking good care of him. In the past, the adult gulls have made it a point to sit on the wall surrounding the roof while watching their chicks. But I've noticed this year, at least one gull is always on the edge of the building overlooking the lower roof. So they are watching.

I do know they can recognize the cries of their chicks, too. As I said, every building around here has a gull nest on it. One year while the chicks were learning to fly, one of them managed to fly onto the lower roof where the baby chick is now. He came from a nest from somewhere else and apparently couldn't figure out how to fly back home.

Late that evening we had a storm with a ton of rain. I could hear the little chick calling (their "MOM!" cries are very distinctive) and I looked out the window and there he was, in the pouring rain, calling for his mom. I felt so sorry for him, but in less than 30 seconds, Mom had flown over and was fussing over him. I never did find out what nest he came from and the next day he was able to spread his wings and fly off.

Today I got some more pics of the three chicks. It's a finally cooler and overcast YAY!, so naturally, they're now huddled out of the wind. There's no winning with the weather here! It's overcast, too, so this afternoon maybe I can get some more pics of them. I plan to go down to Best Buy on Thursday or Friday when I go running around to pay Comcast and other bills, so I can get a cord to upload pics.

Our building is also having the plaster around the windows repainted, starting this week. So you may also get treated to pics of painters who are right outside my window as well.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 07-31-2018 at 10:49 AM..

Old 07-31-2018, 12:05 PM

I'd be sad if I saw a crying chick in the rain...glad Mom showed up!

Old 07-31-2018, 01:30 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Thanks for clearing this up! I always wondered where seagulls nest, and had never seen a baby. Nor do I ever see them eat anything but human cast-offs. Do they dive-bomb the waves for fish? Never seen that.

We have NONE here, surprisingly. They might like the millions of little red crabs that patrol the sand, but get preyed on by nothing. We only have frigate birds that never land. And vultures, for clean-up! Kinda miss the ubiquitous sea gull.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:03 PM

They eat anything. We have signs all over the place saying to not feed the gulls, but the tourists ignore them (I do, too). In the summer, the gulls follow the ferries back and forth from Seattle. If I was sitting inside, I could look out the window and see a whole flock flying right next to me, catching the popcorn people were throwing off the top deck for them.

One nice thing about riding the ferries - do it often enough and you see just about everything. Besides the seagulls, I've seen seals in the water (and they're always sitting on the buoys on nice days), jellyfish in the water at the terminals, and even a couple orca pods. The ferry captains can see a pod on radar and sometimes will idle the ferry or sort of maneuver a little closer so people can see them. Usually they do this on days when I really needed to be at work on time.

For some reason, they're screaming now as I type this and I don't know why. I know they look for food in the early mornings, but maybe they're looking now, too, since the chicks have to be fed more. Yesterday it cleared up and got hot, so I didn't bother to open my blinds again, but we are now entering a week of cooler weather, so hopefully I will have more info and more pics.

By the way, their nests really don't seem to be very well made, just a few sticks and stuff thrown down in a corner of the roof. But it's hard to tell from where I'm at, so maybe the nest are larger.

I wish I had found this forum when the raccoons were showing up at my old place where I live. I watched Mama bring up two litters and one of her kits from the first litter brought up her two kits while I was living there. I got lots of videos and pictures of them over the four years I lived there. If anyone is interested, they're on Photobucket. I used to turn my hose on in the yard and I would have four kits playing in the water. And playing with my hose sprayer. They played with that like a dog plays with a toy.

To see those pics, you just have to go to photobucket.com/rodentraiser and then scroll down to the Raccoons folder. I'd upload those pics here, but PB wants to charge me for my accessing my own photos now.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:15 PM

Good update...getting bigger so needing more food! Mom is nearing exhaustion.

You have a great raccoon story, I'll look at your photos if I can figure out photobucket. Watching them in the sprinkler must have been a real treat.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:58 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
They eat anything. We have signs all over the place saying to not feed the gulls, but the tourists ignore them (I do, too). In the summer, the gulls follow the ferries back and forth from Seattle. If I was sitting inside, I could look out the window and see a whole flock flying right next to me, catching the popcorn people were throwing off the top deck for them.

One nice thing about riding the ferries - do it often enough and you see just about everything. Besides the seagulls, I've seen seals in the water (and they're always sitting on the buoys on nice days), jellyfish in the water at the terminals, and even a couple orca pods. The ferry captains can see a pod on radar and sometimes will idle the ferry or sort of maneuver a little closer so people can see them. Usually they do this on days when I really needed to be at work on time.

For some reason, they're screaming now as I type this and I don't know why. I know they look for food in the early mornings, but maybe they're looking now, too, since the chicks have to be fed more. Yesterday it cleared up and got hot, so I didn't bother to open my blinds again, but we are now entering a week of cooler weather, so hopefully I will have more info and more pics.

By the way, their nests really don't seem to be very well made, just a few sticks and stuff thrown down in a corner of the roof. But it's hard to tell from where I'm at, so maybe the nest are larger.

I wish I had found this forum when the raccoons were showing up at my old place where I live. I watched Mama bring up two litters and one of her kits from the first litter brought up her two kits while I was living there. I got lots of videos and pictures of them over the four years I lived there. If anyone is interested, they're on Photobucket. I used to turn my hose on in the yard and I would have four kits playing in the water. And playing with my hose sprayer. They played with that like a dog plays with a toy.

To see those pics, you just have to go to photobucket.com/rodentraiser and then scroll down to the Raccoons folder. I'd upload those pics here, but PB wants to charge me for my accessing my own photos now.
cute lil guys Raccoons by Kelly S | Photobucket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature