Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2018, 04:57 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Tourist loses her life in Zimbabwe's Mana Pools National Park.

She Tried to Get a Photo of the Elephant. It Killed Her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 06:30 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Tourist loses her life in Zimbabwe's Mana Pools National Park.

She Tried to Get a Photo of the Elephant. It Killed Her
WHAT is wrong with people??

No doubt she was warned....

why is a photo better than enjoying the current experience??

Old 09-29-2018, 06:33 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Darwin Award. Don't worry: no one blames the elephant.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:52 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
I think too many people view the wild as some sort of unfenced petting zoo. I remember an article about some idiot who set a camera up on a tripod to take a photo of himself with a group of lions resting under a tree. They were able to figure out what happened from the camera when they recovered it.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:42 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I think too many people view the wild as some sort of unfenced petting zoo. I remember an article about some idiot who set a camera up on a tripod to take a photo of himself with a group of lions resting under a tree. They were able to figure out what happened from the camera when they recovered it.
I took the following picture from a board walk around the hot springs in Yellowstone. I thought I was 'safe' but a week later another tourist was gored in the same spot and maybe by the same bison?

We were simply following the other tourist on the walk and there was no indications that we could be in danger. Of course they have signs all over the place, but in general, you feel 'safe' while following others. Of course there is the chance that the tourist, that got gored, left the walkway and tried to get a closer picture? But sometimes there are other factors like which way the wind is blowing and if the animal perceives you as a threat.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:03 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
I heard of something similar to that many years ago. Some guy walked up to one and patted it on the mane or whatever it’s called. The bison kind of flicked his head back, almost like he’d do to shoo away a biting insect. One of his horns hooked the guy in the midsection and tossed him and he died on the scene. The bison didn’t even move much, probably had no idea what it had just done. It didn’t sound like an aggressive move, more like a quit tickling me kind of move.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:37 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post

There was this other clown in Yellowstone some years back that tried to get film with a Grizz that was tearing apart a rotten log for the bugs inside. He too filmed his own death. Wild animal means WILD. Nobody should even think about approaching wildlife of any kind particularly predators and large herbivores such as deer elk or bison for the purpose of a picture or other such silliness.

These animals are well equipped to put a serious can of whup azz on the table at the very least. Even smaller critters like foxes, coyotes and lets throw in snakes for good measure should not be trifled with. I've always chocked up the stupidity of some people in regards to wild animals with having watched to much Disney. It's cliché but it works.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:14 PM

118 posts, read 66,037 times
Default Contrary to Disney World/Land.

Animals are wild and unpredictable. They are not our cute, furry friends. I refer you to the "Grizzly man" who after 12 years of uneventful life among the grizzly's in Alaska, was killed and eaten by a bear, along with his girlfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature