U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 04:34 PM

3,871 posts, read 2,741,928 times

Advertisements

I'd say where the Andes Mountains begans in the Amazon rainforest. You'd get the Amazon the heart of life for us land dwellers plus the dramatic height differentials of the largest mountain range on Earth.

I think Africa is definitely up next my personal favorite would be the okavango Delta in Botswana winch swells with life when flooded yearly.

Within the U.S. Alaska has to be amazing, and completely untamed for the most part. Yellowstone as someone else mentioned and that entire region albeit the abundance of plains sort of takes away from the natural beauty it possesses. My third one is definitely Florida, normally when people move in you see species dying in Mass. In Florida they thrive when people arive, and get worse actually just look at the Python problem there right now just going through any forest there and you feel the sense of everything is alive!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 02:07 PM

6,209 posts, read 3,142,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you want to be amazed by spectacular wildlife in both quantity and variety, where would you go to see this?

Topographic variety is an added plus.
I just returned from spending 3 weeks in Africa. Namibia, Botswana, and Zimbabwe. I saw 34 different species of animals, 65 different species of birds, and 4 different reptiles. Didn't see any fish though.

The scenery was spectacular, beautiful sunsets, perfect weather. I never got sick (unlike Mexico, in which I've gotten the runs a few times) and in Namibia you can drink the tap water. I mostly camped in national park campgrounds, but stayed in some private ones to. I rented a 4x4 truck and drove it. I highly recommend going there. You see the animals in their natural habitat, often quite close. You hear lions roaring at night and if lucky see them take down a buffalo.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:55 AM

34 posts, read 7,017 times
Im a little late to the thread but:

I lived 11 years in Alaska, and it is amazing for wildlife viewing, however, I also spent some time in Africa and that blew me away.

Fly to Johannesburg, rent a car and drive north to the Kruger Wildlife park and rent an AirBnb there. You self-drive into the park and it will be like watching a National Geographic. Cheap too.

I grew up in Hawaii. I'd have to say if diving is fun for you, that is an even better way to see a great diversity of wildlife.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:35 AM

1,544 posts, read 401,717 times
Under water, especially around tropical coral reefs!

Old 11-27-2019, 09:39 AM

2,232 posts, read 468,863 times
While not necessarily the "best" place in the whole world, I really enjoyed all of the wildlife I saw when living in Cambridge, MA. Many of them passing by my glass door. Surprising how many animals live in a city.

The animals I regularly observed: turkeys, geese, typical back yard birds, hawks, owls, rats, mice, feral cats, skunks, raccoons, possums, squirrels and groundhogs.

Occasionally would see coyotes and foxes.

I'm sure there were even more animals that I didn't see or can't remember.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:09 PM

11,289 posts, read 3,413,997 times
I would think a wide open area like a savanna would be better than a jungle, simply because you're more apt to actually be able to see something.

Maybe the Serengeti, or somewhere in Alaska?

Or how about putting up a bird feeder in your backyard! Really easy too!

Old 12-03-2019, 07:17 AM

3,858 posts, read 1,338,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
The national parks are always a good way to see wildlife. Around here, the Cascade Loop https://www.cascadeloop.com/, and Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge are my favorite places.
okay, you have me intriqued. I was thinking about going to Alaska, but this may suffice. Best time to go to have decent weather but also to avoid peak seson crowds...I'm looking for the shoulder seasons. thx

Old 12-03-2019, 09:58 AM

34 posts, read 7,017 times
Like I said in my earlier reply here, I lived in Alaska for 11 years and, with the exception of Moose, you kinda have to work hard to see wildlife there.

Moose are everywhere. You WILL see moose. I bow hunted and would see very occasional bears, porcupines, Dall Sheep, very rarely wolves.

If your lucky and adventurous you can see lots and lots of Caribou.

Your best bets are tours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or