Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 11:00 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Me too....stink bugs I just get singly, not that many.
Sink bugs love rhododendron. They are a pain in the neck on my screened in porch. If you take a paper or plastic cup and fill it a quarter of the way with water and a little dishwashing soap; it is great at getting permanently rid of those pest. I also use a paint brush. Stink bugs fall down when they are brushed off a screen or window before they start to fly. So if you hold the cup under them when you brush them off; they fall into the cup. The soap breaks the water tension and they sink into the water and drown.

I will also use a handheld rechargeable vacuum cleaner if I'm lazy or they are a little higher than I can reach with my cup of soapy water. I really do not want the stinky little buggers to escape because they will damage my rhododendron and multiply. The vacuum cleaner would also work on the Asian lady bugs. Bugs that enter the vacuum cleaner are not great escape artist and eventually die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 11:35 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Sink bugs love rhododendron. They are a pain in the neck on my screened in porch. If you take a paper or plastic cup and fill it a quarter of the way with water and a little dishwashing soap; it is great at getting permanently rid of those pest. I also use a paint brush. Stink bugs fall down when they are brushed off a screen or window before they start to fly. So if you hold the cup under them when you brush them off; they fall into the cup. The soap breaks the water tension and they sink into the water and drown.

I will also use a handheld rechargeable vacuum cleaner if I'm lazy or they are a little higher than I can reach with my cup of soapy water. I really do not want the stinky little buggers to escape because they will damage my rhododendron and multiply. The vacuum cleaner would also work on the Asian lady bugs. Bugs that enter the vacuum cleaner are not great escape artist and eventually die.
Thanks, fisheye! Doing well.....

Old 03-04-2019, 06:41 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Besides trying to get rid of them (Raid spray) one thing that drove me crazy about those critters is, after I went to bed and turned the lights out, there were always one or two that kept flying and hitting the ceiling, so I heard that "TAP TAP TAP" all night long! lol
Friend of mine actually set off a bug bomb to get rid of them. Worked fine until the next bunch invaded his house.

And they do stink when you kill them.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Besides trying to get rid of them (Raid spray) one thing that drove me crazy about those critters is, after I went to bed and turned the lights out, there were always one or two that kept flying and hitting the ceiling, so I heard that "TAP TAP TAP" all night long! lol
Friend of mine actually set off a bug bomb to get rid of them. Worked fine until the next bunch invaded his house.

And they do stink when you kill them.
If you brush them into the soapy water they don't stink or the stink is contained. It's only when you crush them that you get the full stink treatment (defense mechanism).

They are attracted to light. So if you have one or two flying around your room and you want to get rid of them; turn on one light. Then have the wand of your vacuum handy when they approach the light. It might take a few minutes before they respond to the light; but it beats a sleepless night or setting off a bug bomb!

Old 03-04-2019, 08:04 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Yes, these have the M marking on the head. I've never been bitten....not much I can do, don't want to kill them. There aren't hundreds here, more like 40 or so...

Thanks
Trust me, there are hundreds you just haven't found yet. Our first year in TN, they were all over the southwest face of our home - not hundreds, thousands! That year, our house was inundated. I found them all winter long just thought they were lady bugs - bathroom, kitchen, bedrooms, everywhere. We have 3 cars, one we only use for hauling. That first spring, we opened the door and those horrid beetles just poured out of the door - they had found that just inside the door was nice and warm. UGH! So I did research and that's how I found out what they were/are and the best option is to vacuum them up - and empty the bag/cup right away. Yes, they leave a sticky, smelling, staining residue - from their elbows whether squished or just frightened.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:49 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
My mom has had great luck using a mixture of the Dawn, blue Dawn dish soap mixed with water in a spray bottle for box elder bugs. Maybe it could work with stink bugs?
I am also in Tennessee. We retired here from further north so I Thought the Asian beetles were cute when I first saw them --- then I saw a blurp on the local news about them, realized they were not true Lady Bugs and would never go away, lol

I would give th Dawn dish soap mix a go, except the Asian Lady bugs plaster my picture windows, and sliding glass doors

Someone told me to try spraying lemon pledge around the edges where the windows meet the casing -- that didn't work either

I can use the vacuum attachment and get them cleaned up but they're back on the windows before I get the vacuum put away.

There are worse things, like the Black Widows and Brown Recluse we have but they are mostly at the barn because the foundation of the house gets sprayed.

Usually those dumb Asian bugs have disappeared by this time, but this winter they keep showing up because it's been fairly mild -- I'm getting a bit of a break from them this week because we have been below freezing at night. The sun will be out today to warm the windows, so they will be back this afternoon

Old 03-05-2019, 08:22 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I'm amazed that the asian beetles bite, they look so cute and innocent. :P
I got bit by one last summer. Holy! It hurts like a bee sting, not mild like a mosquito bite. They have only settled in up this far north in the last few years. I love ladybugs, but this version is evil.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:29 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Yes, these have the M marking on the head. I've never been bitten....not much I can do, don't want to kill them. There aren't hundreds here, more like 40 or so...

Thanks
Well, if you don't get rid of them they will multiply and be back yearly with increased numbers. They do not leave willingly.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:36 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Well, if you don't get rid of them they will multiply and be back yearly with increased numbers. They do not leave willingly.
If you know how to accomplish getting rid of them without having the pest control people use something in every crevice of house & attic, please share, as we would all love to do just that ---- get rid of them

Old 03-05-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
If you know how to accomplish getting rid of them without having the pest control people use something in every crevice of house & attic, please share, as we would all love to do just that ---- get rid of them
Here is a link that list and rates many ways to repel or kill the little buggers: https://stoppestinfo.com/359-how-to-...-ladybugs.html.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature