Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 10:54 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

I know of one study that proved wild crows recognize different human faces and remember them for a very long time.

Dogs, cats, horses, cattle, pigs definitely recognize one person from another. Human facial expressions matter to dogs, horses, and pigs that are treated like pets. Cats probably recognize expressions, but don't much care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 11:34 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Back when I was still working, my dog would start sitting at the front door looking out and watching for me to drive up the driveway just about 20 minutes before I usually showed up. I know she did this because she was habituated to the schedule of our days, not because she knew I was on my way home from my job. But she knew there was a pretty specific schedule, which indicates something.

I tried to teach her to put the kettle on in anticipation of my arrival... ;-)

my dog would wait in the hallway about ten minute before bed time, and then take off running to the bed if you moved, she knew what time bed time was

Old 09-29-2018, 01:05 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
my dog would wait in the hallway about ten minute before bed time, and then take off running to the bed if you moved, she knew what time bed time was
Dogs do seem to know time. At my bedtime, Dante gets on the couch with DH. If I don't go to bed at my usual time he whines at me, and will eventually just crawl up in our laps. It would be cuter if he were not 90 lbs.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-29-2018, 01:49 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Dogs are an easy case. They've evolved to the extent that we replace the alpha wolf in their "pack." As pack animals that's what dogs do. And what's been bred out of (most of) them is the urge to challenge the alpha male as they age. The dogs, as they were undergoing domestication, that did challenge up were either killed or driven from the campground. So they ones that were allowed to stay were more deferential, and eventually learned how to get petted, and to play with people.

With cats, I have no clue. Does anyone?

Desmond Morris, an authority on animal behavior wrote The Naked Ape ~45 y/a. He goes into the story of the domestication of dogs and makes the case that our two species co-evolved, helping to explain how puny Man with no fangs or claws was able to survive in "the jungle."

He notes that, if you only pay attention to the sound of our speech and ignore the words themselves, we basically speak "dog" with a perfect accent. We growl in anger, we yelp & dance in happiness, we squeak out questions and we cry and whine just like dogs. Like dogs, we bluster when confronted, or we crawl off with tail between ours legs when our feelings are hurt. When we think we hear a bump in the night, we utter a little "what's that?" just like dogs give that little grunt when alerted to an unknown sound.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Animals don't think anything about humans. Animals are influenced by instinct much more than they are by what we would call judgment. Humans are just another species to animals. Live, work, eat, procreate around the presence of humans.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:35 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Animals don't think anything about humans. Animals are influenced by instinct much more than they are by what we would call judgment. Humans are just another species to animals. Live, work, eat, procreate around the presence of humans.
What a preposterous statement. We have brains. Dogs have brains. Brains enable us to have thoughts.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:58 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeZoo View Post
I know bluejays sometimes sit outside my window and yell at me until I bring out some bird seed or stale bread.
LOL!! They Know what side their bread is buttered on!! Showing kindness and being provider.. They will expect it>> expect it until your source STOPS BUT sure docile back to check i tout LOL ( not to mention share twitch their friends !!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I know domesticated dogs recognize people (either by site or by scent), and they are attuned to facial expressions (and body movements). Our dogs always have their eyes on us to see what's going on. If I put on a bathing suit....... they know we are going to the beach and act accordingly.

I think animals in the wild view people as "Can I eat it?" or "Can it eat me?"
Domesticated animals do bond with owners.. and learn behaviour patterns. BUT, also learn thru whatever energy they project too. That's why some domesticated animals become more aggressive! IF THEY Sense/Feel owner is SCARED/Afraid! They will become more aggressive and protective!!

Sure pets or animals recognize SAFE energy.. Even I befriended a "OLDER Feral CAT " who moved in next door! He use to visit all the time and felt comfortable in my space..I just spoke to him .. Course he would just LOOK/Stare at first.. BUT never ran away unless outside noises spooked him!

Point is, ALL animals not only become aware and connect on smell/visual.. BUT one's energy gets absorbed too.. THEY sense positive and Negative and will always default to running away if unsure!

I've always had away with animals in general! I've also spent a longtime learning how toddle with wildlife like bears or wolves so feel comfortable . Sorry, Sharks and Marine life NOT So Much

Old 09-29-2018, 07:52 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I don't know if human facial expressions mean a thing to fish, but fish can recognize different persons. At least pet fish can.

My goldfish would follow me around, at least as far as the limits of their tank. They would ignore other people. It was a bit of a family joke about me exercising the gold fish. They would see me coming and all rush to the end of the tank, and then they would all follow me as I walked past them. They would also come to me when I called them.

They never followed anyone else.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:26 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
I’m pretty sure my cat thinks that most humans, myself included; have little intelligence. Dogs don’t seem to rate highly with him either & I know for a fact he doesn’t like my singing.

My dog is a herder (Aussie) & she seems to think that all actions, reactions & movements in general; are to be directed by her. If it moves; it’s under her domain.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:11 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know if human facial expressions mean a thing to fish, but fish can recognize different persons. At least pet fish can.

My goldfish would follow me around, at least as far as the limits of their tank. They would ignore other people. It was a bit of a family joke about me exercising the gold fish. They would see me coming and all rush to the end of the tank, and then they would all follow me as I walked past them. They would also come to me when I called them.

They never followed anyone else.
Let me guess - you were the only one that fed them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature