Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 07:27 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

All mammals and birds reach a point where they can no longer reproduce and yet keep living. I don't understand why you think humans are actually different. They aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 08:39 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Every time someone mentions a creator, I think about periods, menopause, and men, and wonder how any loving god could create such evil things.
God is an artist. A mad artist some would say. Either way, a delete button is part of the pallet.

"Good", "evil", and "love" are from the human perspective, very narrow.

Archaeological evidence suggests that in pre-industrial times, average life expectancy in most societies was around 30, most people died of disease, malnutrition, and injury. According to one archaeologist's interpretation, a woman of 40 years was considered old, a woman of 50 a burden: by Jewish law, girls became adults at the age of 12 or 13; in ancient Rome, a girl became a woman, legally speaking, at 15; in Hispanic cultures they still celebrate the quinceañera.

Based on that evidence, I don't give significant weight to the argument that grandparents are necessary or significantly helpful, as a matter of natural selection, to help raise children.

I find more credible the argument that better food production/distribution (diet) and medicine have changed the dynamic.

Still doesn't answer the OP's question, but we can all take reasonable guesses, even call them "science" if we want to.

At any rate, humans are not without artistic qualities, obviously, and my understanding is that the boundaries of human female fertility are being pushed further out the age spectrum, so maybe diet and medicine can indeed at least postpone menopause for those who wish to do so.

All the best!

Old 06-28-2019, 09:07 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Along the same lines, why do humans have periods at all? Animals don't (that I know of).

Talk about a stupid hassle.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:16 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Along the same lines, why do humans have periods at all? Animals don't (that I know of).

Talk about a stupid hassle.
But animals walk around with their rear ends in the air just screaming and begging for someone to have sex with them, the more the merrier as many times as possible. That has got to be more miserable than bleeding a little, or a few cramps.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:21 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,890 times
Almost afraid to ask this, as I know some will be mean to me about it, but I really must ask if anyone is in my shoes on this:

I am 51, and my group of 8 friends are between 50-60. If we set aside the 2 who had hysterectomies, that leaves now 7 of us.

I am the only one who never had one single period symptom, aside from probably being a bit more tired for a few days. Ever. In my whole menstrual life from 12 years old until now.

I am also the only one who has no symptoms of menopause. I have had night sweats my entire life, even as a tiny kid, so I don't count that one. Of the others: no hot flashes, no additional tiredness that what I have always felt, no reduced sex drive or dryness (TMI), etc etc. None of it.

I am sure that I am just very very lucky genetically, and that this is like 90% of the reason. However, I do attribute some of the reason to the fact that I have been a clean eater and avid health freak for my entire adult life. The other ladies don't even try nor do they want to try. I really think it helps.

Is any one else in this boat? Am I maybe just not old enough yet to feel any symptoms, but they are coming?

Old 06-28-2019, 11:33 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
You might change your mind in the next few years as you are just at the beginning stages of that phase of life. Yes, they are coming.

I read somewhere that menopause is just the first sign to a woman that her body is shutting down. Like I needed nature to tell me that.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:57 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Actually, the equivalent is seen in many species. In Nature, life is hazardous, so not many individuals live long enough for their reproductive functions to cease. But the females of many types of animals and birds that are in captivity or lead protected lives, will stop reproducing when they become older and the hormones that supported that function will no longer be produced.

Chickens are a good example with which we are familiar. If a hen gets to be 8 to 10 years old, and her reproductive hormones have stopped, she may sprout colored feathers like a rooster, start crowing and even court other hens and try to mate with them. The reference to this is myself, as I've observed this among my own chickens a couple of times. Their female hormones suppressed those male characteristics, during the earlier part of those hens' lives.
Yes, I concur with all of the above. Re: the bolded part - I've seen the same kind of thing in some of my own birds - chickens, ducks, geese (waterfowl are much more long-lived that landfowl even after they have outgrown productivity) - several kinds of fish are also known to do the same thing.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:08 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post

..... Is any one else in this boat? Am I maybe just not old enough yet to feel any symptoms, but they are coming?

Not in the same boat as you but I am curious - have you had any children? If you've produced babies did you go through any/many of the common symptoms or side-effects that accompany pregnancy and post-pregnancy?

Old 06-28-2019, 12:36 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennywally51 View Post
Of course you laughed....when was the last time you had some ACV for anything ?

Never ! right ?
I have, over long periods of time, using Braggs. And it never did anything for me one way, or another. But it did make me smell like a salad.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:59 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,570,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
You might change your mind in the next few years as you are just at the beginning stages of that phase of life. Yes, they are coming.

I read somewhere that menopause is just the first sign to a woman that her body is shutting down. Like I needed nature to tell me that.

"Do you ever feel like your body's "check engine" light has been on, and you're still driving it like nah, it'll be fine?"

I cracked up when I first saw that. It's so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature