Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 07:21 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

What I have noticed is new species. We have Euro doves here now and not even 5 years ago you rarely saw one. So few I actually thought at first they were band tails. Now they are everywhere and adapting fast. On any given morning in the winter I'd have 15 white wing and mourning doves in the yard. Now that has doubled with the Euros. They love going after the chicken scratch.

The Coopers are thick and picking them off left and right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 08:21 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
This goes hand in hand with declines in the insect population.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/a...hy-it-matters/

There is a growing push to plant wild flowers and native plants anf replacing grass with groundcovers which attract and sustain pollinators. Unfortunately, native plants can be weedy and do not fit the image of a trim lawn beloved by so many, actively enforced by HOA’s and promoted by the lawn care industry. That perfect look maintained by pesticide/herbicides/fertilizers is killing insects and pollinators and polluting water, which has a cascading effect on other wildlife, birds just being one of the many.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:24 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Well we cant blame DDT ,Rachel Carson took care of that.. Now its Global Warming ,oops Climate Change. I think when Trump is reelected he will be the cause.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:24 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
It helps to actually read the article.

Old 10-07-2019, 03:13 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
It helps to actually read the article.
I commented on Three of the reply's to the article, I guess you didn't like the summery in my comment.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:43 PM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
This goes hand in hand with declines in the insect population.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/a...hy-it-matters/

There is a growing push to plant wild flowers and native plants anf replacing grass with groundcovers which attract and sustain pollinators. Unfortunately, native plants can be weedy and do not fit the image of a trim lawn beloved by so many, actively enforced by HOA’s and promoted by the lawn care industry. That perfect look maintained by pesticide/herbicides/fertilizers is killing insects and pollinators and polluting water, which has a cascading effect on other wildlife, birds just being one of the many.

You should have stopped before adding the comment highlighted. It's the perfect look that's eliminating the habitat the pollinators, other insects & birds need for food & cover, not the chemicals that provide the perfect look....A lawn is a desert.

Out here in rural America, Nature still thrives.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:21 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
You should have stopped before adding the comment highlighted. It's the perfect look that's eliminating the habitat the pollinators, other insects & birds need for food & cover, not the chemicals that provide the perfect look....A lawn is a desert.

Out here in rural America, Nature still thrives.
You do a disservice to deserts by lumping them in with a Scott’s lawn. Lawns were not always a sterile environment and deserts never have been.

Dandelions and clover were declared weeds to be sprayed into oblivion to get that perfect look and grass could not go to seed anymore to maintain the “correct” height. Without clover to fix nitrogen in the soil, fertilizer is needed. No dandelions meant no nectar for pollinators. Grass not going to seed is one less food source for birds. The destroy/restore cycle of a perfect lawn makes chemical use a never ending circle of profit with dire results.

Nature thrives wherever native plants are allowed to flourish.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-08-2019 at 05:37 AM..

Old 10-09-2019, 06:16 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
You do a disservice to deserts by lumping them in with a Scott’s lawn. Lawns were not always a sterile environment and deserts never have been.

Dandelions and clover were declared weeds to be sprayed into oblivion to get that perfect look and grass could not go to seed anymore to maintain the “correct” height. Without clover to fix nitrogen in the soil, fertilizer is needed. No dandelions meant no nectar for pollinators. Grass not going to seed is one less food source for birds. The destroy/restore cycle of a perfect lawn makes chemical use a never ending circle of profit with dire results.

Nature thrives wherever native plants are allowed to flourish.

You're absolutely right. Good post. (I was being poetic about deserts.)

My "lawn" is the 10 ft strip of ground right in front of the porch, the house sitting in the middle of a 30 ac meadow. We only mow it to about a 6 in. height every couple weeks. I was amazed to notice that bumble bees apparently prefer to feed on the dull plantain flowers as opposed to the white or red clover growing right next to them....Even this late in Oct we had several American Painted Ladies feeding on the clover yesterday.

Bees really like clover, dandelions and the dreaded Creeping Charlie, but those are tabu in the manicured lawns of Suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature