Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 11:30 AM

689 posts, read 2,059,107 times

Advertisements

About two weeks ago I noticed birds flying in and out of a rolled-up small carpet that I keep in my garden cart. They were obviously making a nest, so we looked inside and decided to let them have it. A friend and I gently moved the carpet to a nearby basket and pointed it in the same direction that the birdies were used to. Sure enough, last week there was an egg and now I've seen mom sitting in there a couple of times. (She doesn't seem to be bothered by my little flashlight.) So, my question...can you give me an approximate time from when the birds build their nest until the babies fly? I want my carpet back, but I can make do until they don't need it anymore. Of course, our cat (INDOOR only) enjoys watching the nesters fly in and out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 11:33 AM

130,485 posts, read 12,130,332 times
Once the eggs have hatched, I think it is about 4 or 5 weeks before they can fly. Thank you for letting them keep their home

Old 05-12-2019, 11:46 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Once the eggs have hatched, I think it is about 4 or 5 weeks before they can fly. Thank you for letting them keep their home
Yes, thanks OP!

Old 05-12-2019, 12:29 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
21 -28 days to they hatch 6-8 weeks to learn to fly but depending on the breed months before they leave home.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:58 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
About two weeks ago I noticed birds flying in and out of a rolled-up small carpet that I keep in my garden cart. They were obviously making a nest, so we looked inside and decided to let them have it. A friend and I gently moved the carpet to a nearby basket and pointed it in the same direction that the birdies were used to. Sure enough, last week there was an egg and now I've seen mom sitting in there a couple of times. (She doesn't seem to be bothered by my little flashlight.) So, my question...can you give me an approximate time from when the birds build their nest until the babies fly? I want my carpet back, but I can make do until they don't need it anymore. Of course, our cat (INDOOR only) enjoys watching the nesters fly in and out. Thanks!
Any idea what species of bird? The time to fledging varies. Most smaller songbird chicks start trying to leave the nest by 2-3 weeks after hatching, not 6-8! They grow incredibly fast. Bigger the bird, makes sense that it takes longer for them to become flight capable...more time needed to grow larger feathers and build muscle strength. Biggest raptors tend to stay in the nest the longest; around 3 months.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:18 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,036,382 times
I would also recommend that you watch the nest closely. Some bird breeds will and can have 4, 5, 6 batches over the coarse of a season. Like sparrows...they can have multiple batches over the coarse of summer...so you gotta be quick. lol

Old 05-15-2019, 10:21 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,243,900 times
Agreed. We had some house finches... took ~2 weeks of egg-sitting and another 11-14 days before they were just gone. I cleaned out the next and they were back in a couple of weeks to build another one, but I haven't seen them back in a while.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:50 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,919,770 times
Those might be Wrens. If so, they kick their kids out of the house early. It seems like only 4 or so weeks

I have seen several clutches of Carilina Wrens born and raised, and I have seen several clutches of Barn Swallows born and raised.

The young Wrens are ready to fly earlier than the Barn Swallows, plus the Wren adults don't mess around telling the kids to leave. Whereas, the Barn Swallows Molly coddle their kids and next thing I know mom is really becoming anxious/frustrated --- turns out she needs to sit on more eggs, wants those kids gone yet she and hubby keep feeding them, lollol

We also have Mockingbird babies in the lilac bush. That mom is nobody to mess with if she thinks her babies are threatened. I have seen her go beak-to-beak with a crow twice her size and win. Plus DH read Mockingbirds have been known to go after dogs and cats if they get to snooping around the nest.

Thank you OP for your patience and letting the bird build her nest) take a few moments each day to stand quietly and just observe them (both parents feed the babies. It's a great way to "exhale" from a rough day and reconnect with nature

Old 05-15-2019, 09:06 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,919,770 times
I couldn't get this to load it in my previous post.

These are the Wren babies that just left the nest last week; they were not old enough to have their eyes open when I took this picture .

The nest is in the end of a Hay Bale about 4 feet from my face where I stand at the counter in the barn to prepare horsefeed. The mom had no fear.

They were just as cute as could be to watch them grow up. This was a good nest the mom built. Usually the kids fall out and I have to pick them back up and put them in their nest because she didn't make the nest deep enough.

There are four little cuties in there. It's hard to be in a bad mood when you're looking at them every morning LOL LOL
When Will the Baby Birds Leave?-image.jpg

Old 05-16-2019, 08:11 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,036,382 times
I've got a robin's nest in my backyard cherry tree. Seems like, at the beginning of last week, they had just hatched, and now I'm wondering if they're going to fledge next week. They're so big already! LOL

Three perpetually open-mouthed baby birds. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature