Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 07:07 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The dish look bizarre at sea level because they evolved to live at great depths, where the pressure squeezes them into more conventional shapes.
This doesn't explain their same bizarre appearance in live photos/video taken at the depths/pressures they live at!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 07:14 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
They aren't any "uglier" than other creatures humans don't happen to appreciate. We judge everything by our own standards and from our own perspective, not that of evolutionary success. People often think snakes, insects (especially cockroaches), fungi, some birds (vultures, shoebill storks come to mind), mammals (warthogs and wildebeest for example), plants ugly too, but many of them are marvels of biological ability. Evolution doesn't "care" what something looks like, only that it successfully takes advantage of whatever features and abilities it happens to have.

If I see some creature for the first time and find it "ugly" that usually means I simply don't understand it yet. Once the reasons for it's features becomes clear, it can very well become "beautiful".

Old 05-20-2019, 07:47 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Take the Blob fish, or the Angler fish, for example, really ugly. When it comes to the angler fish, I was actually surprised to learn the horrendous monstrosities you see are actually female, and the males are just tiny things lol; not pretty for sure!

I would say it's because people associate beauty in fish with colors and bottom feeders generally are not colorful.

But phsiologically, a lot of them are similar to other fish.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:20 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
I’m not gonna say it. I’m not gonna say it...

Old 05-20-2019, 11:10 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Take the Blob fish, or the Angler fish, for example, really ugly. When it comes to the angler fish, I was actually surprised to learn the horrendous monstrosities you see are actually female, and the males are just tiny things lol; not pretty for sure!
ha... when I read the title I immediately thought "better not be talking about my little blob fish!"

"Take the Blob fish.."

I like blob fish. (probably because everyone makes fun of them.)
I think they are adorable.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:41 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
That's exactly what I had in mind. Awesome looking creature though.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:15 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Form follows function. They are beautifully adapted for the environment in which they dwell.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:17 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
Why are deep sea fish so ugly?

Because being that far down the poor light gives everyone beer goggles.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:48 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
They aren't any "uglier" than other creatures humans don't happen to appreciate. We judge everything by our own standards and from our own perspective, not that of evolutionary success. People often think snakes, insects (especially cockroaches), fungi, some birds (vultures, shoebill storks come to mind), mammals (warthogs and wildebeest for example), plants ugly too, but many of them are marvels of biological ability. Evolution doesn't "care" what something looks like, only that it successfully takes advantage of whatever features and abilities it happens to have.

If I see some creature for the first time and find it "ugly" that usually means I simply don't understand it yet. Once the reasons for it's features becomes clear, it can very well become "beautiful".
I think that's a pretty awesome response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature