Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 01:10 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Along the same lines, why do humans have periods at all? Animals don't (that I know of).

Talk about a stupid hassle.
Other mammals have what is called an estrous cycle. It's not the same as a period in human females, but it's similar. Have you ever heard of a dog being in heat?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estrous_cycle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 01:18 PM

1,074 posts, read 641,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Not in the same boat as you but I am curious - have you had any children? If you've produced babies did you go through any/many of the common symptoms or side-effects that accompany pregnancy and post-pregnancy?

I do. I have two children. I had them at age 29 and 34.
I don't know if I had "typical pregnancy symptoms" or not. My pregnancy was uneventful as pregnancies go (no complications)
All I can tell you is that I felt exactly the same as being hungover, and it was 24 hours a day for 9 months.

After, typical "baby blues" nothing severe.
Had maybe one or two cramps in the first period after pregnancy/breast feeding.

The only thing that happened to me out of the ordinary is that I caught something in the hospital that is changed me forever, but it's off subject....just for full disclosure....

Old 06-28-2019, 03:28 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
I do. I have two children. I had them at age 29 and 34.
I don't know if I had "typical pregnancy symptoms" or not. My pregnancy was uneventful as pregnancies go (no complications)
All I can tell you is that I felt exactly the same as being hungover, and it was 24 hours a day for 9 months.

After, typical "baby blues" nothing severe.
Had maybe one or two cramps in the first period after pregnancy/breast feeding.

The only thing that happened to me out of the ordinary is that I caught something in the hospital that is changed me forever, but it's off subject....just for full disclosure....
Okay, thanks. I suspect that when you start going through menopause you will occasionally find yourself feeling hungover like you did when you were pregnant, together with the kind of periodic brain fog and fluctuating hot and cold temperature changes that can accompany a hangover.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:42 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Here's some more information on the general subject, that is at least obliquely relevant to the thread topic. When all the eggs have been used up in a woman's ovaries, she undergoes menopause and the ovaries shrink and eventually no longer produce hormones. However, this is not as simple as was once thought. Until a decade or so ago, it was thought that a girl was born with all the eggs in her ovaries that she would ever have. This number was somewhere typically around 350 to 450.

But about half the eggs (ova) do not mature, but wither and disappear. If a girl begins ovulating at age 13 and one egg per month matures, the numbers do not jibe with a typical fertile period of about 35 years. If a woman had just 200 good eggs, they would last only about 17 years and she would go into menopause at age 30. So just the numbers led researchers to dig deeper and they found that a woman may produce entirely new eggs during her life------probably at least doubling those she had at birth. Perhaps the number of new eggs produced, could be the key to some women remaining fertile until they're older than others. Could leading a very active and healthy lifestyle, allow some women to keep producing new eggs longer?

More research is needed. Imagine the impact on behavior, if women learned they could extend their sexual functions years longer, by hard exercise, good food and avoidance of harmful substances. The same could probably apply to men, about extending their fertility and virility. The best news would be a discovery that continuing a high level of sexual activity would lead to a woman producing new eggs later in her life and keeping the furnace burning hot. And there's nothing that keeps a man's vigor up, like having a woman in his life who will continue to appreciate his services.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 06-28-2019 at 04:53 PM..

Old 06-28-2019, 04:53 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennywally51 View Post
my opinion is, it's quite simple. Diet is the answer, and since acv with added water can help with that it's not magic, just weird for many who rely on their doctor, who has no remedy even tho one exists and was a favorite "cure-all of hippocrates" i wonder how is it a favorite of the father of medicine but the docs are clueless ?

You'll have to answer that, not me.

Avc=apple-cider-vinegar, and don't forget the water !

😐

Old 06-28-2019, 06:18 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Almost afraid to ask this, as I know some will be mean to me about it, but I really must ask if anyone is in my shoes on this:

I am 51, and my group of 8 friends are between 50-60. If we set aside the 2 who had hysterectomies, that leaves now 7 of us.

I am the only one who never had one single period symptom, aside from probably being a bit more tired for a few days. Ever. In my whole menstrual life from 12 years old until now.

I am also the only one who has no symptoms of menopause. I have had night sweats my entire life, even as a tiny kid, so I don't count that one. Of the others: no hot flashes, no additional tiredness that what I have always felt, no reduced sex drive or dryness (TMI), etc etc. None of it.

I am sure that I am just very very lucky genetically, and that this is like 90% of the reason. However, I do attribute some of the reason to the fact that I have been a clean eater and avid health freak for my entire adult life. The other ladies don't even try nor do they want to try. I really think it helps.

Is any one else in this boat? Am I maybe just not old enough yet to feel any symptoms, but they are coming?
Oh Honey, my menopause didn't even go into full swing at 51. I was still having periods then. Wait a few years later.

Nothing to do with clean eating or being a health freak. You may have not produced sufficient hormone levels to trigger monthly menstrual changes/symptoms that other women have.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:20 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
They run out of eggs before they die.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:28 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Perhaps the number of new eggs produced, could be the key to some women remaining fertile until they're older than others. Could leading a very active and healthy lifestyle, allow some women to keep producing new eggs longer?

More research is needed. Imagine the impact on behavior, if women learned they could extend their sexual functions years longer, by hard exercise, good food and avoidance of harmful substances. The same could probably apply to men, about extending their fertility and virility. The best news would be a discovery that continuing a high level of sexual activity would lead to a woman producing new eggs later in her life and keeping the furnace burning hot. And there's nothing that keeps a man's vigor up, like having a woman in his life who will continue to appreciate his services.
This is nonsense.

I had over 41 years of periods. I got pregnant at 46. Unfortunately, I had a miscarriage - whether it was my fault or my older husband's sperm, i don't know or care.

The joke is a friend was always healthier, fitter, slimmer, never drank, better eater - all-round "healthier" than me. She tried in her late twenties to conceive a baby and couldn't. She found out her eggs were already too old.

It is all genes.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:16 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennywally51 View Post
Of course you laughed....when was the last time you had some ACV for anything ?

Never ! right ?

Are you serious?

I've used ACV off and on starting probably before you were born. I had a book as a teenager called Vermont Folk Medicine that extolled the virtues of honey and apple cider vinegar. It can be beneficial--for digestion, for skin problems, for many things.

It does not stop menopause, and it's bizarre that you would say so.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:39 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I agree- a woman who was still fertile near the end of a "normal" life span back then was very likely to die in childbirth or soon after, especially if she'd had multiple pregnancies over the years.

The writer Ellen Goodman once wrote a great column about what a blessing it was for women that at some point their bodies made reproduction impossible. Having chased my two little granddaughters around on occasion (I'm 66 and consider myself to be in great shape but hey, I'm 66!), I think that's a great point.
Before there was birth control, women would have kids more or less every two years, until they expired. When I did a family genealogy, I discovered that it was common for women to have 10, 12, even 13 kids. At that point, they died, and their widower, if he had the economic means, would find a single woman in her 20's, and start all over again, with another enormous family.

It's a heck of a way to live, and die; being a baby-making machine, and having to cook and do laundry for all those people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature