Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you seeing a decline in the number of insects where you live?
yes, definitely 57 44.19%
no 62 48.06%
can't really say that i've paid enough attention to say 6 4.65%
other 4 3.10%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 01:08 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing the same number of bugs as usual, adjusted for the weather. It is cold and wet and most of the bugs aren't out and active until it warms up, which is happening late this year.

My fruit growing buddies are reporting more bug damage than usual. So the destructive agricultural pests seem to be doing just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2022, 01:54 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
I mowed part of the lawn out at our property, and the bugs were terrible. I ate a couple, got a few in my eyes, etc. But...by the same token, I saw lots of lovely butterflies. We have lots of wildflowers out there.

Old 06-23-2022, 09:36 AM

2,713 posts, read 2,212,297 times
I am not seeing as many bees, but the flies and knats are terrible this year.

Old 06-26-2022, 07:27 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,341,370 times
There are a lot of honey bees on the clover in my lawn this year. It seems to me that there are more than in previous years. The early bumble bees and later carpenter bees were attracted to the dandelions. They were almost pets last year when I grew zucchini and cucumber.

The lightning bugs emerged a bit late this year and there are fewer of them. I haven't yet heard a cricket.

Old 07-21-2022, 11:23 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
according to this, monarch butterflies in particular have declined between 85% and 95% since the 1990s.

https://apnews.com/article/science-n...393296c19c302b

Old 07-21-2022, 12:37 PM

629 posts, read 409,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
just wondering if other people are noticing something similar where they live.
The past two emergences of periodic cicadas have been no-shows here in Northern Indiana, I was greatly disappointed. Monarch butterflies thankfully show up every year, but it seems like less and less.

Never a shortage of whiteflies, midges, skeeters and other noxious pests, unfortunately.

Old 07-23-2022, 06:16 AM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
according to this, monarch butterflies in particular have declined between 85% and 95% since the 1990s.

https://apnews.com/article/science-n...393296c19c302b
OTOH- https://www.theyucatantimes.com/2022...their-numbers/ Populations fluctuate naturally.

A general decline in Monarch numbers thanks to loss of habitat in Mexico to satisfy the tastes of American guacamole eaters. https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._United_States

Even small changes in land use can make huge differences in populations--- My 30 ac of pasture/meadow/savannah, when left fallow to grow wildly was filthy with butterflies, dragonfles, etc. Once we put cattle out there again, the flora has changed considerably-- more grass, fewer wild flowers, and the abundance of butterflies etc very much lower.

Some years, our jelly-filled oriole feeders are swarming with honey bees. Other years, very few show up. Some years paper wasp nests are everywhere on the barn & house-- other years, very few.

Old 07-23-2022, 06:24 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
This past month, and also in 2020, we have had hundreds of flies in the house. It must have something to do with the climate, but not sure. We had a very dry spring, followed by rain almost every day in July. Weve never found a source, and don’t know how they’re getting in.

Old 07-23-2022, 09:59 AM

5,763 posts, read 11,367,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This past month, and also in 2020, we have had hundreds of flies in the house. It must have something to do with the climate, but not sure. We had a very dry spring, followed by rain almost every day in July. Weve never found a source, and don’t know how they’re getting in.
Flies and other flying insects can (sometimes) enter a house via a kitchen vent that exits the roof or side of the dwelling. Maybe the flap on that vent is stuck open? Or, maybe you have a fireplace chimney without the damper closed? My assumption in coastal Georgia that during the hot weather season, windows are closed most of the time and you have the AC turned on most of the time.

I have the opposite situation at my apartment in Germany. There is no AC here, and not many hot days (above 93F). I leave a few windows tipped (tilted back 8") at the top nearly all day, every day from late May to early or mid September to let in fresh air. There are no window screens, and no AC. So far this summer I have only seen a few flies inside the apartment, one bee and no mosquitos. There is a large green open space with trees and grass in front and back, so it is not a concrete jungle. The apartment is on a small hill, so there is no standing water or creeks nearby, which probably reduces the insect count.

Old 07-23-2022, 08:19 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

Cluster flies can get in through any crack or crevice, although they are usually seen in late fall/winter as they seek places to stay warm. They can be quite numerous. Not sure if that's what you have or not but they look much like houseflies but aren't much attracted to housefly food sources and spend most of their time on windows seemingly trying to get back out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature