Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 11:41 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times

Advertisements

I had an experience with an emu that was pretty interesting. It had gotten loose from somewhere and was hanging around my place. I came out to feed one morning and found my grain can lid flipped odd and the ground all stirred up. Hmmm. I then went out front to kick on the lawn irrigation and found this huge green colored egg on the grass. My friends told me it was an emu. So I gave them the egg and figured that was that. The bird took some grain and left me an egg in exchange. Fair nuff.

Couple days later I had the same thing happen. Grain can open and an egg on the lawn. This one was kinda black colored though. I took it to my friends and they said they didn't know anyone who had lost a bird and this was odd since it wasn't laying season for the emus. Ahh well. The bird was just doing good business so no biggy.

A couple weeks later some people up the road a ways complained about her and the wildlife guys came out and shot her. . She wasn't hurting anything so I thought that sucked. I never actually even saw her. She'd come in at night get her grain and leave an egg. Thought it was cool.

My friends took the eggs and drained them and gave me back the empty shells. I put them up on the nic nac shelf. A memento of a unique experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 06:52 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,083,467 times
I service a breathing air system for the fire station on a major aeronautical engineering firms location. In the room where the HP compressor is located, they hang ostrich eggs in mesh bags, half way up to the ceiling. When I asked why, the LT I usually deal with, told me that they repeal spiders.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:19 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I service a breathing air system for the fire station on a major aeronautical engineering firms location. In the room where the HP compressor is located, they hang ostrich eggs in mesh bags, half way up to the ceiling. When I asked why, the LT I usually deal with, told me that they repeal spiders.
I wonder if the spiders just think it's the egg sac of the biggest spider ever.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:21 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Hey, birds are basically dinosaurs. They come from a totally different place than mammals. There is stuff that they do with their tiny little brains that you can't imagine a mammal of equivalent size being able to do; and then there's stuff they do that any mammal wouldn't do. You can't use mammal behavior (that we all know so well) to predict bird behavior.

The personality of the large flightless birds might give you some idea what the personality of a T Rex was like.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:58 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I had an experience with an emu that was pretty interesting. It had gotten loose from somewhere and was hanging around my place. I came out to feed one morning and found my grain can lid flipped odd and the ground all stirred up. Hmmm. I then went out front to kick on the lawn irrigation and found this huge green colored egg on the grass. My friends told me it was an emu. So I gave them the egg and figured that was that. The bird took some grain and left me an egg in exchange. Fair nuff.

Couple days later I had the same thing happen. Grain can open and an egg on the lawn. This one was kinda black colored though. I took it to my friends and they said they didn't know anyone who had lost a bird and this was odd since it wasn't laying season for the emus. Ahh well. The bird was just doing good business so no biggy.

A couple weeks later some people up the road a ways complained about her and the wildlife guys came out and shot her. . She wasn't hurting anything so I thought that sucked. I never actually even saw her. She'd come in at night get her grain and leave an egg. Thought it was cool.

My friends took the eggs and drained them and gave me back the empty shells. I put them up on the nic nac shelf. A memento of a unique experience.
Funny. Something similar to that happens to me when I eat oatmeal.
OK. Not exactly like that, but sorta similar.....

Old 05-02-2019, 06:44 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Hey, birds are basically dinosaurs. They come from a totally different place than mammals. There is stuff that they do with their tiny little brains that you can't imagine a mammal of equivalent size being able to do; and then there's stuff they do that any mammal wouldn't do. You can't use mammal behavior (that we all know so well) to predict bird behavior.

The personality of the large flightless birds might give you some idea what the personality of a T Rex was like.

More like a Galymimous with ostriches. If you wanna see T Rex or maybe Velociraptor watch chickens. Chickens are vicious. I've seen them tear snakes to pieces and eat them. It's like a frenzy. They keep scorpions down too. Even mice if they catch them in the open they're toast.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:49 AM

27 posts, read 13,671 times
That's horrible. R.I.P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature