Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 06:39 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

A tree service worker in the north Georgia city of Canton was working when two uninvited guests suddenly slithered out of a woodpile he was sorting through, the Tribune & Ledger reported. That wouldn’t be too surprising on its own. Snakes love to hide in woodpiles and other dark, cool crevices, and that includes the two copperheads who crawled out from the lumber.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/b480cd5...-found-in.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 07:04 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Read the average length of a copperhead is 3ft., 4ft. has been seen, and the record length is 53 inches...

Looks real to me but way above the average length and width.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:19 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
that's huge. the TX record is 52 inches so it could be real..

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/n...ke-1619584.php

Old 07-27-2018, 08:19 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
Pretty freakin' huge. We frequently get copperheads around here but not one ever looked even near that big. Wow.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:00 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
I don't think it's big. It's a hunter's photo trick. Those guys have used a very common photography trick used by hunters that is designed to make any kind of trophy look much bigger than it actually is. The snake is being held up quite close to the camera on the extreme end of a very long stick so that the man is at more of a distance away from the camera than the snake which is right in front of the camera. That makes the animal close to the camera look a lot bigger than it really is in proportion to the size of the man holding it and standing further away and exactly behind it so the animal's body blocks the view of most of the human's body and supporting arm. If the man was holding the snake in his hands closer to his body instead of away on a stick, even if it was at arm's length from his body, you would see a much smaller looking snake.

Another thing is if the snake was actually as big as it looks in the picture that little fellow wouldn't be able to hold the weight of it plus a big stick horizontally with one hand like that, it would be far too heavy. A big pregnant snake as big as it looks in the photo would be extremely weighty. But the man holding the snake is standing upright, not shifting and compensating to the left to balance the weight in his right hand, and he shows no physical strain in his body, no effort shown to hold up the snake and he doesn't even have very good muscles either, he's kind of scrawny and pudgy in the arms and belly.

But they tried to pass it off and almost succeeded, right.

A lot of big game trophy hunters (especially bear and wild hog hunters) use the same photo trick of squatting or standing well back behind their kills to make the dead animal in front of them look a lot bigger and more impressive than it really is.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:43 AM

3,507 posts, read 764,084 times
ha !! if that guy is 5 feet tall then that snake is 9 feet long .. should never have killed it though ..

Old 07-30-2018, 09:26 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Used to kill every rattler I came across. I've gotten a bit less hard in my older age. I don't think I would kill a snake (a native one) that big. He would be an OLD timer if he was that huge. Now the boa/python in Florida....I would happily kill every one I could. Invasive species are a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature