Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2019, 10:06 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,689 times

Advertisements

Today a new guy, a red head I haven't seen before, was in my backyard. After looking at this chart, pretty sure it was a red-bellied woodpecker. Not sure why it's called red-bellied, because it had a white belly.

Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 10:24 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
It's called a red-bellied woodpecker because it has a blush of red on its belly. You probably saw a female, the red blush is not as evident on them as it is on males.

http://www.thewoodthrushshop.com/new...ied-woodpecker

Old 03-17-2019, 10:38 AM

What a pretty picture! Yes, the one I saw probably was a female because it did not see any red on its belly.

I mostly get blue jays, cardinals, sparrows and grackles here, so it was exciting to see a new bird.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:39 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Which is why checking more than one or two images is always a good idea. The books that show juvenile, adult, male, female, breeding, and nonbreeding plumages provide a more complete idea of what a species looks like.

Gulls are extra-difficult, because there is more than one juvenile stage of plumage.

And yes, that’s a might fine photo!

Old 03-17-2019, 11:15 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Great photos and chart. Nothing more fun to me than bird watching, seeing species you've never seen before, or even heard of...I was thrilled the first time I saw Pileated woodpecker.

OP, in Mass., you might be near the flyway birds use to migrate back and forth. That's when you might see strangers at your feeder, stopping by briefly on their way somewhere else. So this spring be watching! And then again in fall.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Great photos and chart. Nothing more fun to me than bird watching, seeing species you've never seen before, or even heard of...I was thrilled the first time I saw Pileated woodpecker.

OP, in Mass., you might be near the flyway birds use to migrate back and forth. That's when you might see strangers at your feeder, stopping by briefly on their way somewhere else. So this spring be watching! And then again in fall.
Good idea! I will watch for the migrating birds heading back to their summer homes.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:39 PM

20,861 posts, read 9,527,489 times
I get lots of red-bellied woodpeckers at my feeders.

And yes, they definitely could have come up with a better name for it. It does have a red belly, but it's not very noticeable.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:05 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,338 times
Yes to watching the flyways

I will sometimes see a "stranger" stop by the bird feeder for lunch and then fly away, not to be seen again.

One such visitor was a bird that looked like this pic I found on the net. It was here for one meal, then moved in. I forget which bird this is but it sure is pretty.

Backyard Birds-image.jpg

Old 03-18-2019, 09:20 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Yes to watching the flyways

I will sometimes see a "stranger" stop by the bird feeder for lunch and then fly away, not to be seen again.

One such visitor was a bird that looked like this pic I found on the net. It was here for one meal, then moved in. I forget which bird this is but it sure is pretty.

Attachment 209199

That's a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&b...mg.loP01nDjGgo

Old 03-19-2019, 02:46 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That's a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&b...mg.loP01nDjGgo

Thank you

I was lucky to see one at the bird feeder two years in a row. Each time the bird only stayed for lunch, then went on its way.

We have quite an assortment of birds including a pair of Red Headed Woodpeckers who seem to be the only birds capable of instilling fear in the Grackles. The Grackles are terrible about scarfing down all the bird seed. DH commented the bird seed usage suddenly went up -- I told him that's because the Grackles are back.

The Bluebirds are also scouting. Their boxes are cleaned and ready for them.

We also just put up our 5th Purple Martin house. They are cousins to the Barn Swallows, all of whom are friendly and comical. I have audio to the horse barn and love to hear a mated pair of Swallows converse early in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature