Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 04:33 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,961,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I know...I'm way too attached for my own good but I don't see much difference in the odds of a new or different squirrel doing damage versus this one doing some new damage.

I have a Cooper's hawk that visits every once in awhile but he seems to go after rabbits rather than the smaller squirrels so he's not too bright.
Not all squirrels do the same amount of damage; I have a few that destroy our birdhouses and some do not. Some chew Maple trees for their sap in the Spring and some do not. It is more of an individual trait of certain squirrels.

When I was young we had problems with flying squirrels in our attic. Since they are nocturnal they loved to play all night in the attic. It was all because of one large tree located next to our house. We got rid of the tree and we then solved our problem.

Maybe your Cooper's hawk has a little German in it and prefers Hasenpfeffer? However they are know to eat ground and tree squirrels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 08:33 PM

12,583 posts, read 9,091,027 times
You can catch him in a live trap using apple and peanut butter. But you'd have to get the hole fixed or he'll go right back in. I found that out the hard way ... trapped a couple of them, then took them outside and released them. They were back in the attic before I got back to my house. You could also carry them some distance away to release, but you seem to want him around to watch. In that case, get the hole fixed whether it's leaking or not.

Squirrels can also cause some damage. A house in my neighborhood burned to the ground because of squirrels chewing the wiring and causing a short.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:37 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,527,466 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if this is the best forum but I'm hoping to hear at least from like-minded people on a possible solution.

I have a particular squirrel that I recognize because of markings that are unique to him - he's been eating peanuts I put out for at least 2 years now. He'd injured himself at the end of the year so I've been keeping a closer eye on him to see how he's doing.

He's recovered well (from a limp) but I noticed after eating he's always going up in one of my trees and from there to my roof....and disappearing. From the ground I can now see he is disappearing into an apparent hole in my roof! From the inside of that room I don't see any water damage yet - but I haven't investigated in the crawl space of the attic to see what it looks like.

It may be crazy but I really don't want to do any harm to this squirrel even though I know I have to fix the roof. What is the best way to live-capture this squirrel and attempt to relocate him to a squirrel house I can put up in a nearby tree? I guess I can't make him move to the tree but can I get him out of the attic without hurting him?

The time has come when you have to consider which is more important, your house or this squirrel. Squirrels that get into attics often chew on electrical wires and can cause fires. There may be other squirrels that will join this one.

A friend had squirrels repeatedly chewing into his attic. He patched up the hole twice and they just chewed another. So he got a trapping permit from the Wildlife Dept. and some wire box traps. He had to catch 30 of them (non-native Eastern fox squirrels), before the hole-chewing stopped. Over 5 years, the body count is now at 180 and more keep moving onto his property, to take the place of the departed ones. Relocation is not a permitted option, after they're caught. The Wildlife Dept. leaves that issue up to the permit-holders and offers no advice, which might be considered politically-incorrect.

I had as many as 15 of these squirrels camping-out on my bird feeder, eating about 2/3 of the seeds I put out. After many years, I'd finally had enough and so took another approach to the problem. There's just two out there these days, after cars on the street took out a couple. I may be able to tolerate that many, but we'll see about that. So far, there's been no chewing into my house, but if they ever do, war will be declared. There are flying squirrels and red tree voles that come at night to feed, which are welcome.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:56 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,187,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The time has come when you have to consider which is more important, your house or this squirrel. Squirrels that get into attics often chew on electrical wires and can cause fires. There may be other squirrels that will join this one.

A friend had squirrels repeatedly chewing into his attic. He patched up the hole twice and they just chewed another. So he got a trapping permit from the Wildlife Dept. and some wire box traps. He had to catch 30 of them (non-native Eastern fox squirrels), before the hole-chewing stopped. Over 5 years, the body count is now at 180 and more keep moving onto his property, to take the place of the departed ones. Relocation is not a permitted option, after they're caught. The Wildlife Dept. leaves that issue up to the permit-holders and offers no advice, which might be considered politically-incorrect.

I had as many as 15 of these squirrels camping-out on my bird feeder, eating about 2/3 of the seeds I put out. After many years, I'd finally had enough and so took another approach to the problem. There's just two out there these days, after cars on the street took out a couple. I may be able to tolerate that many, but we'll see about that. So far, there's been no chewing into my house, but if they ever do, war will be declared. There are flying squirrels and red tree voles that come at night to feed, which are welcome.
I've already stated I'm looking into getting a live trap and I realize I have to make the hole inaccessible immediately. That's why I have to strategize a bit since I need some help getting into my attic and certainly up on my roof - I can't have a handyman waiting around for a couple days for all this to happen.

So yes, I realize damage is occurring as we speak.

Try safflower seed - squirrels won't eat it...cardinals, finches, doves, etc. love it.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:46 PM

20,705 posts, read 9,301,918 times
Quote:
Try safflower seed - squirrels won't eat it...cardinals, finches, doves, etc. love it.
At the risk of getting off topic, every time I've put out safflower seed even the birds ignore it.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:09 AM

Quote:
I've already stated I'm looking into getting a live trap and I realize I have to make the hole inaccessible immediately. That's why I have to strategize a bit since I need some help getting into my attic and certainly up on my roof - I can't have a handyman waiting around for a couple days for all this to happen.

So yes, I realize damage is occurring as we speak.

I live on five acres that sits in the middle of three developments and many of the residents of those developments feed the birds, squirrels and the deer. We also had ducks until my wife recently passed away and guess who likes duck food! As long as there is food; there will be squirrels. We also never have a true picture of how many are really out there. They move from one food source to the next all day long. While you might see six or eight; that is only the very tip of the iceberg - there are far more out there than one can imagine.

If you do try the live trap; peanut butter, peanuts, corn, or quartered apples will work as bait. Do not leave the trap set at night otherwise you could catch a skunk. Skunks are especially drawn to the peanut butter. You might want to buy a 'medium' size trap so it could be used if you ever have other unwanted guest.

If you have an outside security camera or trail camera; you could set it up on the hole in your siding and 'see' exactly what is going in there. There is the possibility that you could catch the squirrel, close up the hole, and leave several still trapped inside.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:53 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,561,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Not all squirrels do the same amount of damage; I have a few that destroy our birdhouses and some do not. Some chew Maple trees for their sap in the Spring and some do not. It is more of an individual trait of certain squirrels.

When I was young we had problems with flying squirrels in our attic. Since they are nocturnal they loved to play all night in the attic. It was all because of one large tree located next to our house. We got rid of the tree and we then solved our problem.

Maybe your Cooper's hawk has a little German in it and prefers Hasenpfeffer? However they are know to eat ground and tree squirrels.
That's interesting. We have one in the yard who chewed the bird feeder my husband made, but the others never did.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
That's interesting. We have one in the yard who chewed the bird feeder my husband made, but the others never did.
Wild animals are called 'wild' because not all have the similar behaviors. Normally the deer and turkeys around my house will eat and graze together without conflict. One time, as my wife and I watched, a deer went up to a turkey and kicked it like a football. Another time a large Tom turkey went up to a deer and spurred it in it's side. Animals have good days and bad days and some, just like humans, will show totally different reactions to their environment.

This year about 4.7 million people will be bitten by 'man's best friend'. About 12 of those will die and about 800,000 will require medical attention. And that is from our dogs; our best friends. Of course not all dogs bite the hand that feeds them; most are good loving pets.

We had pretty good luck with bird houses and feeders until about ten years ago. Now it seems pretty common to get them chewed up by squirrels. Maybe one taught another its bad habits?

It is possible that the OP's squirrel took advantage of a woodpecker's hole? They will do that in the wild. Of course most of our gray squirrels prefer a nest in the trees.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:13 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,079,628 times
I know we had holes plugged up several times. They just chewed new ones. Chewed the wiring to our outdoor flood lights. Several of them. Chewed the wiring harness in my husbands truck. Chewed the wiring in a Sebring (this one could not be repaired it was ruined). Turned my husbands papers stored in the attic into nesting material. Ate all the birdseed.

Yes, they're cute but enough is enough.
Their teeth grow at a phenomenal rate and never stop. They have to chew and they love metal and wiring especially.
We had one that would sit and chew the corners off of the bricks on our house. I guess he was filing his teeth with it. Although I read they also like to get salt out of the mortar.

This is what happens when they can't chew thru stuff (and other reasons):

The Useless Creatures: A Tusked Squirrel

Old 02-23-2019, 09:11 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,571,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I know we had holes plugged up several times. They just chewed new ones. Chewed the wiring to our outdoor flood lights. Several of them. Chewed the wiring harness in my husbands truck. Chewed the wiring in a Sebring (this one could not be repaired it was ruined). Turned my husbands papers stored in the attic into nesting material. Ate all the birdseed.

Yes, they're cute but enough is enough.
Their teeth grow at a phenomenal rate and never stop. They have to chew and they love metal and wiring especially.
We had one that would sit and chew the corners off of the bricks on our house. I guess he was filing his teeth with it. Although I read they also like to get salt out of the mortar.

This is what happens when they can't chew thru stuff (and other reasons):

The Useless Creatures: A Tusked Squirrel
This is why I don't bother rehoming them. I've had so many experiences like this, I just go straight to the air rifle. I bought a high-powered .22 that can dead center a squirrel's head at 30 yards, easily. I don't like it, but I've lost too much property to squirrels. It's a summer-long war, because they constantly reinforce, but the attrition rate slows after the first week or so, and it gets easier to keep up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature