Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you seeing a decline in the number of insects where you live?
yes, definitely 57 44.19%
no 62 48.06%
can't really say that i've paid enough attention to say 6 4.65%
other 4 3.10%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 09:49 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

it wasn't all that long ago that in summertime i would have to repeatedly scrub tons of smashed bugs off my vehicles. that just doesn't seem to happen any more at least in my experience. sure, there are plenty of mosquitos i have to contend with in my yard, and masses of katydids that you never actually see still roar in the trees every night from early july through early September, but overall i'm just seeing far fewer bugs around than i used to. just wondering if other people are noticing something similar where they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 10:47 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
I happen to be fond of bees and butterflies. This year my garden and my town are seeing a huge drop in these visitors. It's tiresome trying to educate younger folk on the necessity of bees and how they positively affect the environment . Harvest..pollenation. yet folks kill bees and consider them pest...a nuisance.

Butterflies just fascinate ...yet so few are migrating into the area.

Normally we have an upsurge of stink bugs during humid hot days. Even they aren't following the norm.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:23 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
I voted 'other' because I'm seeing a mish mash of things. There has notably been a sharp decline in certain types of insects (especially moths and butterflies of all types) and an increase in certain types of other insects (especially ticks, bark beetles, stink bugs, ants and wasps).

But I'm also seeing that some insects seem to be maintaining their numbers and activities as always, plus I've noticed that we're starting to get some insects here that were never native to this area before and I'm not familiar with them, haven't ID'ed them and don't know for sure what other parts of the continent they may have arrived from.

I attribute all of these changes to go hand in hand with climate change since I'm seeing so many other changes in the environment, flora and fauna here that are clearly a direct consequence of the very obvious climate changes we're seeing happening here now.

We are living in interesting times.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:32 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by See If This Works View Post
Could be the shape of the cars? More aerodynamic? Less impact with bugs?
it could, but probably not in my direct experience. my old truck is not very aerodynamic..

i can recall driving across parts of texas in the middle of the night years ago and fireflies would smash into the windshield every few minutes and leaving glowing goo behind.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We have never had all that many bugs, mostly just spiders certain times of the year (fall). Still, those that we do have seem to be on the increase, not decline. For example I'm plagued this year with Sowbugs. As for the car windshields, we only seem to get that when traveling into Eastern Washington, Oregon and California, not so much staying here on the west side of Washington. More often it's bird droppings from the crows, or when in Seattle, from the seagulls.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:33 PM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I live in northeast TN. It doesn't seem much more different now than any typical year. I'm 33. I grew up here and the only meaningful difference is that summer seems a bit warmer on average and definitely wetter.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:53 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Hardly. I just found a swarm of thousands of bees (likely Africanized) on the side of my farm house today.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 07-23-2019 at 09:29 PM..

Old 07-16-2019, 02:56 PM

7,236 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Re: bugs & cars--aerodynamics + change in roadways-- interstates swipe a 600 ft wide swath thru the countryside and they keep it mowed short --->

Main reason people are seeing fewer bugs is loss of habitat. In Chicago, for instance the end of the earth was at Harlem Ave (8 mi from the Lake) in the 50s. Now it's Rt 47 FIFTY MILES from the lake-- all that farm land paved over in the last 60 yrs.

I now live in rural WI and have to swat butterflies away like suburbanites swat mosquitos. The only people who think MotherNature is in trouble are those who never get out of the city.

BTW- use your brains a little-- how many insects are there in the tropics?....How many live on The Tundra?...Is Global Warming (if it even exists*) helping or hurting insects?...If you see it on The Evening News, it's probably not true...Think for yourselves. Don't be led to the slaughter without putting up a fight.

* Records show that only the polar areas (ie- N or S of 30* latitude) are warming day & nite temps. Temperate latitudes are warming only at nite and tropics not warming at all. You'd expect that (regardless of cause) because heat energy moves from warm to cold-- any increased heat in tropics would naturally move towards the poles.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:57 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
You want to see bugs? Come to Texas.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:59 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Yes, absolutely some insects seem to be on the decline. Unfortunately, that doesn't include mosquitos, black flies, horse flies or deer flies.

I am stark raving terrified of wasps, hornets or bees and haven't been terrorized by one yet this summer which is very unusual (touch wood).

Also, we rarely see Monarch butterflies or fireflies any more.

It's scary actually. What is killing them all off?

Another thing we never see any more is bats. We used to have bats where we camp and where our cottage is, and I haven't seen even ONE for a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature